Forks shouldn't make ticking noises!

May 27, 2008, 9:52 p.m.

I have a set of 04 888s on my bike that I love to death have really enjoyed to this point. However today when I went to go put my bike in the garage after my whistler trip yesterday I detected a very clear ticking noise coming from the fork when I picked it up out of it's negative travel. Normally the fork settles into it's travel a few millimeters just sitting there without any weight on it. Now it is settling a lot more and at full extension it makes a clear ticking noise that is very similar to the sound of a tape measure being snapped backwards, only not so loud or harsh. Is this indicative of a serious problem? Or does my fork just need something simple like a little more oil? I would be grateful for any help the suspension gurus could provide.
Thanks.

:high: If bikes were crack,I'd be Lindsy Lohan.

May 27, 2008, 9:55 p.m.

Do an oil top up. Otherwise, send to the Naz.

May 27, 2008, 9:59 p.m.

When was it serviced last?

Pull the top caps and have a look at the spring retainers. They are just a little wire clip on the damping rod that hold the spring collar in place. It sounds kinda like one of them has let go, if it did it's floating around in there somewhere so get the fork in for a service. The spring should be firmly attached to the damping rod.

That's my best guess anyways.

May 27, 2008, 10:01 p.m.

I live down in the states. I think that I would have trouble with customes trying to ship it across the border. Plus I'm not sure about turn around time with me being in the states.

:high: If bikes were crack,I'd be Lindsy Lohan.

May 27, 2008, 10:01 p.m.

I have a set of 04 888s on my bike that I love to death have really enjoyed to this point. However today when I went to go put my bike in the garage after my whistler trip yesterday I detected a very clear ticking noise coming from the fork when I picked it up out of it's negative travel. Normally the fork settles into it's travel a few millimeters just sitting there without any weight on it. Now it is settling a lot more and at full extension it makes a clear ticking noise that is very similar to the sound of a tape measure being snapped backwards, only not so loud or harsh. Is this indicative of a serious problem? Or does my fork just need something simple like a little more oil? I would be grateful for any help the suspension gurus could provide.
Thanks.

thats from using them damn pressure washers there… washes all the grease out of EVERYTHING… makes things noisy… top up the oil, grease up the head set and lube the stanchions…

Life's not a bitch, Life is a beautiful woman, you just call her a bitch cause she wont let you get that pussy.

May 28, 2008, 4:42 a.m.

Im not familiar with 888's but do you have to burp the air out of those every so often like other marzocchi's?

That might be your problem…Ill be a simple service at your lbs will do the trick.

Pastor of Muppets