Garmin Edge 530 + Trailforks

April 6, 2022, 7:33 a.m.

Thanks to a discussion in these forums I decided to replace my trusty 10+ year old Garmin Etrex 20 on my mountain bike with a fancy Edge 530. This was mostly for the Trailforks integration. I got TF loaded on my 530. I was noticing on yesterday's ride that a popular trail I was on didn't show up on the Edge's map even when I zoomed in all the way. The same trail shows up on TFs on my phone and computer.

Any thoughts on what could be going on and how to get the full trail database on the 530?

I did go through the process of linking the 530 to my phone and authorizing the 530 by signing into TFs on my phone.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 6, 2022, 7:35 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
April 6, 2022, 9:09 a.m.

I believe (though this information is several years old) that Garmin does not pull new mapping data from providers very frequently.  So if the trail is relatively recent (or at least relatively recent on TF) , then Garmin may not have the latest data.

I don't think there's anything you can do as an individual to fix this, though maybe open a support with Trailforks to check the specific trail???

April 6, 2022, 9:20 a.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

I believe (though this information is several years old) that Garmin does not pull new mapping data from providers very frequently. So if the trail is relatively recent (or at least relatively recent on TF) , then Garmin may not have the latest data.

That would make sense. It is a newer trail [less than 2 years I think]. Thanks for the response.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 6, 2022, 9:20 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 7, 2022, 8:12 a.m.

I managed to contact a local rider with a 530 and he showed me a photo of his device with the trail in question on it. So at least I know I should be able to update my TF database somehow. I'll play around with the device and see what I can do.

April 7, 2022, 8:19 a.m.

I don't have a Garmin but on this Trailforks page you can download Garmin map files for TF regions. The map file for BC is named "3002_2021_12_02_british-columbia_mtb.img" so it looks like it was last updated Dec 2nd 2021.

April 7, 2022, 8:23 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I don't have a Garmin but on this Trailforks page you can download Garmin map files for TF regions. The map file for BC is named "3002_2021_12_02_british-columbia_mtb.img" so it looks like it was last updated Dec 2nd 2021.

Thanks. My device has the local TF map, but it seems out of date since it's missing some of the newer trails. So I need to figure out how to force/encourage it to update its database.

April 7, 2022, 8:34 a.m.

I recently got a 530 as well, so I hope you are able to figure this out. Don't want to regret my purchase!

April 7, 2022, 8:40 a.m.

Posted by: jgshinton

I recently got a 530 as well, so I hope you are able to figure this out. Don't want to regret my purchase!

Now that I have a local with a 530 to compare to I feel like it's just a matter of playing around with the device, phone app and computer app!! The answer is in there somewhere. ;-)

April 7, 2022, 8:48 a.m.

At least there is hope for the next iteration of the product: 

https://careers-us.garmin.com/us/en/job/220001U/User-Experience-Designer-1

"Our outdoor team is seeking a full-time User Experience Designer 1..."

"Produce creative, simple and highly usable solutions for how products interact in response to human behavior"

😉

April 7, 2022, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

At least there is hope for the next iteration of the product: 

https://careers-us.garmin.com/us/en/job/220001U/User-Experience-Designer-1

"Our outdoor team is seeking a full-time User Experience Designer 1..."

"Produce creative, simple and highly usable solutions for how products interact in response to human behavior"

😉

Ha! That would be nice. My experience with Garmin is that even for a moderately tech savvy person setup/modification of the devices is overly complex/hard. Once setup or if you are happy with preset/stock condition they aren't too bad to use. The part that is a bit mystifying to me [not being in that field] is that the stuff they need the 530 and similar devices to do is already done on phones so it should just be a matter or copy that, but in a stripped down way.

April 7, 2022, 10:52 a.m.

Interesting development. I just plugged my 530 into my computer and ran Garmin Express. It offered me a TF map update to the current version. So I downloaded it. What's strange is I have done the same thing a dozen times over the last week and rec'd a few updates, but not this one. I have no idea why Garmin decided today was the day for me to have the new TF maps?!?! Anyways I'll take it!

April 7, 2022, 6:22 p.m.

Curious if there’s any service difference between paid Trailforks and free. I don’t ever recall linking Garmin connect to it …

Sadly I lost my 530 somewhere so I have to buy a new one. Stings a bit to buy once. Stings a lot to buy a second time because I got distracted and left it sitting on my bumper.

April 8, 2022, 6:29 a.m.

Speaking of losing the 530 one thing I am not stoked about is the o-rings used to hold the mount to the bars. Makes for fast tool-free install/removal, but I'd rather use zipties and never worry about looking down and seeing empty space on the bars where the 530 was.

April 8, 2022, 7:53 a.m.

The tether works as intended. I’ve had mine pop out of the mount after a crash but then it’s just hanging from the tether. 

So that way you’re not looking for your GPS and your dignity all at once.

April 8, 2022, 8:04 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

The tether works as intended. I’ve had mine pop out of the mount after a crash but then it’s just hanging from the tether.

So that way you’re not looking for your GPS and your dignity all at once.

I don't have the tether installed. One more thing flapping around I don't need. A secure mount is better than adding a backup string. My old Etrex lived on my bars for a decade without jumping ship.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 8, 2022, 8:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.