Flex Hone Seat Tube?

April 16, 2013, 3:06 p.m.

If that won't remove the burs you have some serious issues.

What frame is it? Did someone completely screw up the factory reaming? Or miss the factory reaming completely?

It's standard practice to ream a frame after welding. The heat from welding distorts the tube a bit and reaming is the fix.

Its a 2012 Turner 5-Spot. It is supposed to have been reamed from the factory, so Im not sure what happened with this one? I was told by Turner they ream them only down to about 8",as that is where they are butted, and they dont want to ream that portion, but my post hits much sooner than that. It looks like burrs to me. Ill go to Rona tonight and get some dowel to try out your fix. I better double check my calculations as well. If they only ream down to 8", then my 367mm post (14.4") should still have 6.4" showing. I might end up going back to my shimmed 27.2 which I could slam all the way down, until I decide on what dropper post to get.

April 16, 2013, 9:04 p.m.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/02239101
That's the tool you want to use. Any decent bike shop will have this. They will prolly charge $20-30.

April 16, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

if you have an anodized frame it could be the tiny ball bearings stuck in the seat tube from the anodizing prep (shot peening) that are causing the trouble. same thing happened to a frame of mine years ago, reaming didn't help, but a thorough blast with pressurized water (ie. a pressure sprayer) did the trick (obviously tear down the bike to frame only first).

April 17, 2013, 8:24 a.m.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I do in fact have the 8" of insertion. That is all I am going to get according to Turner, as they dont ream it any lower than that because of the tube butting. I guess what looks like burrs to me arent stopping the seat at all, its just the butting. Time to figure out my measurements and get me that dropper post. Until then, shimmed 27.2 post it is!