Garage Frame Building.

April 23, 2014, 1:27 p.m.

It's been a long term goal of mine to build my own frames. Many many hours have been spent reading about how on the internet. Tons of great info out there shared by both pro's and other home garage builders.

Last fall/winter I started collecting the needed pieces to make it happen. There really isn't much needed if you choose to braze a frame. An oxy/acetylene torch, some files, a way to measure angles, a hack saw, a vise, and a stand are the bare bones. Proper bicycle tubing is available from several different suppliers in the US, I bought a couple tube sets from Cycles Nova..

For the brazing rig I opted for oxy/propane. There is a great resource thread that has been posted by mater builder and instructor Doug Fattic on another forum about using propane instead of acetylene. In that he goes further on how to use an oxygen concentrator instead of bottled oxygen. The concentrator was bought used at a discount due to a scratch on the cover. As a system it's cheaper to buy and run, also really nice to have have to deal with a weld shop or worry about a bottle running out on the weekend.

The torch is a Uniweld 71 running specific multi fuel tips. These smaller torches are called aircraft torches and are a size or two down from what most auto/mech shops have around. For a bike frame it's all you need and being lighter easier to flick around.

So you have a brazing rig and tubes. Time for the nitty gritty. A full scale drawing of your frame is going to be needed. I opted again for the bare bones old school basic paper and pen. Some guys do the bike up in CAD then print it.

Geometry and fit are personal. The nice thing about custom is it's designed for me by me. A little bit longer front centre and a bit lower than some bikes, not as slack as say a Ragley, but slacker than a Chromag…

You map all that out and your drawing is your template. This will give you all of your tube intersection angles. They are needed to get your miters right once you start hitting tubes with files.

to be continued…

April 23, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

This is cool…. looking forward to seeing more.

April 23, 2014, 5:11 p.m.

This is awesome.I have been thinking about this for a long time.You'd never bitch about a bike you hand built would you.WOULD YA;)

April 23, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

Although I'm still fighting to finish my garage, I do find the thought of building a frame interesting. Look forward to seeing more updates.

April 23, 2014, 7:44 p.m.

Paul Brodie offers a course out in Abby at the Tradex i have been out there a couple times when he has a open house . I got to know Paul yrs back when he was building the Excelsior boardtrack racers , he hand built all those frames in his shop at home .

i myself have considered it as well , i have all the equipment and a place to do it just never have committed to it , i had sketches and notes for a single pivot design and a freeride hardtail , but that was back in the 90,s .

today it,s alot easier tons of sites and info at the click of a button .

http://flashbackfab.com/frame-building-school/student-finished-bikes/

http://flashbackfab.com/excelsior-project-paul-brodie/excelsior-engine-production/#_Frame_Update

here,s a link to the school and Paul,s frame build for the Excelsior

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 23, 2014, 8:38 p.m.

This is such a wicked project - looking forward to seeing it finished. :beer:

April 24, 2014, 5:19 a.m.

Paul's excelsiors are amazing - building an extinct bike (he had only pictures to work with) from the ground up. Ie, fabricating everything including the engine. Staggering. This one sold for $129k:

http://flashbackfab.com/excelsior-004-sold/

And: fantastic work, Brian. Would love to build a frame one day…

April 24, 2014, 5:54 a.m.

Paul's excelsiors are amazing - building an extinct bike (he had only pictures to work with) from the ground up. Ie, fabricating everything including the engine. Staggering. This one sold for $129k:

http://flashbackfab.com/excelsior-004-sold/

And: fantastic work, Brian. Would love to build a frame one day…

ya they are a work of art , i had lots of fun working with Paul on various parts related to the build of these bikes .

and keep at it Brian , looking forward to seeing the finished project as you progress and share .

#northsidetrailbuilders

April 24, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

Paul Brodie offers a course out in Abby at the Tradex i have been out there a couple times when he has a open house . I got to know Paul yrs back when he was building the Excelsior boardtrack racers , he hand built all those frames in his shop at home .

I went out to one of the open houses early last winter. I made my first stack of brass blobs under Paul's instruction.

His work is amazing. Reading how the original builders just started building frame with next to nothing is part of what inspired me to just jump in and give it a go.

April 24, 2014, 9:51 a.m.

Looks like fun.

Are you planning to do some strength testing prior to riding or do you just hop on and go?

April 24, 2014, 10:33 a.m.

Looks like fun.

Are you planning to do some strength testing prior to riding or do you just hop on and go?

I was thinking of hitting the Brutus gap on it's first run.

The brazed joints should be stronger than the tubes. So failure mode is a crumpled tube before something like the head tube snaps off.

If my brazes suck that would be a longevity issue. A crack would develop down the road due to me over cooking a joint.

This first frame won't see service long enough to tell me how well I did. It will get retired to the rafters once #2 gets build later this spring. It's replacement will be 650b with 44mm head tube and a seat tube able to handle a 31.6 dropper post with stealth routing.

April 24, 2014, 10:45 a.m.

I was thinking of hitting the Brutus gap on it's first run.

Video please.

Thanks for the info. I was curious as to how the construction quality comes into play with the frame's stength.

April 24, 2014, 10:57 a.m.

It's replacement will be 650b with 44mm head tube and a seat tube able to handle a 31.6 dropper post with stealth routing.

When will you be taking custom orders? I'll place my deposit now…

29er, 44mm, 31.6 stealth, 130mm fork, 68HT, 73ST, 16.9CS, raw finish please!

April 24, 2014, 11:01 a.m.

Ive always thought about doing this one day but never enough to research it seriously. Now that my garage is all set you've got me thinking this would be a great winter project

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

April 24, 2014, 11:03 a.m.

When will you be taking custom orders? I'll place my deposit now…

29er, 44mm, 31.6 stealth, 130mm fork, 68HT, 73ST, 16.9CS, raw finish please!

Place order now for 2017 deliver. Payment in full up front :)

By then I might have build enough practice frames to actually think I'd let anyone else ride one.