Forking decisions

Feb. 18, 2021, 6:02 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I always thought it was the opposite.

I prefer shorter offset forks in slow speed tech. There is a lot going on with changing offset...as well as changing the front end steering geo you are affecting the WB, weight balance, etc... So I don't think there is an easy one sentence description of how your bike will perform with different offset forks that applies to all riders and all bikes equally. On the other side of the coin I don't think the change is so dramatic you'd love one and hate the other. Humans adapt to stuff like how their bikes handle after a few rides. So if you are unsure just go with whatever seems like the right answer based on the info/experience you have.

Feb. 18, 2021, 7:30 a.m.

^ I agree with this. I managed to ride the same A-C fork (but different models) in a 51mm offset and a 44mm offset. Closer to 65 deg HA, less obvious. Closer to 63 more obvious change. Like anything on a bike, all the pieces are connected and changing the balance of one thing is just part of the whole equation.

Funny how mountain bikers obsess about static geometry ...

Feb. 18, 2021, 9:51 a.m.

^^ I agree with both of you. I was running the "wrong" longer offset on my bike since I already had the fork when I got my new Transition Patrol frame designed around short offset. Happily got a full season out of it, then this fall I replaced my fork with a shorter offset (different fork, but more or less the same ride heights). They both rode fine, and the difference was subtle, I'd be happy either way. I feel a bigger difference raising or lowering my bars 10mm.

Feb. 18, 2021, 2:59 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I always thought it was the opposite.

I prefer shorter offset forks in slow speed tech. There is a lot going on with changing offset...as well as changing the front end steering geo you are affecting the WB, weight balance, etc... So I don't think there is an easy one sentence description of how your bike will perform with different offset forks that applies to all riders and all bikes equally. On the other side of the coin I don't think the change is so dramatic you'd love one and hate the other. Humans adapt to stuff like how their bikes handle after a few rides. So if you are unsure just go with whatever seems like the right answer based on the info/experience you have.

Interesting....this is the opposite of what Knolly says should happen. I did some reading on trail and rake and now it makes more sense to me. The offset is not so much about wheelbase or HTA but about the distance between the contact patch of the tire and the axis of steering. I tried both a 44 and 51 on my Primer and I don't know that I could tell a whole lot of difference between them.

Feb. 18, 2021, 3:53 p.m.

Interesting....this is the opposite of what Knolly says should happen.

As I alluded to above I think it's a pretty complicated adjustment because it impacts more than one thing on a bike. So if you just look at the effect on steering geo you might say one thing. If you look at the changes to WB or weight balance or another element of the bike you might say a different thing. How you'd feel about offset on Bike A might be different than you'd feel about it one Bike B. I've tried both a longer and shorter offset fork on the same bike and the difference was noticeable. I preferred the shorter offset for the bikes I ride despite having a use case that's the opposite of is typically indicated for a low fork offset. That said the longer offset wasn't "bad". I could ride either.

It seems like you've tried different offsets and didn't have a preference. In that case I would just get whatever falls to hand. With COVID in full swing availability may force your choice in one direction or the other. You'll be fine either way.

Feb. 22, 2021, 2:03 p.m.

This is a good deal for a 29" 160mm coil Helm:  https://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-Helm-29-Coil-Fork?avad=193258_f202d7dd1&rpi=24399&utm_medium=AVLK

Feb. 22, 2021, 2:50 p.m.

Posted by: craw

This is a good deal for a 29" 160mm coil Helm: https://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-Helm-29-Coil-Fork?avad=193258_f202d7dd1&rpi=24399&utm_medium=AVLK

After my recent purchase from Jenson, just a heads up to anyone else looking to purchase. They will now charge you 13% on all bike parts. They discovered that their software cant differentiate between all the provincial taxes, so they were getting screwed over by undercharging in some cases. They have adopted a 13% across the board for all items (which isnt even GST + PST at 12%). They did say they were 'working on it' but I wouldn't expect them to have it remedied anytime soon. They still have free 3 day shipping if you spend over $150US, so there is that. Not a complaint so much as just FYI.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Feb. 22, 2021, 2:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 22, 2021, 3:31 p.m.

So you go up a frame size to get longer reach, but you use a shorter stem and less spacers so that your handlebars don't change position relative to your original set up.

and your new fork has less offset/rake, so that your new front centre and wheelbase have not changed.

I haven't yet tried this out, but when I go for a new bike, this is likely what I'll end up with.

My prediction is that I will feel more centering force for the steering when riding in a straight line, more wheel flop when climbing (but it is easier for my body to adapt for slow speed slow motion effects, than for high speed effects of a twitchier bike on the downhill). But will it be harder to ride "no hands", the handlebars feel more squirrely due to the short stem, and will the front wheel be more likely to tuck under at extreme steering angles?

Last edited by: taprider on Feb. 23, 2021, 10:25 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 22, 2021, 6:11 p.m.

This is a good deal for a 29" 160mm coil Helm:  https://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek-Helm-29-Coil-Fork?avad=193258_f202d7dd1&rpi=24399&utm_medium=AVLK

I was looking at that but suspensionwerx is taking care of me. They are keeping my old fork but are putting in the right spring and dropping the travel to 150, where I want it. Natalie is the best. I rarely have customer service that is consistently better than I expect. I also rarely pay less than I expect, without even asking. I will keep buying suspension from them because the peace of mind is better than any $100 I save by buying online.

Feb. 23, 2021, 12:48 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

likely the same mtn bikers that started calling SPDs "clipless" and aluminum "alloy"

don’t get me started on people calling aluminium „aluminum“. it’s wrong and you know it. sincerely, the rest of the world.

Feb. 23, 2021, 8:56 a.m.

I was looking at that but suspensionwerx is taking care of me. They are keeping my old fork but are putting in the right spring and dropping the travel to 150, where I want it. Natalie is the best. I rarely have customer service that is consistently better than I expect. I also rarely pay less than I expect, without even asking. I will keep buying suspension from them because the peace of mind is better than any $100 I save by buying online.

Agreed. I generally do the same. But in this case it's closer to a $300 savings which might be worth it.

Feb. 23, 2021, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

don’t get me started on people calling aluminium „aluminum“. it’s wrong and you know it. sincerely, the rest of the world.

I'll gladly use aluminium to stop the incorrect use of alloy  :-)

Feb. 23, 2021, 3:28 p.m.

Agreed. James, Natalie and crew are  the best. Nothing but good things to say about my interactions with suspension werx.

Feb. 23, 2021, 4:46 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Agreed. James, Natalie and crew are  the best. Nothing but good things to say about my interactions with suspension werx.

Ditto. I had an issue with a shock rebuild last year that ended up being a weird oversight due to a wrong bushing being on the shock before it went in for service. They replaced the bushing with the right one and declined to take any payment for the part. It's those sorts of little things that make a difference. I'm ok with a mistake being made, what really matters is how it's resolved after.

Feb. 27, 2021, 6:25 p.m.

First ride on the helm mk1 coil. Definitely tracks well. Very composed in chatter and rough. It's not as plush as I was expecting but it definitely feels way more planted than my air forks, and as plush. As has been said, it likes to be pushed so I kept that in mind and just drove it through the rough rooty slippery corners and it was flawless. I was worried about it not being supportive enough but it was great in those regard as well. I havent had this good a first ride on a fork in years. Can't wait for it to start to break in.