Fox 36 Van RC2 vs. Float RC2

March 25, 2010, 3:44 p.m.

Maybe reconsider the TALAS - or look at the new Lyric with U-Turn. I have always wanted travel adjust, and finally got a Lyric U-Turn on my Six last year. For climbing, it makes a very noticiable difference when you wind the travel down. So much so that on my new ride I again went with a travel adjust fork. This will be especially handy if you plan on doing lots of climbing.

like i said i've sipped the travel adjust coolaid, and on my hardtail i wouldn't go back - but the ht has a really slack head and seat tube angle, and both were offset by the rev, making it climb and ride flat/rolling terain much better. the fluid i've been riding for the last year didn't seem to need travel adjust, but both seat and head tube angles are steeper than the samurai. . . so you may be on to something. i was originally going to get a lyric, but the quality of fox shocks just seems to win out - my rev coil is no wear near as plush as my vanilla 130, which has being going strong with minimal maintenance for 5 years, and if i'm going to drop a fat wad on a new fork i don't want any niggling doubts wrt performance or durability.

And for rear shock - I have also had a DHX-air and my new ride has an RP-23 - very different feel to each shock. If you are using this "mystery" bike for the park, I would get the DHX air. More volume and "boost valve" = better Dh performance.

good point. but again, i'll get to test them side by side, so i can defer this decision until i've tried both.

I've got a TALAS, and while it's probably a little different than the Float, I'm really happy with the air as it gives me the ability to fine tune better than I could with a coil.

i'm not too concerned about the weight of air vs. coil, but that has been my only complaint with my van 130: the med spring is too stiff, the soft spring is too soft. being able to fine tune the spring rate is a big draw.

air will give you a little more ramp up for those big hucks to flat.

there'll be none of that

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 30, 2010, 12:52 p.m.

update: took the collective's advice and bought a float. thanks all

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave