Forking decisions

March 3, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

I have been extremely pleased with the performance and serviceability of my DVO Diamond and wouldn't hesitate to buy another DVO fork. I never had any mechanical issues with my DVO Diamond but I also only owned it for about two years. My only gripe with them is they weight about 200 grams more than similar forks probably due to the OTT spring. I would not recommend an MRP Ribbon. The damping of the MRP Ribbon is very unpredictable. I also don't like how the ramp control functions which seems to further add to the forks unpredictable nature. The fork just doesn't inspire confidence when you can't reliably anticipate how it will react on the trail. The MRP is light though but that comes at the cost of more perceived flex.

March 4, 2021, 1:31 p.m.

I'm on my second Helm coil. Had one on my 27.5 bike and loved it. When I got a new 29er it came with a Pike Ultimate that I put a Push ACS3 coil kit in to try to make it work better than the crappy air spring. But the damper (charger 2.1) wasn't near as supportive and the chassis was a lot flexier so I sold it and  got another Helm.

The difference between the MK1 and the MK2 are not that great. Better in the chatter but still holds up to the bigger hits. Most likely the reduced friction with the new SKF green seals on the damper and lower legs accounts for most of it but they did redesign the damper with a shim stack instead of a poppet valve. The spring side is changed slightly for easier maintenance and the top-out bumper is a little quieter but otherwise the same.

BTW. The Push Ind. springs come in 5# increment as opposed to the Cane Creek that are 10#  jumps so if you need something in between they will fit the Helm.

March 31, 2021, 10:38 p.m.

Anyone here ride a Durolux? CRC has the RC2 version (which got rave reviews here on NSMB) for 489. I think my Pike is going to wear out soon, the durolux looks like it may be a good replacement. At 489 and with shipping/taxes and duties on 70$, its hard not to...any first hand experience?

April 5, 2021, 7:45 a.m.

Not personal, but a riding buddy of mine replaced his Factory 36 (well cared for and he's a stickler for a good setup) with a Durolux and says he likes the Durolux much better. He's not only OCD about maintenance and setup, but also a skilled and fast rider, so I'll take his word for it.