Formula Suspension Thread

Oct. 5, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

Is anyone here on Formula Suspension?

I think AJ had a first impressions piece on the Selva C but a full review never materialized? 

My new Raaw Jibb  has a Formula mod coil shock and so far it's pretty nice. I think the user-changeable compression valves are pretty cool. I changed my shock to the firmer tune myself in about 20 minutes and the change was very noticeable.  With a 550 spring I have the rebound fully closed and it could probably stand to be a shade slower, but otherwise it's ok. I also like how substantial the bottom out bumper is, it's clearly meant to be used. 

I am still working on it but my 2021 lyrik has a hard time keeping up with it. I can probably sell it and pick up a Selva C for almost even money, so it's definitely on my mind. Would be nice to be able to have fork and shock go to the same place for service as well. 

Anyone else on Formula? Any thoughts?

Oct. 5, 2021, 10:13 a.m.

Mind sharing where you can get a new Selva C for close to what you sell a used Lyrik for? I’m all ears. I see Alba has them listed for $1200. Is that near what used but loved 2021 Lyriks go for these days?

Oct. 5, 2021, 3:19 p.m.

They can be had for about 900 from some of the italian distributors, and they're about 980 CAD from bike24 (fluctuates some based some based on exchange rate of course). Add some shipping to contend with of course but I'm generally buying tires or other random stuff anyways. A 2021 lyrik ultimate with low-ish use and fresh lower service should sell for ballpark 900ish, so the net will be couple hundred bucks by the time I get the right spring etc. 

Honestly I'd buy from Alba, since it'd probably be helpful for getting the right spring rate etc, but they had no stock of anything last I checked. Either way - I guess what I'm saying is changing forks is cheaper than trying to hot rod the lyrik any further via damper upgrade or coil conversion.

Oct. 5, 2021, 4:51 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

They can be had for about 900 from some of the italian distributors, and they're about 980 CAD from bike24 (fluctuates some based some based on exchange rate of course). Add some shipping to contend with of course but I'm generally buying tires or other random stuff anyways. A 2021 lyrik ultimate with low-ish use and fresh lower service should sell for ballpark 900ish, so the net will be couple hundred bucks by the time I get the right spring etc. 

Honestly I'd buy from Alba, since it'd probably be helpful for getting the right spring rate etc, but they had no stock of anything last I checked. Either way - I guess what I'm saying is changing forks is cheaper than trying to hot rod the lyrik any further via damper upgrade or coil conversion.

That all makes perfect sense and makes me want to take a second look at the Selva C and the Selva R.

Oct. 7, 2021, 6:24 p.m.

I'm considering Italian squish for a future build. Really looking at/waiting for the Selva DC and Selva C/R MKII which should be coming in the nearer future as well.  

Theres a few G1s coming from MOJO w/ Mod/Selva builds or Storia/Selva/Nero

Oct. 9, 2021, 12:41 p.m.

Bit of a high jack but anyone have experience buying EXT shocks? Wondering if it’s the same situation where it’s cheaper online than through Alba, but have also heard awesome things about Alba’s customer support and don’t mind paying to support local businesses that have good service!

Not planning on buying right away, but a custom tuned Storia Lok sounds pretty awesome if I can’t get my X2 feeling how I want.

Oct. 12, 2021, 7:04 p.m.

Only places I’ve seen selling EXT: direct from EXT, MOJO, EXT USA and Alba.

Oct. 12, 2021, 9:41 p.m.

I think EXT has distribution tied down, which means you also get really good support if you want to tweak the tune etc. 

My EXT fork is about to go off for a warranty check and so far they've been great to deal with.

Oct. 14, 2021, 10:16 a.m.

I was on a Formula Selva R for about 4 months and liked it. It was a bit more difficult to get the proper setup and I ended up with the "plushest" silver CTS valve to make it feel good, but could never really get it to feel 100%. It felt better than my last Fox 36 Factory though so that was a big plus! I'm on a DVO Onyx SC now and have to say the OTT is pretty incredible. It's like my Formula was but just feels that little bit more plush/dialled.....Plus it was less expensive! You cant go wring with the Formula though, and I heard the guys at Alba are awesome to deal with if you have any issues.

Oct. 21, 2021, 12:17 a.m.

In a perfect world I'd have a Nero R airspring and damper w/ Selva DC crowns and either 15/20 lowers. Or I'll get an Ohlins DH38 w/46mm crowns...

Oct. 21, 2021, 12:36 p.m.

Posted by: Jenkins5

I was on a Formula Selva R for about 4 months and liked it. It was a bit more difficult to get the proper setup and I ended up with the "plushest" silver CTS valve to make it feel good, but could never really get it to feel 100%. It felt better than my last Fox 36 Factory though so that was a big plus! I'm on a DVO Onyx SC now and have to say the OTT is pretty incredible. It's like my Formula was but just feels that little bit more plush/dialled.....Plus it was less expensive! You cant go wring with the Formula though, and I heard the guys at Alba are awesome to deal with if you have any issues.

Funny,  I have a lyrik on my fs bike I've been struggling with. I pulled the dvo diamond off my hardtail,  pulled the travel reducers out, and threw it on. 

So good! I agree, I chalk a lot of it up to the OTT. Being able to adjust the negative spring independently of the positive is a big deal, I think especially for heavier guys. 

I would not be surprised if I end up with an onyx. The tuning process for dvo just makes sense to me. 

The formula mod is going to have to go to alba I think.  I'm still playing with it but between the squeaky lockout noise, some type of noise/clunk when the compression is closed more than a couple clicks, and the fact that it just does not have enough rebound damping for me, means it's going to need some love, unfortunately.

March 25, 2022, 2:45 a.m.

Reviving this thread a bit now that i've got a few rides on my Selva R! 

So far i haven't strayed far from the recommended settings, just a few clicks here and there to compensate for low temps. But, the fork was pretty easy to set up and feels really nice, but with a bit different feel to LSC in the beginning of the stroke compared to the DVO Diamond i had before. A bit more movement when pedaling, but feels nice and controlled in going downhill. 

Any suggestions for set-up that I should try? 

FWIW the fork is a 160mm 29 that is on a hardtail.

March 26, 2022, 9:02 a.m.

I'd noticed my mod made a squeaking noise when the lockout is closed. 6 weeks for alba to get the part.

They did the fix, got the shock back, still squeaks.

Now waiting a few more weeks for a another part. Hopefully next week.

Thankfully it's not something that keeps the shock from working, but still.

Seems kinda nuts for $1000+ CAD shock.

Now I'm trying to sell the bike and have to juggle the second repair.

I like the idea of the smaller brands thus far the juice is not worth the squeeze.

Maybe in a world that is fully post-covid and supply chain is better.

Last edited by: Kenny on March 26, 2022, 9:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 28, 2022, 3:55 a.m.

I have a Mod on my NP Megwatt and it has the same compression 'squeak' when the climb switch is engaged. Luckily as it's on an ebike the climb switch isn't really necessary, but it's certainly put me off having a Mod on a normal bike in the future. Shame, as it's very nice to ride and super controlled with the firm 'green' CTS valve installed

March 28, 2022, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: demo7_rider

I have a Mod on my NP Megwatt and it has the same compression 'squeak' when the climb switch is engaged. Luckily as it's on an ebike the climb switch isn't really necessary, but it's certainly put me off having a Mod on a normal bike in the future. Shame, as it's very nice to ride and super controlled with the firm 'green' CTS valve installed

How do you like your Megawatt? Any issues with the Acros headset?