Floor pumps

March 15, 2017, 12:01 p.m.

Pretty mundane "Gear" topic... but I am looking to buy a new floor pump and looking for some recommendations. I have the cheap old red MEC floor pump which I hate - the Schrader valve is too tight and I've easily ripped off the stem thing on 20+ tires because of this damn pump. Can anyone recommend a solid one that isn't too expensive? Also considering those ones with the air chambers that you can use to inflate tubeless tires. Looking at this model but it seems to have mixed reviews in terms of seating tubeless MTB tires: Filzer Quick Blaster

March 15, 2017, 1:49 p.m.

I bought the quick blaster in the past and returned it.. The air chamber does not have enough volume to seat a tire.

You're better off getting an airshot or the specialized Air Tool blast. These have the added benefit of keeping your pump seperate from the can.

When using the airblaster as a regular pump, the air already in the tire equalizes to the aircan in the pump so the pressure drops. Not a huge deal though.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

March 15, 2017, 2:06 p.m.

I'm all over the Specialized pumps: good price, reliable and easy head, decent longevity and easily rebuildable with parts from the LBS if necessary.  My newest one even has an accurate and precise pressure gauge.

I'd be willing to pay twice as much for a longer lasting ultra durable pump, but I haven't found one I like yet.  I have a super high quality Lezyne that sits in the corner due to it's PITA head and ridiculously low air displacement.

March 15, 2017, 3:05 p.m.

Thanks guys - I currently seat my tubeless tires with a CO2 cartridge and that seems to work pretty well for me, so not too fussed about the air chamber tubeless feature. More just looking for a decent pump that works properly, good quality, and not too expensive. Will take a look at specialized. Something like this would do the trick: https://www.dunbarcycles.com/en/specialized-2014-specialized-airtool-hp-pump.html

March 15, 2017, 5:24 p.m.

Topeak Joe Blow.

March 16, 2017, 4:30 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Topeak Joe Blow.

I bought the Sport II version online for $45ish a few years ago. Been working great ever since although I don't really beat on it, only goes in the trunk for road trips.

March 18, 2017, 11:02 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I'm all over the Specialized pumps: good price, reliable and easy head, decent longevity and easily rebuildable with parts from the LBS if necessary.  My newest one even has an accurate and precise pressure gauge.

I'd be willing to pay twice as much for a longer lasting ultra durable pump, but I haven't found one I like yet.  I have a super high quality Lezyne that sits in the corner due to it's PITA head and ridiculously low air displacement.

Which Lezyne do you have? I've had great luck with the Lezyne Alloy Drive (the high volume version which is MTB specific). The screw-on head is a PITA but does prevent ripping out valve cores. Sometimes I use the chuck that comes with it which is fast but not as foolproof. It fills a high-volume tire quickly and I've also used it to seat a lot of tubeless tires (I don't think it's ever not come through in that regard). http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-alloyY9.php#.WM11xhjMxE4

March 18, 2017, 4:31 p.m.

Buy this head https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-150/Floor-Pump-Clever-Head and turn your Beto into a pretty decent pump.  Best $10 you will spend on bike tools.

March 19, 2017, 9:16 p.m.

Posted by: Rover

Buy this head https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-150/Floor-Pump-Clever-Head and turn your Beto into a pretty decent pump. Best $10 you will spend on bike tools.

Hahaha - yeah the "Beto" is the one I have! Piece of garbage but I think they came out with a revised model the addresses the issue.

Do you know for a fact that this thing is compatible with the Beto? If so, I think that would solve my problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT - just read the MEC reviews and sounds like a lot of people use it to upgrade the Beto. Great news for me!

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on March 19, 2017, 9:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 20, 2017, 6:31 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Which Lezyne do you have? I've had great luck with the Lezyne Alloy Drive (the high volume version which is MTB specific). The screw-on head is a PITA but does prevent ripping out valve cores. Sometimes I use the chuck that comes with it which is fast but not as foolproof. It fills a high-volume tire quickly and I've also used it to seat a lot of tubeless tires (I don't think it's ever not come through in that regard). http://www.lezyne.com/product-fpumps-hp-alloyY9.php#.WM11xhjMxE4

Response

I have an Alloy Floor Drive HP (or something like that).  Just can't stand the screw on chuck; the threads always seem to catch or loosen in the wrong places; seems like it's always coming unscrewed from the hose, or winding the hose up 'cause it won't swivel, or grabbing at the  the valve and then unscrewing it when unscrewing the chuck or...bleh, just give me a thumblock that can adapt to either presta or schrader. When Specialized, Topeak, Axiom etc. seem to make reliable ones at the $60 price point I seem to just keep reaching for my Specialized...

March 21, 2017, 6:51 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Response

I have an Alloy Floor Drive HP (or something like that).  Just can't stand the screw on chuck; the threads always seem to catch or loosen in the wrong places; seems like it's always coming unscrewed from the hose, or winding the hose up 'cause it won't swivel, or grabbing at the  the valve and then unscrewing it when unscrewing the chuck or...bleh, just give me a thumblock that can adapt to either presta or schrader. When Specialized, Topeak, Axiom etc. seem to make reliable ones at the $60 price point I seem to just keep reaching for my Specialized...

I feel your pain. Then I started twisting with the rearward knurled part and all my problems went away. It took a few times to get out of the habit of twisting near the valve head where the release is located, but once I got it, it's much easier now. Incidentally, can confirm that the Alloy Floor Drive also does a magnificent job on car tires - I have a slow leak in 2 of my winter tires and keep the pump in the trunk. Every few weeks I give it a few blasts and keep it topped up.

Also: http://www.lezyne.com/product-dpumps-acc-speedchk.php#.WNEvBRjMyV4

And: http://www.lezyne.com/product-dpumps-acc-abs2chuckhv.php#.WNEvCRjMyV4

March 21, 2017, 8:23 a.m.

OP here - I was going to take Rover's advice and just buy the replacement head from MEC and stick it on my Beto, but I hate that pump and never want to look at it again so ended up getting a new specialized one - Specialized Air Tool Comp. So far so good.

I'm all over the Specialized pumps: good price, reliable and easy head, decent longevity and easily rebuildable with parts from the LBS if necessary. My newest one even has an accurate and precise pressure gauge.

I'd be willing to pay twice as much for a longer lasting ultra durable pump, but I haven't found one I like yet. I have a super high quality Lezyne that sits in the corner due to it's PITA head and ridiculously low air displacement.

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on March 21, 2017, 8:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.