Garmin Elevation Tracking Problem

Jan. 10, 2014, 9:45 p.m.

I am assuming your problem is a problem because you are using it to track elevation during your ride per your article? Uploading to Garmin Connect or Strava will correct it based on topo data after the ride of course. If you really want to track elevation during rides accurately I would use a Suunto altimeter watch, which is pretty standard for ski mountaineer types. I don't even bother with the GPS elevation numbers because they are so far off.

Jan. 10, 2014, 9:47 p.m.

a change of 3 mb is equivalent to something like 20-25 m of elevation

think it's a sign to put the bike away for the winter - it's skiing season

Jan. 10, 2014, 10:06 p.m.

Oh noes, his goal is ruined!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 11, 2014, 6:43 p.m.

I use a Garmin Etrex 20 to record ride data and it doesn't use barometric pressure…the results are pretty representative of the ride. I can easily find various sections of the ride based on the elevation profile.

I have never seen any glaring errors in the elevation data.

Jan. 13, 2014, 7:52 a.m.

Use the iPhone app. It's super accurate;)

Shed head!

Jan. 13, 2014, 9:11 a.m.

Karma for not riding trails in the super wet?

:canada:

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

I am assuming your problem is a problem because you are using it to track elevation during your ride per your article? Uploading to Garmin Connect or Strava will correct it based on topo data after the ride of course. If you really want to track elevation during rides accurately I would use a Suunto altimeter watch, which is pretty standard for ski mountaineer types. I don't even bother with the GPS elevation numbers because they are so far off.

Yeah, I would like to have a reliable elevation tracker as part of my training plan. I'll see about the Suunto watch as I do have access to one.

a change of 3 mb is equivalent to something like 20-25 m of elevation

think it's a sign to put the bike away for the winter - it's skiing season

So if I climbed 60 metres, the pressure magically increased as I went uphill, at just enough a rate to make it look like I was going slightly downhill?

With this year's ski season saying it's time to put away the bike is a straight up joke. ONE good weekend so far?

I use a Garmin Etrex 20 to record ride data and it doesn't use barometric pressure…the results are pretty representative of the ride. I can easily find various sections of the ride based on the elevation profile.

I have never seen any glaring errors in the elevation data.

This is the only error I've seen out of it. The old Garmin 500 I had was not nearly as accurate as this unit.

Karma for not riding trails in the super wet?

Funnily enough this was on Thursday, which was the last day I rode. Environment Canada reported 13mm of rain Thursday, 17mm Friday, 42mm Saturday, and 9mm on Sunday. I know of a lot of other people who went riding in the weekend deluge. For now I'll keep the karma points.

flickr

Jan. 13, 2014, 11:40 a.m.

The usual suspects were all great in the rain on Saturday: pingu, pangor, empress bypass, BP, sticks'n'stones, etc. No regrets here.

Jan. 14, 2014, 12:04 a.m.

Altitude accuracy is off more than horizontal accuracy.

The more satellites that are in in view, the better the accuracy, but there aren't always the same amount of satellites in view, and the ones that are can be blocked by things such as trees and buildings. There can also be signal degradation through the atmosphere.

I use the barometer within the GPS and vertical accuracy is a lot better than just a GPS signal. I use a known point and set the altitude (i.e. my home), and it's typically pretty good for a few hours unless there's a fairly quick pressure change.

Another decent explanation to why elevation accuracy isn't as good as horizontal accuracy:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10915

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells