Frame "repair"

Sept. 27, 2016, 9:48 a.m.

I have a steel framed bike I ha built a number of years ago, I was way ahead of the "gravel Grinder" curve as the bike is built to take up to 38's under a fender and has Paul's brakes, low gearing , etc.

I have decided I would like to correct the one mistake I made when the bike was built - I did not have rack mounts added.

So would like to find someone that can add rack mounts for me without buggers get up the powder coat too badly.

Any recommendations for folks that could could do this, especially in the Southern Interior if there are any????

Sept. 27, 2016, 11:40 a.m.

I have a steel framed bike I ha built a number of years ago, I was way ahead of the "gravel Grinder" curve as the bike is built to take up to 38's under a fender and has Paul's brakes, low gearing , etc.

I have decided I would like to correct the one mistake I made when the bike was built - I did not have rack mounts added.

So would like to find someone that can add rack mounts for me without buggers get up the powder coat too badly.

Any recommendations for folks that could could do this, especially in the Southern Interior if there are any????

Don't have a welder to recommend but brazing really isn't that difficult and is all that would be needed for rack mounts. You could also look for the racks that do not require braze-ons.

Also, I'm getting a frame powder coated right now and it really isn't that pricey. For a basic, single colour, job on a roadie it's under $80 so there is always that option if you decide you want to cover the brazing work.

Sept. 27, 2016, 7:47 p.m.

Don't have a welder to recommend but brazing really isn't that difficult and is all that would be needed for rack mounts. You could also look for the racks that do not require braze-ons.

Also, I'm getting a frame powder coated right now and it really isn't that pricey. For a basic, single colour, job on a roadie it's under $80 so there is always that option if you decide you want to cover the brazing work.

Vernon. So who are you getting to do the powder coat.

This bike has a metallic flake powder coat done by Spectrum in Colorado. It is frankly spectacular.

Don't want to ruin it.

Sept. 27, 2016, 9:50 p.m.

Vernon. So who are you getting to do the powder coat.

This bike has a metallic flake powder coat done by Spectrum in Colorado. It is frankly spectacular.

Don't want to ruin it.

Gotcha.

Full Lotus is the name of the place, owner is a rider from what I can tell. Came recommended from a mechanic at sun country cycle.

I'm getting it coated blue with white lugs and metal flaked all over. Cost will definitely be higher than $80 because of the masking and multiple coatings. I'll post a photo when I get it back, though the metal flake probably won't shoe well.

Sept. 27, 2016, 9:55 p.m.

Another option is "p-clamps"

Look here: (sorry on mobile don't have advanced editing features)

http://www.bikecommuters.com/2008/07/19/p-clamps-are-your-friends/