Flats vs Clipless -- controversial comment of the day

June 24, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

Hi! It's me again. :) How ya been?

Anyway, I am back and forth between the spd's and flats again. Like em both. Think I will stick with the flats for a while though.

Question, flat pedals:

I have deity compounds. They're ok…pretty grippy with my five tens but with my tevas I wish they had more pins. Looking at lots of nice pedals…any advice?

Chromag Scarab
Hope F20
Race Face Aeffect
Race Face Atlas
Spank Spike

Wrong. Always.

June 24, 2014, 2:17 p.m.

If the Spank Spikes are similar to the Straitline Amps, stay away. The latter are borderline for me with 5.10's. The new Race Face Atlas will probably be my next try.

June 24, 2014, 2:38 p.m.

Scarab pedals on my big bike.

Pretty nice, many much pin placement options. Narrowed down pedal body at the axle. Laz0r etched crotch grabbing bear logos. Not the lightest.

Would buy again.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

June 24, 2014, 2:42 p.m.

Flats are almost always a good choice. The Chromag Scarab looks good as does the Hope F20 and RaceFace Atlas.

If you want to save some cash and don't mind lugging around another 100g or so, these NRG pedals are pretty popular.

I picked up a set a month ago and I'm happy. Concave shape means lots of grip, and sealed bearings is nice. Durable too, my buddy has been running the same set for years. Happy shopping!

June 24, 2014, 8:49 p.m.

I've been riding clips for a while now but this past winter threw on flats on my hardtail for riding on snowy and icy trails.

Turned out I really enjoyed it and haven't taken them off yet. I don't notice any change to my climbing ability. Sure do find my ride a bit more lively now however.

June 25, 2014, 1:11 p.m.

It does not change the relationship between where you sit and where you grip. It does not therefore change reach at all.

Technically, reach and stack are not dependent on seat position. ;)

June 25, 2014, 2:01 p.m.

If the Spank Spikes are similar to the Straitline Amps, stay away. The latter are borderline for me with 5.10's. The new Race Face Atlas will probably be my next try.

and the bushings on trhe spikes are pricey for a little piece of plastic that lasts a couple weeks. nice n thin tho.

ditto on the rf's when the spike rattle drives me insane

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 25, 2014, 5:15 p.m.

Technically, reach and stack are not dependent on seat position. ;)

That's not what the OP was getting at. He/she thought that with the foot further forward on the pedal that the saddle needed to further forward to match but that is not the case. If one uses knee over the pedal spindle moving the foot forward and back does not change that relationship.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 25, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

I am NOT a he/she.

Wrong. Always.

June 25, 2014, 5:51 p.m.

I am NOT a he/she.

http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Gender-Pronouns-in-Ambiguous-Situations-in-the-LGBT-Community

June 25, 2014, 6:39 p.m.

You have cheap, light, durable pedals, but they are not the grippiest. I notice it with my worn out five tens and giros for sure (but run them anyway because cheap, light, durable). It also seems that most people that don't ride in five ten shoes don't like the plastic pedals.

Anything concave with more pins seems to be an improvement. Do look for the concave platform though, this makes the biggest difference as far as I can feel.

If you want a super grippy pedal and have a bunch of money to spend on bikes, get thos Race Face Atlas pedals. My worn out five tens felt like they were glued to those things.

June 26, 2014, 6:46 a.m.

Flats are almost always a good choice. The Chromag Scarab looks good as does the Hope F20 and RaceFace Atlas.

If you want to save some cash and don't mind lugging around another 100g or so, these NRG pedals are pretty popular.

I picked up a set a month ago and I'm happy. Concave shape means lots of grip, and sealed bearings is nice. Durable too, my buddy has been running the same set for years. Happy shopping!

Ive had mine for a few years using them on a off. The bearings are still silky smooth. I have adjusted them a few times. But a nice pedal for sure.

June 26, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

That's not what the OP was getting at. He/she thought that with the foot further forward on the pedal that the saddle needed to further forward to match but that is not the case. If one uses knee over the pedal spindle moving the foot forward and back does not change that relationship.

I know, hence the ;)

July 3, 2014, 11:26 a.m.

You have cheap, light, durable pedals, but they are not the grippiest. I notice it with my worn out five tens and giros for sure (but run them anyway because cheap, light, durable). It also seems that most people that don't ride in five ten shoes don't like the plastic pedals.

Anything concave with more pins seems to be an improvement. Do look for the concave platform though, this makes the biggest difference as far as I can feel.

If you want a super grippy pedal and have a bunch of money to spend on bikes, get thos Race Face Atlas pedals. My worn out five tens felt like they were glued to those things.

Hey Mr Cheez1ts,

Have you tried any of the new five tens with the treadless sole portion (Freerider VXI) with the Deity Compound pedals? I really like the Deity pedals with my five ten impacts but want to go to a lighter five ten so am planning to pick up the Freerider (with the fully treaded sole) or the Freerider VXI.

Wrong. Always.

July 3, 2014, 5:08 p.m.

Hey Mr Cheez1ts,

Have you tried any of the new five tens with the treadless sole portion (Freerider VXI) with the Deity Compound pedals? I really like the Deity pedals with my five ten impacts but want to go to a lighter five ten so am planning to pick up the Freerider (with the fully treaded sole) or the Freerider VXI.

PM Bradical. Dude isn't afraid to experiment with pedals and shoes and I know he's owned the Freerider VXIs and Compound Pedals.