foot strikes on pedal arm and chain stay

March 31, 2019, 7:42 p.m.

can I space my pedal or crank arm   a little further out   seems my left leg since injury has my foot at an angle and I hit the crank arm or chain stay  and this sucks .I have tried to repostion my foot but it creeps back and hits again

March 31, 2019, 10:26 p.m.

Are you on clips or flats? 

Andrew reviewed a clip pedal with an option longer spindles recently, I think they were crank brothers.

April 1, 2019, 7:51 a.m.

flats

April 1, 2019, 8:35 a.m.

you try bigger platform pedals ?

April 1, 2019, 8:53 a.m.

Just keep in mind that having a wider stance (such as longer spindles) can effect other aspects of your riding.  Your hips or knees may not like the extra width associated with the wider stance.

April 1, 2019, 9:08 a.m.

How far out is 'a little'? You can slip an extra pedal washer under your pedal (what; you don't use pedal washers?) which will gain you about 1.5mm (or 3mm if you start using pedal washers). Always use pedal washers.

There are crank\pedal extenders out there (google) that will add 15mm per side. For like $15 from amazon.

As far as the wider stance goes, I'm sure it would take some time to get used to but I'm not convinced it would be detrimental long term. Do both sides, not just your 'bad' side.

April 2, 2019, 8:14 a.m.

What pedals do you have? I have oddly the exact opposite problem, my feet are always hanging off the sides of the pedals (because too narrow). Maybe as already suggested wider pedals might help? I am really impressed what a difference a few mm makes. I've got crankbros Stamps.

April 2, 2019, 7:28 p.m.

As a big "I-downhill-alot" kinda guy who also wears his heal against his crank, let it be known that you will break your carbon cranks a lot sooner than metal ones if you don't change something.

Callum and Ride-Wraps has really fucking thick tape that I put on all my new cranks... that gets worn out a lot later than the tissue paper the come wrapped in.

April 2, 2019, 11:10 p.m.

Posted by: halfton

can I space my pedal or crank arm   a little further out   seems my left leg since injury has my foot at an angle and I hit the crank arm or chain stay  and this sucks .I have tried to repostion my foot but it creeps back and hits again

Had the same problem after breaking my left knee. Left heel tracks way in now, rubs the crank down to bare aluminum.

I switched to clips (Mallets for  the float), & lo-pro smooth surface cranks. Some bikes just don't work for heel in riders though I found, if you're on a bike with mega rear tire clearance the stays might just be too far out for you now.