frame swap or new complete

April 22, 2010, 4:58 p.m.

Okay, so I have a dilemna. I have a 2007 Kona Coiler, pretty much dialed down away from the XC towards the freeridish category. 55's, code 5's, e.13, easton dh bars, hussefelt stem, blah blah.. Remaining stock parts are the wheels and drivetrain. I am looking to get a bigger bike, size-wise and ride-wise. A little more downhill and bigger hit friendly but can still pedal up a fireroad. But not too big. Something with 7" of travel would be ideal.
Now the question.
Should I sell my current bike, and buy a complete new ride? I was thinking lately that I could part out with the frame and fork only, as the rest of my parts I would be happy with on a larger bike. Checking out the Santa Cruz Bullit and that looked perfect, as long as it isnt too tough on the ol' wallet.
I honestly do not have a lot of bike buying experience and I was wondering what some opinions were.

So, fresh slate or just an update?

thanks

**editted to get rid of the super general title

Aug. 26, 2010, 3:27 p.m.

what your ginna wanna do is sell your bike all together and not buy a new one, biking isn't fun anyways, what are you thinking?

Cafe blog-www.bicyclecafe.blogspot.com !!!
Cafe site-www.bicyclecafe.com/kamloops !!!

Aug. 26, 2010, 4 p.m.

Why not buy this?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=135754

Sell your's for $1,000

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 26, 2010, 5:29 p.m.

Well if the one you want to buy does not fit with the one you have then I suggest you to sell it.

cleaning business

Aug. 26, 2010, 6:18 p.m.

well I kind of did a similar frame swap last off-season. Thought all I needed was a new fork + frame… then a new bottom bracket… then a new rear wheel… then a new seat post… then a new stem… then new shifter cables. By the time I swapped out everything that was 100% necessary I ended up with almost a completely new bike, which I am completely happy with. I got amazing deals on everything so it worked out well for me.

Keep in mind that there will always be more part swaps than anticipated.

As the offseason looms prices will drop as well so keep in mind that swapping stuff at this time of year its a buyers market for sure.

Aug. 26, 2010, 7:40 p.m.

what your ginna wanna do is sell your bike all together and not buy a new one, biking isn't fun anyways, what are you thinking?

Yeah man this is what I was thinking too.. Thanks bro!

But actually I wrote that thread a few months back (it failed, till today) and have made up my mind just goin for a whole new (or new to me) rig. I thought about it and realized it could come down to a lot more than forks that I may need, as you stated Kevin. Lookin to sell mine, so if you are interested, you know where I am :fruit:

For now I am just keeping my eyes peeled, maybe score a sick deal once the 2011's come out.
thanks!