Forking decisions

Feb. 16, 2021, 6:06 p.m.

My many year old dvo diamond is going to need 400 in service. I have e some options on an update and I really don't think it's worth dropping 400 on a non boost fork. All three of these options will cost me about the same. Thoughs on the following options?

1) dvo diamond

2) mrp ribbon air

3) cane creek helm mk1

With regards to another dvo, I’ve never been totally in love with it. And the csu is gone after three years. I think I'm leaning towards the nrp but I read a review on this site that said it was pretty flexible. So the helm would seem to check the right boxes as I'm 225lbs and the increased compression damping is probably not to far off for me.

Thoughts?

Feb. 16, 2021, 7:48 p.m.

If money is not object, I'd skip the 400$ service myself and sell it cheap for parts if there are some parts still working well. For 450$ more you could get a new complete fork with 2 year warranty (DVO).

I have been riding a D2 Diamond and a D2 Beryl (same forks) for two seasons and liked them quite a bit. I just got a new one as a warranty replacement and asked Suspension Werx to adjust the OTT to the most sensitive setting and it feels soooo nice off the top compared to both previous Diamonds I was riding. How was yours adjusted ? I don't know if the new damper is any different from your older fork, but I don't think they've changed many things in recent years. They do, however, offer custom tunes now if you buy directly from them, so getting a Diamond D2 + custom tune could be another well-priced option. And they're supposed to be creak-free now (my MY18 and MY19 forks ended up creaking after 5-6 months - 2017 and 2018 CSUs though).

I also just bought a Helm MK1 Coil last week and will probably try this one instead this season (nice to have a backup fork in these times too) but it's too early to give feedback ; ) Were you looking for the Coil or Air version ? The damper seems well suited to bigger riders so at 225 you might be just fine on it. You'd need to get a heavier coil if going with that version, but the Air has received better reviews than the coil because of the easier to adjust spring rate. I'm right in the middle of their "standard" spring so I can't wait to see how the coil version works. 

The MRP have received mixed reviews and forum comments from what I've seen. Maybe they're better now, but I would put it last on the list. There are a few threads on MTBR about those so if you haven't checked yet it might be worth reading.

That said, if I was going to pay msrp for a new fork today, I'd be tempted to get a Suntour Durolux because of the longer travel option (the others stop at 160mm for a 29er) , bigger stanchions and stiffness reputation. The longer axle-to-crown would work well to slacken my bike a bit for a given travel too, but it's something to look out for if you already have a tall front end or maxed out at the warranty-approved A2C length for your frame. 

It ends up being at the same price as the Diamond D2 (around 800-850$cdn) if they still do the Upgrade program or their seasonal discounts. As with the DVO and Cane Creek, the Durolux has creak-free reputation, adjustable travel without additional parts and has got good reviews from many places. The Helm can be found at 20% off at JensonUSA depending of the version you're looking for, but it seems to be getting less available since the mkII has been out. 

I don't know if that helps, but at least you'll have thoughts from a person with similar suspension options in mind. Cheers!

Last edited by: martin on Feb. 16, 2021, 7:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2021, 1:12 a.m.

The helm is a good fork, but I wouldn’t ride one without a warranty, so it’s possible a new one is too much. I really liked mine.

Feb. 17, 2021, 7:17 a.m.

I would go with another Dimond. I am super happy with my Onyx. The customer support is best in the industry. The adjustability is awesome and the OTT really let's you dial in the feel.

Three years for a CSU is awesome. Pike CSU last me about 6 months. Lyrik about 8 to 10 months. 

Other than the CSU what did you not like about the DVO?

Feb. 17, 2021, 7:21 a.m.

Have you considered the Formula Selva? That fork really interests me.

Feb. 17, 2021, 9:09 a.m.

The e-bike CSUs look like good solutions for folks going through regular CSUs. I’ve only seen them on RS Yaris though. 

Lots of takeoffs kicking around the lower mainland for less than the service cost of the DVO. 

I’m interested in your in-need-of-service DVO if you are going to sell it.

Feb. 17, 2021, 10:31 a.m.

Unless you really didn't like the Diamond, if it was my money I'g get another one too. I love their customer service and attitude and to me, that's worth more than marginal gains in performance. I've heard they sometimes do a "crash replacement" price, might be worth asking!

And they have the Onyx E1 which is made for ebikes, so more bushing overlap and probably stiffer crown too. Less chances of creaking is always welcome.

Feb. 17, 2021, 12:02 p.m.

Posted by: martin

And they have the Onyx E1 which is made for ebikes, so more bushing overlap and probably stiffer crown too. Less chances of creaking is always welcome.

I have my eye on that. Just waiting for a 37mm offset.

Feb. 17, 2021, 12:18 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

The helm is a good fork, but I wouldn’t ride one without a warranty, so it’s possible a new one is too much. I really liked mine.

At 225+ myself I wouldn't suggest anyone ride a fork without warranty. I put my forks through so much abuse that the warranty coverage pays for itself within a few years. I had a Helm 1 and now a Mk2 and I'm thrilled. The new one is definitely an improvement (in terms of chassis stiffness, low speed sensitivity AND mid stroke support) which is surprising because I thought  the Mk1 was really good. It doesn't have the "wow 38mm stanchions" effect of the mainstream forks but it also has internals made of actual metal and no brand history of creaking CSUs.

Feb. 17, 2021, 5:39 p.m.

My Helm 1 was warrantied - it was the second weirdest fork warranty I've seen. Fork was amazingly supple for 2 rides, then blew up and got stuck down. 

The CC distributor contacted me and was puzzled - there were no bushings in the lowers and so the air spring had buckled and all the + air was ingested in to the - chamber (which was the whole lower leg at that point). It was immediately sorted and my only gripe with the fork was the DLok was a bit fussy.

Feb. 17, 2021, 5:40 p.m.

Natalie at suspensionwerx has gone way above and beyond and I am going to move to a helm mk1 coil. It gets mostly good reviews. Thanks for the feedback.

In a related topic. I was reading g about fork offset on the knolly website and it says the following:

With a longer offset (51mm) the bike corners better in tight singletrack and has slightly quicker handling but it gives up a bit of stability at high speed. 

In the shorter offset (42 to 44) the bike is more raked out so it is more stable and performs better at high speeds but in tech climbs, switchbacks, and slower stuff, the bike is a bit more to get around and the front end can feel floppy. 

I always thought it was the opposite.

Last edited by: RAHrider on Feb. 17, 2021, 5:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2021, 6:49 p.m.

shorter offset = more trail = more stability at higher speeds.

Feb. 17, 2021, 8:37 p.m.

@RAHrider Suspension Werx is amazing, since my first service's experience with them, they'll always have my business even if I'm on the East coast. 

Please let us know your impressions when you have some time on the Helm Coil Mk1. I won't be able to try mine before late May/June and I can't wait to see how it works compared to my DVO. Cheers!

Feb. 17, 2021, 8:51 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

In the shorter offset (42 to 44) the bike is more raked out

I always thought it was the opposite.

before mtn bikers began using moto terminology, all cyclists said "rake and trail"

rake is the same as offset, so in fact shorter offset equals less rake

the moto people use "rake angle" and somehow mtn bikers confused "rake angle" with "rake"

likely the same mtn bikers that started calling SPDs "clipless" and aluminum "alloy" (when steel is an alloy, titanium used on bikes is an alloy, and even brass nipples are more alloyed than aluminum nipples)

But anyway, back on topic.  Following Dru, I have joined the Suntour fork coterie

Last edited by: taprider on Feb. 17, 2021, 8:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 17, 2021, 9:09 p.m.

As someone who worked indirectly with susworks for several years I concur,  fantastic guys and great work.