Fox service intervals and premature bushing wear

Aug. 27, 2013, 9:32 a.m.

I sent my Fox Float 36 O/B R into OGC to warranty a creaky crown and was informed that my bushings and stanchions were significantly worn and the bath oil was brown. OGC has suggested that I did not follow the recommended service intervals, which I have.

This is somewhat surprising since the fork came on a 2013 bike that I started riding end of May, and the lowers were dropped and oil replaced end of June. Fox recommends dropping the lowers every 30 hours of riding, and I likely rode about that amount between end of June and early August when the fork was sent in to OGC. So while the fork was likely due for service, it is doubtful that I was negligent here according to what Fox recommends.

What gives? Do I really need to drop the lowers every couple of weeks? It has been quite dusty this summer so it's possible that the dust is able to easily work its way in and cause wear.

Time to buy a Lyrik?

Aug. 27, 2013, 9:40 a.m.

For shits 'n giggles I dropped my lowers after three days of riding the park during those super hot and dusty conditions in July. I was not expecting to find anything other than pristine oil… instead I found small leafy parts and oil that obviously had dirt in it. This was on 2014 40 Air's.

Aug. 27, 2013, 10:20 a.m.

Time to buy a Lyrik?

If you do, make sure you drop the lowers before the first ride to make sure they put enough oil in…nice fork otherwise.

I find the oil a bit dirty in my 36 after a few weeks of dry and dusty as well, more so than after a few weeks in the winter. Easy enough to pull the lowers though. I ride 10-12 hours a week, so yes I actually do pull the lowers often, but it saves the internals. I haven't needed to do an air piston seal, or the dust seals in the lowers in over a year.

I'm wondering how the new Pike will be after the honeymoon is over. My revelation is just grease and 5cc of oil in the lowers. The same for the new Pikes I think.

Aug. 27, 2013, 12:15 p.m.

I think I'll drop my lowers and check my oil when I get home from work!

Aug. 27, 2013, 1:46 p.m.

so the fork was new in May, its already been serviced once, and its already got stanchion/bushing wear???? wow

I run my rockshox maybe 4-500 hours between service intervals. The last Rev went to about 700 hours before the internal air seals started to show wear. So, yeah, thumbs up for the lazy mechanics like me.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 27, 2013, 2:56 p.m.

so the fork was new in May, its already been serviced once, and its already got stanchion/bushing wear???? wow

I know. Very surprising. I am going by what OGC told me and didn't see anything firsthand but apparently the wear and brown oil was found in both legs, so it's likely not due to a faulty part.

Aug. 27, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

all this talk of dropping lowers… makes me think I need a date night

Aug. 27, 2013, 3:46 p.m.

From the sounds of it, the bushings may have been a bit too large from the get go. Did you notice any knocking or rattle ever? I had that with a Fox fork several years ago. Sent it back and was told the bushing play was ridiculous. Warranted and bomber after that. Just changed the lower oil in my new F29 and it was pretty clean after about 30 hours, maybe less. But I have bushing play so it's going back. It happens. It's not like any fork out there has a perfect record.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 27, 2013, 5:31 p.m.

Take it to Suspensionwerx and see what they have to say. Have had nothing but stellar service from them.

Shed head!

Sept. 3, 2013, 8:42 p.m.

Pretty sure it is 4 hours ride time = service for Fox coil's and 8-10 hours for Float/Talas systems. Try keeping ontop of that schedule ahah.

- bike sexual

Sept. 3, 2013, 8:58 p.m.

Most of the damage comes from compacted dust under wiper seals and dry bushings/seals before riding. Takes 5 mins to clean/lube and your fork has way less static friction.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Sept. 4, 2013, 8:43 a.m.

Most of the damage comes from compacted dust under wiper seals and dry bushings/seals before riding. Takes 5 mins to clean/lube and your fork has way less static friction.

What's the procedure for this? Just a wipe and a drop of fork oil into the seals?

Sept. 4, 2013, 10:57 a.m.

Cycle the fork a few times after you've put a few drops of lubricant on the seals and wipe off the excess dirt/oil which is now out of the seal and on your stanchion… go ride. I do this every time and have never had a blown seal or premature stanchion wear.

Sept. 4, 2013, 3:44 p.m.

Not me. I tend to change the oil about every thirty to 50 hours and I wipe the stanchions if they are visibly dusty or dirty. I do wash my bike with a gentle brush and rinse often. I don't wash it if it is just a little dirty though. Too much washing can be as damaging as too little. I have had two forks with loose bushings and both were new forks and were warranted.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Sept. 4, 2013, 3:54 p.m.

You have got to be kidding me. This thread has made me realize I should ride a rigid fork.

Wrong. Always.