Fox 34 Float 160 - anyone got any time on one?

Sept. 12, 2012, 10:01 a.m.

interesting, so the fork on that only has the single setting in trail mode. It's probably the one thing that weirds me out about the spec on the 2013 range 1, the dummy damper in the fork.

The Range I'm on is an engineering proto and has a custom build on it, so not indicative of the production bikes. That said all the 34s have that CTD damper, which appears to be the only viable long travel 650b option at the moment. After a couple more rides I'm sure I'll get a better setup dialed in.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Sept. 12, 2012, 6:47 p.m.

The Range I'm on is an engineering proto and has a custom build on it, so not indicative of the production bikes. That said all the 34s have that CTD damper, which appears to be the only viable long travel 650b option at the moment. After a couple more rides I'm sure I'll get a better setup dialed in.

fair enough, I just thought there were 3 selectable levels of firmness within the "T" mode… perhaps that's only on the "Factory" forks.

is the geo production? just wondering about the sizing/feel.

Check my stuff for sale!

Sept. 12, 2012, 9:09 p.m.

fascinating thread. not entirely unlike reading scientific magazines, or actuarial statistics quarterly. i have some experience and understanding to partially grasp the concepts, but otherwise the details elude me entirely. my fork, um, i like it. it's a bit too firm, or a bit too soft. doesn't seem to be soaking up the bumps right, hey grease monkey, can you fix it? great thanks, here's the bread….

Sept. 12, 2012, 10:51 p.m.

fair enough, I just thought there were 3 selectable levels of firmness within the "T" mode… perhaps that's only on the "Factory" forks.

is the geo production? just wondering about the sizing/feel.

There are 3 selectable levels of firmness on the "Trail Select" versions of the CTD 34s. I'm not sure what the exact spec on the Killer B Ranges will be. Hopefully the higher end Ranges get the Trail Select. Whether or not those three settings are worth the extra dollars remains to be seen.

Sept. 13, 2012, 8:08 a.m.

There are 2 trail settings, not 3: firm and soft, with a huge gap in between
Thanks for your intelligent contribution cunningstunts, have you ridden this fork?

Sept. 13, 2012, 9:06 a.m.

Thanks for your intelligent contribution cunningstunts, have you ridden this fork?

easy tiger. i think for a lot of rider, talk about a fork's spring, dampening characteristics and adjustments, etc. goes way over their head. they ride and appreciate the squish. i remember those days… fondly

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 14, 2012, 8:02 a.m.

There are 2 trail settings, not 3: firm and soft, with a huge gap in between

Huh? This is from the Fox website:
[INDENT]Adjustments
Climb/Trail/Descend (3 positions)
Trail adjust tuning range (1, 2, 3)[/INDENT]

I was really hoping that I'd be able to find a happy setting in there somewhere.

Sept. 26, 2012, 10:25 p.m.

i'm riding wifey's 36 float while my 34 is in the hospital (4 kings related illness).

i am blown away, having not ridden a "big" fork like this in years. chassis stiffness is vastly superior, confidence is greatly improved in steep terrain, the front wheel actually goes where i'm hoping it will. RLC damper just plain works, each click offering a noticeable increase in damping and far better mid-stroke support - no more scary diving in steep terrain. 2 clicks for cruising, 4 for aggressive trails, 6 for gnar, 8 for holy-mother-of-god terrain.

the 36 is simply unbothered (possibly even bored) at all times. i'll take the extra 1/2 pound and 10mm height gladly. wifey will love the 34 in D mode, the 36 ramped up harder than she needed anyway, and she won't notice the stiffness.

Sept. 28, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

I saw a new in box F34 Float 29er RLC fork for sale on pink bike for $700 US. Looks like a sweet deal, no? It's white unfortunately (I'd prefer black) but still tempting.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 28, 2012, 1:18 p.m.

That said all the 34s have that CTD damper, which appears to be the only viable long travel 650b option at the moment. After a couple more rides I'm sure I'll get a better setup dialed in.

You seemed to like the X Fusion shock - no love for X Fusion forks?