Fox 40, Talk....

July 26, 2007, 2:51 p.m.

So yea ive got a killer deal on an 07 fox 40 lined up but ive been hearing some horror stories about sliced lowers and i think there was one guy who bent the whole fork at the stanchion!

so yea any of you guys had an experience with them? or working on them?

all opinions welcome

Yeah, deep penetration is pretty key. Unfortunately it can be hard to achieve, lubrication can definitely help in some cases.

July 26, 2007, 4:17 p.m.

Ive been running my 06 Fox 40's for a little over a year now. Ride 6 days a week for 3-4 hours a day. Sent it in to OGC once. The fork still preforms like it is new, I mostly ride fast techy DH, but still love to send it. I have hit anything that comes in my path with it. I really wouldnt worry about breaking one unless your really heavy and rough.

July 26, 2007, 6:02 p.m.

Ride 6 days a week for 3-4 hours a day.

Thats some serious saddle time…..

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

July 26, 2007, 6:11 p.m.

ya I thought the same thing too… I heard all of these stories about people destroying the lowers. I got the 07 40rc2s and I love them! I mean they're light, they're supple, yet they still take the big hits without bottoming (apparently they have an automatic oil bottomout). I mean if you were to bend the lowers (I've already hit mine hard in some spots but not that much damage was done) apparently new lowers only cost $300… I mean its worth it if it only cost $300 (I thought it would cost like $800)

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

July 26, 2007, 6:25 p.m.

a friend of mine rides them, and although he has put a few small dings into the lowers, he seems to pound on them with no problems. Seem like a stellar fork, although they aren't really that light by todays standards-the boxxer line comes in at around the same weight, with the World Cup model weighing almost a pound less.

July 26, 2007, 8:05 p.m.

although they aren't really that light by todays standards-the boxxer line comes in at around the same weight, with the World Cup model weighing almost a pound less.

well I mean the boxxer is an air fork… there is no air in the 40

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

July 27, 2007, 5:46 a.m.

i had 2006 Fox 40RC2 and they were awesome, confidence inspiring forks

the bushings had to be warrantied after 3 months, the fork went back and came back with new, tighter bushings as they had got seriously sloppy / clunky (way beyond gap for "hydrodynamic lubrication)

apart from that, i had to pull the rubber sleeve up the spring stack every month as it would slip down and allow the spring to make funny noises when the fork compressed

sold those forks on after 10 months, the guy who bought them is still riding them with no problems at all

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

July 27, 2007, 8:05 a.m.

40 No
888 Good Very Good

July 27, 2007, 8:37 a.m.

Thats some serious saddle time…..

Heck ya, no girlfriend this summer, working graveyard shifts, nothing but free time to rip it up.

July 27, 2007, 2:08 p.m.

40 No
888 Good Very Good

Care to elaborate?…

It seems it must've been rare one offs with these failures.

I know they aren't exactly super light by todays standards on race forks but they're spanking new and off a mate for cheap.

By all means if i was buying full price i would go for a Boxxer WC, for the weight and the curiosity of running an air race fork lol

Anyway ill get in touch with him and hopefully he still has em, if not ill be major bummed.

Cheers guys

Yeah, deep penetration is pretty key. Unfortunately it can be hard to achieve, lubrication can definitely help in some cases.

July 27, 2007, 2:51 p.m.

40 No
888 Good Very Good

Alan Greespan is a big fan of the Fox 40's

July 28, 2007, 11:18 a.m.

Was beating on Fox 40 RC2 for the past two and a bit years.

Great fork with super adjustability but couple of things:

1. Maintenance - be ready to do the oil in the lowers at least once a month if the fork is going to be run hard and all year round. Fifteen minute job but still…..

2. Seals - even with the higher than average number of oil changes, I was only getting about 4 months out of my seals. As per Fox, that is expected and at $35 a set, add's up pretty quickly. When the seals fail, they FAIL. We are taking about oil running down your lowers and onto your caliper and rotor. Good times.

3. Turning radius - those 40mm tubes really cut down on your ability to turn on a dime. Not a big deal if your riding wide open trails but sure makes a difference on some NS trails.

4. Dampening cartridge - the cartridge needed to be sent in twice. Cartridge consists of a plastic bladder that sits within a two piece aluminum housing. First time the bolt holding the housing together came loose, resulting in internal oil loss. Second time the bladder found it's way out of the cartridge all together. Interesting design.

Great fork but I found it high maintenance.

If snapping your fork is a concern, not too worry as this 230-pound-er-without-gear put the fork through it's paces. No huge dorps but fast and hard riding and the fork never failed.

Some things to consider and keep in mind the above was my experience.

Cheers.

July 28, 2007, 1:05 p.m.

I have ~25 park days, lots of seymour/cyps riding on my 05 40s, and have only changed the oil 1 time, and have never had to change the seals or bushings.. they still feel great after almost 2 yrs.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

July 29, 2007, 4:49 a.m.

dammit the guy sold em, guess i took too long deciding lol.

ah well looks like im back in the market for a new dh fork.

thanks for the help though guys