Full Suspension replacement for aging Chromag Rootdown?

March 27, 2021, 9:08 a.m.

Chromag is working on  a dually , so is WeAreOne. No idea on time frames LOL.

March 27, 2021, 3:21 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

sheesh, NO talking about prototypes, this is NSMB after all

March 27, 2021, 3:34 p.m.

I’d love a Chromag FS if they were good.

March 27, 2021, 5:38 p.m.

I’d love a Chromag FS if they were light..

March 28, 2021, 9:21 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

What if we have pictures?

March 28, 2021, 4:09 p.m.

These have been in the rumour mill for a long time. 

Would love to see a steel chromag and a carbon WAO coming out of BC but even if they announce on April 1 we all know the regular joe isn’t going to get their hands on one until next year.

March 28, 2021, 4:54 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

What if we have pictures?

that will ruin the companies in an instant

March 29, 2021, 8:26 p.m.

Another recommendation for Knolly... I went from a Rootdown to a 2020 Knolly Warden and haven't looked back (nothing against Chromag, the Rootdown is an amazing machine; my knees, however, are less amazing). I would bet that if you reach out to Knolly directly, if there is something they can do to get you a frame in the UK, they will. Their customer service is fantastic.

March 29, 2021, 9:06 p.m.

that will ruin the companies in an instant

You mean besides the pics/leaks they've posted themselves?

March 30, 2021, 4:35 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Would love to see a steel chromag and a carbon WAO coming out of BC but even if they announce on April 1 we all know the regular joe isn’t going to get their hands on one until next year.

Not rumour mill facts!!! Was told to my face about the WAO bike by an employee. And following the images on Instagram . Chromag is moving right along with their dually. And yes they maybe a year or so away. Still nice to see Canadian made frames again!!

March 30, 2021, 8:24 p.m.

Not rumour mill facts!!! Was told to my face about the WAO bike by an employee. And following the images on Instagram . Chromag is moving right along with their dually. And yes they maybe a year or so away. Still nice to see Canadian made frames again!!

well facts that they are working on something, rumour-mill it is going to be at market any time soon. Big difference. 

There is a lot that can happen between protyping, getting to production, and actually selling. 

Not saying it isn't happening, I just wouldn't be waiting on either of them if I needed a bike sooner rather than later.

April 1, 2021, 5:25 a.m.

Banshee Prime build is finished!

New forks were justified based on the fact that old ones were a bit short in the steerer and I could hand them down to the eldest, which means we would have a spare pair of forks for the youngest when he inevitably outgrows his current bike. #trickledownbikeonomics in full effect.

Fox own Marz now so that’s the mismatched OCD placated and it’s a BOMBER! Just seemed right for a Banshee.

The Chromag was stripped unceremoniously of her bits and hung on the garage wall and parts moved over to this build.

The build went smoothly (despite me forgetting to order a different front brake adaptor) with only the internal routing proving to be a learning curve and one of the tiny internal routing cover screws disappearing down the chasm of the routing port into the frame, necessitating removing the forks to retrieve it. I don’t believe I’m the first to do this…

Traditional First Ride Pic:

I mean, just look at it, it’s magnificent.

After the first ride I have reasonable base settings sorted for the suspension and the bike feels ace, but I’m sure I can wring more awesome out of it.

Specs for those we care about such things.

Frame: Banshee Prime V3 Size: L, Shorter (CS are still long) Dropouts, set in Low/Slack.

Shock: Fox DPX2 Performance Elite

Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z1 160mm

Headset: Banshee Munro

Seatclamp: Chromag NQR

Stem: Chromag Ranger

Bar: Chromag OSX

Grips: SDG Thrice

Dropper: Brand-X Ascend 150

Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster

Wheels: DT Swiss E1900 (boosted with Mt Zoom Centrelock boost kit)

Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF EXO (MaxxTerra 2.5 on the Front, Dual Compound 2.3 on the back)

Brakes: Shimano XT 4 Pot, 203mm rotor up front, 180mm out back.

Drivetrain: Shimano 10 speed mixture of SLX, XT, Zee, Deore with a Superstar Components chain ring

Pedals: Saint clips

Bottle cage: Zefal from a French Supermarket in the 2000s that i have loving hand bent for extra grip.

Mudguard: RRP Bolt On Mini

Possible upgrades/changes

1) Sturdier rear tyre probably Maxxis DD casing (Probably a 2.4 DHR2) or fit the Specialized Blck Dmnd Butchers I have in the garage on this wheelset for rocky rocky smashy smashy terrain . Also have some other slightly lighter wheels currently being rebuilt that I could swap the EXO tyres onto. Options...

2) Maybe a longer dropper, can justify that when the 150mm one gets passed down to the kids.

3) Boost wheels with Microspline Freehub when I run out of functional wheels...

4) ...Shimano 12 speed once i have run out of functional 10 speed parts.

Last edited by: DanLees1978 on April 1, 2021, 5:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 8, 2021, 4:45 a.m.

That is oh so nice! Congrats on a nice bike, i would have gotten the same if they had my size in stock.

April 9, 2021, 10:27 a.m.

well facts that they are working on something, rumour-mill it is going to be at market any time soon. Big difference. 

There is a lot that can happen between protyping, getting to production, and actually selling. 

Not saying it isn't happening, I just wouldn't be waiting on either of them if I needed a bike sooner rather than later.

WAO is riding the bike now.

Aug. 4, 2021, 9:39 p.m.

https://nsmb.com/articles/2022-weareone-arrival-here/