Frame warranty - am I being unreasonable?

Oct. 14, 2020, 9:31 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Gonna hijack this thread as I think it is nearing its natural conclusion I suspect.

I got a oneup dropper v2 this year. It was on a build for about 15 rides. It clicked with each pedal stroke. Oneup was very good and replaced it. 

I put the new one in a new bike in late July. It was not the fastest returning post but worked and didn't click. After about two months of semi-regular use i took it out and rebuilt it as it was returning very slow. Reason for the slow return was no grease. Everything was perfectly clean but there was almost no grease. I cleaned and lubed it all and now it works as it should have out of the box. 

Here is the rub. I noticed that the stantion of the post is now showing some signs of wear in the anodizing due to having no lube. It probably won't affect performance ling term but its kinda annoying that I had to remove a brand new post and rebuild it because they didn't put any grease in it.

Should I warranty it or just ride it? It isn't the most expensive dropper so I am leaning towards just riding it. They were pretty good about the last one. I guess you getbwhat you pay for?

I've elected to throw some fork boost on mine and ignore the problem. Will see how that plays out... This has been the most finicky dropper post I've owned since my first one (a second hand crank brothers joplin)!

Oct. 14, 2020, 9:51 p.m.

Is yours oneup as well? If so the tear down is about 5 mins and I have some slickoleum you can use. I tried the fork boost and although it sped up the post it may have added to the anodizing wear as it let me go an extra week before lubing it proper.

Last edited by: RAHrider on Oct. 14, 2020, 9:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 15, 2020, 6:59 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Should I warranty it or just ride it? It isn't the most expensive dropper so I am leaning towards just riding it. They were pretty good about the last one. I guess you getbwhat you pay for?

If it was me I'd contact One Up and just let them know about the situation without making any requests. I've managed quality systems and getting feedback like this can be helpful preventing a lot of issues. Additionally they may just replace the post and if they don't you have a record in their system of the issue should it lead to a more serious problem you want some help with later.

Oct. 15, 2020, 7:33 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

If it was me I'd contact One Up and just let them know about the situation without making any requests. I've managed quality systems and getting feedback like this can be helpful preventing a lot of issues. Additionally they may just replace the post and if they don't you have a record in their system of the issue should it lead to a more serious problem you want some help with later.

This 100%. Just mentioning stuff like this to a company without making any demands or requests can go far. I've had companies warranty/replace stuff without asking. It is possible it was an oversight during manufacturing and they may not be aware of it.

Last edited by: kavurider on Oct. 15, 2020, 7:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 15, 2020, 8:22 p.m.

Yep - viewing it as healthy feedback loop is a great way to help companies improve and get your issues resolved too.

Dec. 18, 2020, 2:14 a.m.

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay since last posting, been busy with work and life in general.

So the story has a happy ending. After getting the bike back and talking to the shop manager and again explaining my position (in a calm, friendly manner, stating that I don't think the shop should be eating any margin, it should be Shimano or the frame manufacturer) they agreed and pushed hard on Shimano. They eventually agreed and covered the cost of inspection and paint repair @ Roberts Composites, and he did a great job on it. Shimano comped them the Roberts cost and I assume shop labour to strip and rebuild the bike. Was just over 3 weeks which seemed fast given how busy shops are.

It's not a Cervelo, I think I mentioned Cervelo because a bike shop friend had the same issue (Shimano chainring failure damaging frame) and Cervelo did a new frame immediately no questions asked.

I hesitate to name the shop, I'm happy with the outcome but it took some prodding but I don't want to cast them in a negative light. Disappointed in the frame manufacturer, Argon 18, who just shrugged their shoulders and were no help, I will not be buying from them again. It's not the main Argon 18 dealer in town... will post pics later.

Last edited by: grambo on Dec. 18, 2020, 2:16 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 18, 2020, 6:17 a.m.

I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction eventually.