Fork - ERA or 36 w Smashpot?

Feb. 4, 2021, 5:35 a.m.

150 or 160. I ruled out rockshox. It’s kinda arbitrary but every rockshox fork I have ever had has been warrantied.

Feb. 4, 2021, 9:51 a.m.

Posted by: Brother-Lu

Posted by: thaaad

Aren't the ERAs like 2 grand?

1480euro = 2295.64 Canadian pesos. Peanuts really.

Alba distribution handles EXT here. The ERA is on their website for $2499. Maybe a shop would sell it cheaper but that's the local MSRP.

And I still want one.

Last edited by: Bushpilot on Feb. 4, 2021, 9:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 4, 2021, 5:07 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

150 or 160. I ruled out rockshox. It’s kinda arbitrary but every rockshox fork I have ever had has been warrantied.

Pike CSU only last about 6 months for me. Lyrik CSU about 8 to 10. They need to beef up. Wonder if the E-bike CSU are any better.

Feb. 4, 2021, 5:42 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

Posted by: Heinous

Pike CSU only last about 6 months for me. Lyrik CSU about 8 to 10. They need to beef up. Wonder if the E-bike CSU are any better.

Suntour forks are worth a strong consideration simply for their stoutness, and the pricing is exceptional for the quality of product you get. Andrew’s done a bunch of reviews on them.

Feb. 5, 2021, 3:39 a.m.

I’d like to try a Durolux, but coming from the Smashpot wanted to stick with it or anothe coil.

I ended up ordering an ERA on the promise it feels as good as my smashpot. I’ll get it late feb. If it’s half as good as the hype then it’ll be amazing. If not, you’ll all be the first to know.

The thing that really intrigues me and got it over the line is the dynamic sag feature. It’s going on a Druid, I’d really like a fractionally slacker headangle, and if that bump in the spring curve works it’ll be the best of both worlds...

Last edited by: Heinous on Feb. 5, 2021, 3:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 5, 2021, 10:11 a.m.

Sorry to hijack but anyone have experience with MRP forks, or more specifically the MRP Ribbon Air? CRC has them for $930. Not sure if this is actually a good deal?

Feb. 5, 2021, 7:35 p.m.

Snagged a brand new 29"Cane Creek Helm Coil (Mk1, 51mm offset, boost) this morning from Calgary Cycle at 499$. Didn't really need it but at that price I could not resist.

Not in the same league as the EXT but at 1/5th of the price, I'll be happy. They also had Fox Factory 36s for 699$, but I didn't feel like replacing a creaky csu per year.

Feb. 5, 2021, 9:06 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Sorry to hijack but anyone have experience with MRP forks, or more specifically the MRP Ribbon Air? CRC has them for $930. Not sure if this is actually a good deal?

Not the Ribbon Air, but I’ve quite enjoyed my Ribbon Coil for the past season.  Recommended  to me by SWerx  when I was building up my bike.

Feb. 6, 2021, 7:14 a.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

Not the Ribbon Air, but I’ve quite enjoyed my Ribbon Coil for the past season.  Recommended  to me by SWerx  when I was building up my bike.

Same here. Running a Ribbon Coil going on 4 seasons. It's a good fork. MRP CS is great. They are $990USD new from MRP + shipping.

Feb. 6, 2021, 8:52 a.m.

Posted by: martin

Snagged a brand new 29"Cane Creek Helm Coil (Mk1, 51mm offset, boost) this morning from Calgary Cycle at 499$. Didn't really need it but at that price I could not resist.

Not in the same league as the EXT but at 1/5th of the price, I'll be happy. They also had Fox Factory 36s for 699$, but I didn't feel like replacing a creaky csu per year.

Nice. I saw that deal, amazing

Feb. 6, 2021, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Cabana76

Same here. Running a Ribbon Coil going on 4 seasons. It's a good fork. MRP CS is great. They are $990USD new from MRP + shipping.

Which bike is the ribbon on?

Feb. 6, 2021, 9:04 a.m.

Which bike is the ribbon on?

Guerrilla Gravity Smash - 2018 model so it's metal AF not carbonium. I'm running dual coil on that bike.  ;-)

Feb. 6, 2021, 9:09 a.m.

Buying a new fork that requires an expensive upgrade right out of the box doesn't seem like a practical choice. May as well get something that's like actually good, all ready to go.

March 9, 2021, 5:12 p.m.

I’ll be running the fork at 160mm, but if the dynamic sag feature in the ERA works as advertised will try it at 150mm.

I should have the ERA in the next week or so. I’m not going to lie, I’m mildly nervous it’ll not be as good as the Smashpot36.

March 14, 2021, 3:04 a.m.

First ride on the ERA. It’s impressive. Here are some initial thoughts:

- the axle to crown measures 7mm more than an equivalent travel 36. I’m running this on a Druid and had been running 160mm to claw back a little headangle. With this additional 7mm I might drop it to 150mm.

- super supple off the top with the coil spring. Like a DVO after its been rebuilt, but with a smoother transition to the air spring.

- the stiffness of the chassis is very good. It was noticeable how well it tracked and kept working on rooty flat corners. The torque caps might be a part of this.

- very tiny top out, only noticeable when looking for it on the ground/ pulling the crown up. Maybe 2mm.

- some noise occasionally including a wee ‘ting’ noise.

- I’m not super impressed with the axle. It looks nice but feels and sounds horrible doing up and undoing. It had some factory anti seize and I ended up using grease. But still felt rough. A thrust bearing or washer would work wonders.

- comes with a mid guard like a marsh guard. And some complimentary zip ties. Personally, I feel like a fork that costs this much and has threads in the arch of the lowers really should include a tidy bolt on one.

I followed the suggested settings (100++, 65+) 7 out on LAC and HSC. I ended up moving to 8 on HSC so far.

If anyone’s interested (or reviewing one currently and feels like comparing any notes) let me know and I’ll share what I know.

Last edited by: Heinous on March 14, 2021, 3:22 a.m., edited 3 times in total.