Free ride vs All Mountain -- which?

May 17, 2007, 10 p.m.

if thats ur price range, hard to get into a heckler. I think they are attempting ot make it more pure triail than fr since the nomad is in the line. I think the one from a year or two ago was more versatile. Bang for buck, norco six, or fluid. Ur splitin hairs a bit, but that is why norco is so good. Six with light parts is epic, fluid with tuff wheels and fork up grade is shuttle worthy. I have stumbled acros a fat possum, and find it great for all tech, climb and trail. it is not a free ride bike though. one or two 4 foot drops per trail, ok…poundin joy ride all day, no. More flex in the rear. Hard to lean into a berm like a free ride bike but…rough tech xc..pretty damn good. Not much move ment needed to adjust for steep climbs, geometry for up and down riding is good. Smaller reign or enduro would kill too. Again, for the price, Norco or Kona. Almost always.

WTF, Over?

May 18, 2007, 10:21 a.m.

Norco Six balances between all mtn and freeride, I'd say more in direction all mtn, but it's not superlight bike (frame weights 4.300g while Heckler less than 3.8kg I think). Six surprised me most with its climbing abilities, suspension(4bar link) climbs great especially in technical terrain, the more technical the uphill is, the biggest pleasure You get. It saves priceless energy when You plan to cover longer distances in the mtns. What havent surprised me much is its ability to hit hard the downhills, nothing to complain about, susp. works great.

I've done my first epics with Six, I've noticed clear advantages over my old full susp. bike (1bar link.) - even if Six weighs about 1.5-2lbs more, it has better suspension, better geometry that let You go with more comfort, You may appreaciate it after 7-8hrs of riding. Though I think You need something more like SC Superlight or Fluid.

Write what You have choosen, tough choice

May 18, 2007, 12:51 p.m.

[QUOTE=Sebas'n;1688182]Norco Six balances between all mtn and freeride, I'd say more in direction all mtn, but it's not superlight bike (frame weights 4.300g while Heckler less than 3.8kg I think). Six surprised me most with its climbing abilities, suspension(4bar link) climbs great especially in technical terrain, the more technical the uphill is, the biggest pleasure You get. It saves priceless energy when You plan to cover longer distances in the mtns. What havent surprised me much is its ability to hit hard the downhills, nothing to complain about, susp. works great.

Yeah, Epics on my Six are so much easier, and I have yet to find the upper limit of the downhill capabilities. The bike goes huge! I've got mine sitting a touch under 37lb, and it has really light wheels. I can pedal it all day without fatiguing too much.

May 18, 2007, 4:44 p.m.

I had a chance to see the Six and Fluid side by side, at the Caps in Coquitlam (the boss was at Michaels). The mechanic there thought the Six over the Fluid, the Six 2 is $1900 so it is right in my price range

May 18, 2007, 5:11 p.m.

I had a chance to see the Six and Fluid side by side, at the Caps in Coquitlam (the boss was at Michaels). The mechanic there thought the Six over the Fluid, the Six 2 is $1900 so it is right in my price range [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; but then I saw the Gary Fisher Cake 3 (must be an '05 or '06 model) a very nice looking bike.

The other young buck on the floor said his dad rides with his buddies on Bby Mtn and uses a Six, but the Cake is definetly prettier [HTML_REMOVED]#8212; things to remember :announce: "Do not buy a bike based on colour!" :rolleyes:

Forget the Fisher. You cannot go wrong with a Norco. Hell, I've done a few all-mounatin runs at Syncline in Bingen, WA on my Shore without much grief, and the Six makes the Shore look like a semi-truck by comparison. The geometry is spot-on for just about any kind of aggressive riding as well.

Norco all the way…..

"If at first you don't succeed, it will definitely leave a mark!!"

facebook.com/robholio

I wish people would stop whining about braking bumps, they happen and thats why there is full suspension, man up ya posers…

sliding downhill is like sex or pizza …even the bad stuff is pretty good

May 24, 2007, 11:18 p.m.

Is there any reason no one has mentioned the Rocky Mountain Slayer family? It sounds like a great bike for what he was describing? They have '06 Slayer 30 models at the factory for around $1700.

May 24, 2007, 11:18 p.m.

Is there any reason no one has mentioned the Rocky Mountain Slayer family? It sounds like a great bike for what he was describing? They have '06 Slayer 30 models at the factory for around $1700.

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/slayer/slayer-30.aspx

May 25, 2007, 12:49 a.m.

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2006/slayer/slayer-30.aspx

The slayers are a comparable bike, the geometry is almost the same for the ReignX/Six/Slayer/Nomad.

May 25, 2007, 4:41 a.m.

I actually had the Rocky Mountain Slayer on my original list, but the SFU bike store closed, and now I guess I would have to drive out to Surrey or head out to Commercial drive or West Van for a test drive…

And the weather is so nice, it is so hard not to just hop on the bike and go for a ride instead.

Oddly, just today I met a gentleman riding his Rocky Mtn ETSX (I think -70 with the Talas shocks).

May 25, 2007, 8:27 a.m.

Your riding is pretty much what I do (Lower Seymour (Neds, Bridal Path, etc..); occasionally head up to CBC). I have an old-school Kona Stinky which is 34 lbs and has been a real work horse for me. I am thinking of getting into something ligher and the bikes I am looking at are

- Kona Dawg (because my good experience with my Stinky)
- Rocky Mountain ETSX (comes in at 28 lbs)
- Rocky Mountain Element (more of a XC bike really)

I would be hesitant to get a bike that was more than 35 lbs based on the riding you described.

cheers

b

May 25, 2007, 10:35 a.m.

try a C-dale prophet

if you think the lefty is sketchy they now come with an SC fork

at interbike in the 1st year we rode bikes back to back where we would take 4 bikes and swap back n forth

against the early reign,an uzzi,a big devinci on for the tight trails coming down off the top in boulder canyon everyone liked the prophet best

of course your milage may vary

May 26, 2007, 10:39 p.m.

Last month I bought a Rockey Mountain Slayer 30 from Different Bikes on Seymour Rd. in North Van. Awesome shop, lifetime free service and wicked deals on parts! They have a couple '06 Slayer 30's for real cheap(almost half price).

I beefed it up a bit for riding hard on the Squamish trails and playing in the Whistler bike park. It seems to soak up the bumps great with the Marzocchi Dropoff 3 (6" travel) and the Fox RP3 rear shock (6" travel)

I put a set of Mavic 721 rims with Maxxis Advantage 2.4's on it. Blackspire stinger and bash guard. It seems to be a great all mountain bike, though I don't have allot of experience to compare with. Eventhough, I love this bike but will probably buy a DH or Freeride bike next year to add to my collection.

June 2, 2007, 12:31 a.m.

Finally got to try some bikes:

Rocky Mountain ETSX - very similar ride to my hard tail in feel

Specialized Stump Jumper FSR - handles very nice

Specialized Enduro 2006 model - like riding a couch (in nice way, very plush)

I need some more rides, but even though the Enduro was heavier to lift, it felt easier to pedal - a geometry thing I suspect, will have to look up the specs. I think I prefered the Enduro's cockpit, but the Stumpy's flickability.

See the 2007 Enduro has a dif design.

June 2, 2007, 1:30 a.m.

I've got to say I think one of the best (the best?) AM bike out there at the moment is the Cove Hustler. It can be built sub-30lb with 140mm forks, the price is good, the geo spot on and they can take plenty of abuse (more than say the kikapu, superlight, FSR, dawg etc.) Rear suspension works very well, the bike as a whole is very 'playful'. Dirt reviewed it and loved it, its the only magazine I trust (most of the time) when it comes to reviews. It climbs well, and descends really well. Sounds perfect for you, its definately what I would go for were I buying that kind of bike…

June 3, 2007, 3:41 p.m.

i have a zealot frame built up as a freeride bike and i love it, it climbs really well and is strong enough for anything i throw at it. i have mine built up with a 66 though so i couldnt tell you about the stock build, but i highly recomend the bike, it is really fun to ride.