Full Face Helmets

May 5, 2022, 1:59 p.m.

Was thinking of upgrading my full face helmet as my current one is getting old and the bike park is opening soon. What are people wearing these days? Taking a look at different models online and it looks like a lot of the current popular FF helmets are those lighter enduro style ones. Are any of you guys using those for bike park use? Most of them have the full DH certification but still not sure I'd want one in the bike park. I'm a pretty tame rider and only ride the bike park 5 or so days per year so I could probably get away with it but not sure if it's worth the risk.

May 5, 2022, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Was thinking of upgrading my full face helmet as my current one is getting old and the bike park is opening soon. What are people wearing these days? Taking a look at different models online and it looks like a lot of the current popular FF helmets are those lighter enduro style ones. Are any of you guys using those for bike park use? Most of them have the full DH certification but still not sure I'd want one in the bike park. I'm a pretty tame rider and only ride the bike park 5 or so days per year so I could probably get away with it but not sure if it's worth the risk.

I’m in the same boat as you. I decided on going with a full new proper DH helmet because in the unlikely event that something bad did happen and I was using one of the lighter enduro style ones I’d hate to be asking myself if the injury would have been less severe if I’d gone with the full blown DH version. That’s just me though and I tend to be a person who chooses very comprehensive insurance…

May 5, 2022, 5:20 p.m.

I prefer the security of a real DH helmet even for the very few times I visit a bike park. There are some decent ones that are pretty good value like the 7iDP M1. I used one only once on a half day of shuttling in France but was pretty impressed with it given its low price (although I didn't crash-test it!).

Now that I will be moving closer to a bike park (Mt Washington) there may be some lift days in my near future again so I'm going to keep an eye on this thread since my old Urge full face is probably overdue for replacement.

May 6, 2022, 12:29 a.m.

If you get one of the Enduro-style FF helmets, you may end up using it more outside the Bikepark, increasing total safety by quite a bit.

May 6, 2022, 1:08 p.m.

7IDP project 23 works really well for me across the board for non-bike park riding and I've worn it when I'm riding at WBP as well, but it doesn't feel as locked in like a "proper" DH helmet like a Giro Disciple for example. But then again, I'm not riding Dirt Merchant, Schleyer, A-Line or Goats Gully either yet.

May 10, 2022, 4:13 p.m.

I run a lightweight full face (Fox ProFrame) on most of my trail rides, as long as they are not too long, for the extra protection.. I get hot and sweat a lot so was surprised to not really mind wearing it. For bike park I have a Giro Disciple MIPS DH rated full face. I've used the ProFrame in Whistler on rides that end up outside the park with some pedaling (Top of the World) but I want the real deal for full park days with high speed jump trails etc.

May 11, 2022, 8:08 a.m.

Good thread. I've been wanting to pick up a vented Enduro FF so I actually wear it. The DH lid (TLD D2) just doesn't get worn outside of my handful of park or shuttle days a year since I run hot and don't like the clammy, constrained feel.

Anyone with a narrow head have a vented FF that fits well?  Fox used to be pretty good for my head shape, but that was a loooong time ago.

May 12, 2022, 10:47 a.m.

Posted by: Timer

If you get one of the Enduro-style FF helmets, you may end up using it more outside the Bikepark, increasing total safety by quite a bit.

Bought a Fox Proframe just for the bike park, and now I wear it on 75% of my rides. 

Buddie did the same with the Smith Mainline and only wears it now. 

Of the two, the Mainline seems better "quality". It's nice and plush inside, and the shell looks great. It seemed a little heavier/bulkier though even though there isn't much difference on the spec sheet. Mainline is almost double the price though...

Overall, just go with the one that fits your head best. That's the most important part.

May 13, 2022, 10:46 a.m.

Posted by: JVP

Good thread. I've been wanting to pick up a vented Enduro FF so I actually wear it. The DH lid (TLD D2) just doesn't get worn outside of my handful of park or shuttle days a year since I run hot and don't like the clammy, constrained feel.

Anyone with a narrow head have a vented FF that fits well? Fox used to be pretty good for my head shape, but that was a loooong time ago.

I just picked up my first enduro full face recently too thinking I'd use it for park and riding bigger local features. Now I find I'm wearing it on most of my rides, a lot more than the half shell, as it's so comfy, well vented, and provides a better sense of security.

I've got a narrow head and found the Smith Mainline fits my head shape well. I originally bought a Troy Lee Stage but never got it to fit right. So sold that, tried on a lot of helmets (including the FOX Proframe) and ended up with the Smith Mainline. I found the IXS Trigger FF felt pretty good on a narrow head too, but for me the Smith Mainline fit just a little bit better and also feels a little more burly, closer to a full DH helmet.

Last edited by: breakdance32 on May 13, 2022, 10:50 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 13, 2022, 3:52 p.m.

I have a Leatt Enduro V4 which has been fantastic.  Light, breathes very well, removable chin bar so you can run it as a half lid if you wanted.  Maybe a bit on the costly side, but I have no regrets buying it.

May 16, 2022, 9:32 a.m.

Posted by: JVP

Anyone with a narrow head have a vented FF that fits well? Fox used to be pretty good for my head shape, but that was a loooong time ago.

To be honest, I would no longer wear a D2 simply because new DH lids have upped the game of protection, I think. And I do not want to give fortune, that fickle mistress, more chances to ruin my biking or my life because of a serious concussion, or worse.

No intention of derailing the thread.

And my observation from park riding (not Whistler) is that most people ride at higher speeds in parks and should probably be wearing a dedicated DH lid. Enduro ff are good, no question, but the intended use was (and is) racing, so they have been designed for reducing risk as much as possible while being pedal friendly on stages that last longer than a typical DH race. Just my two cents, I am just scared of really hurting my nogging in a serious crash.

Last edited by: Mic on May 16, 2022, 9:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 16, 2022, 8 p.m.

I have a ixs trigger, and use it for all my riding, but I don’t ride park.  They weigh less than 600g, which is crazy light. Id use a full DH FF for the park, the trigger isn’t substantial enough

May 18, 2022, 1:19 p.m.

I have the Bell Super DH. It is the only removable jaw helmet that is DH rated. I really like it.

May 18, 2022, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: breakdance32
I've got a narrow head and found the Smith Mainline fits my head shape well.

I've tried on the Mainline, and it's not the one. I guess not all narrow heads are shaped the same.

May 18, 2022, 2:54 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

I have the Bell Super DH. It is the only removable jaw helmet that is DH rated. I really like it.

I believe the Giro Switchblade is also DH rated with and without the chinbar - but it's also effing hot at the best of times. 

I liked it a lot (and Giro fit my skull perfectly which Bell do not unfortunately) but considering I was carrying the chinbar with me on all rides, it didn't make much sense to have a removable chinbar as I so rarely wore the halfshell on it's own, apart from low consequence trails/speeds - but the Giro was very hot and made a terrible halfshell.
So enduro-lite FF helmet on most rides which I can hang off the handlebars or pack for riding up, half shell for toddling about and a DH certified FF helmet for big speed and consequence lift accessed rides

Last edited by: DanL on May 18, 2022, 2:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.