Float X2 recall

Nov. 10, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

Pumping out new tech before properly and effectively ironing out the creases through beta bashing is in my opinion crappy business.

this sounds like every rockshox/sram products

Nov. 10, 2016, 11:20 a.m.

So when they do this to mine I'll have a shock that I can't use anymore because I'm too heavy for it (250 psi gives me too much sag). Sweet move Fox, I'll be looking for a full refund.

That sucks. Curious what bike and how much you weigh geared up?

Nov. 10, 2016, 12:58 p.m.

Pumping out new tech before properly and effectively ironing out the creases through beta bashing is in my opinion crappy business. Either they're hurting in the income department, or have moved house without the oversight of critical engineering being maintained.

But just how much stupid do you expect them to design around? Do you think making the shock operate consistently with 12 volume spacers at 600psi was part of the design spec? I don't think they were testing around this.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 10, 2016, 1:54 p.m.

So when they do this to mine I'll have a shock that I can't use anymore because I'm too heavy for it (250 psi gives me too much sag). Sweet move Fox, I'll be looking for a full refund.

Yeah, in cases like that the only halfway legit answer seems to be a factory custom tuned DHX2, if it fits the frame.

I'm really torn between hoping that this means second-hand market X2's will be cheap, but that I'll also be right on the edge of making the 250psi can work.

Nov. 11, 2016, 4:27 p.m.

But just how much stupid do you expect them to design around? Do you think making the shock operate consistently with 12 volume spacers at 600psi was part of the design spec? I don't think they were testing around this.

IMO they're lousy designers or maybe lousy engineers for two reasons:

1/ Even with the new volume sleeve installed they're now limiting the max pressure to 250 psi. This alone shows that it was originally poorly designed and that the fix is also poorly designed.

2/ If you make it so that you can load a bunch of volume spacers in then you'd better design for it. This is something that any designer or engineer should learn early in their career. To me it is like selling a Corvette with tires rated for 100kph and blaming the driver when they blow apart at 150.

Nov. 11, 2016, 4:29 p.m.

That sucks. Curious what bike and how much you weigh geared up?

I'm 260 lbs geared up with a full Camelbak and riding a Nomad3. I need 275 psi to get 30% sag.

Nov. 11, 2016, 4:44 p.m.

11-6 the whip

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 11, 2016, 8:30 p.m.

11-6 the whip

Not a chance - Push is 0 for 3 with shock rebuilds for me (all on the same shock). First two Factory rebuilds didn't work straight out of the box and the their third attempt felt like garbage. They admitted to making mistakes (internals rebuilt incorrectly) and offered me my money back when I refused to give them a fourth chance. They still owe me the refund so I will never give them a penny again.

Nov. 12, 2016, 1:51 p.m.

IMO they're lousy designers or maybe lousy engineers for two reasons:

1/ Even with the new volume sleeve installed they're now limiting the max pressure to 250 psi. This alone shows that it was originally poorly designed and that the fix is also poorly designed.

2/ If you make it so that you can load a bunch of volume spacers in then you'd better design for it. This is something that any designer or engineer should learn early in their career. To me it is like selling a Corvette with tires rated for 100kph and blaming the driver when they blow apart at 150.

Totally. And now some users can't use their shocks. It's really poor thinking lol. You're right too that the shock should be tested at the max range for all the stock settings.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 12, 2016, 8:56 a.m.

I recently fitted a Vivid Air to my Canyon Strive. I came across the slightly used shock and got it at a great price. It absolutely transformed the rear end of the bike. I am amazed at how much better it feels compared to the Monarch Plus Debonair. I already thought the Monarch wasn´t bad at all.

The Vivid doesn´t have a pedal platform/climbs switch. It doesn´t bother me too much on my Strive with the fancy shapeshifter. But I´d need a platform lever on my second bike, a 2016 Giant Reign.

Because some people seem to want to get rid of their X2 after the recall, prices aren´t as crazy high as they used to be.

I am thinking about getting a 200x57mm Float X2 with the Climb Switch in January, slightly used preferrably.

It seems to tick all my boxes. I am not super heavy and even though both my bikes have a highish leverage ratio, I get away with 200psi both on the Monarch Debonair and the Vivid Air.

Would the X2 probably work for me?
Will it explode?
Any other quirks?

The Vivid Air is complicated to work on, dropping in Bottomless Rings or lubricating the air can is rocket science compared to doing the same on a Monarch.
But it feels stellar while riding!

Dec. 12, 2016, 9:22 a.m.

im really happy with my x2. I think it's better than the DB air with the exception of the climb switch.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov