Flat pedals

Jan. 13, 2016, 11:14 p.m.

What are you flat pedal purists riding on these days? I need to pick some pedals for my new AM bike. Looking for something thin and light-ish and sub $150. I had some HTs on my DH bike - liked the ultra thin look and low weight and was happy with the platform but the hardware is garbage. Any experience with the RF Atlas platforms? Or other suggestions? I have big feet (13) so that's a factor for me as well. Any input is appreciated - Thanks!

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Jan. 14, 2016, 12:17 a.m.

Canfield Bros Crampons

They're on sale on their website right now.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Jan. 14, 2016, 4:49 a.m.

Easton Flatboys. Like glue. Might be more of a DH pedal I guess?

Thread killer

Jan. 14, 2016, 5:26 a.m.

Shimano Saint flat pedals.

They are very, very affordable - yet strike a perfect balance in all areas.

Quite thin, great grip (with the washers under the pins removed), bearings last almost a season (and can be adjusted and regreased), big enough. Look good.

For sure there are thinner, lighter, maybe even more durable pedals. But every pedal I´ve tried which was really a lot better in one of the named aspects was at least triple the price - and often fell short in another aspect.

I have total confidence in the safety of Shimano products, which is another plus. I prefer swapping bars and pedals more often, as I wouldn´t like a failure on these parts.

My pedals tend to get quite a bit of abuse, so justifying really expensive pedals is hard. The last super expensive bling, light pedals were killed on their first ride - hit a rock accidentally.

Greetings Znarf

Jan. 14, 2016, 6:09 a.m.

RF Atlas, HT AE02, Hope F20s…. all good pedals for grip, weight, platform size and shape. The Hopes are the best built in terms of durability IMO. I have size 12 shoes and no issues with any of these for support.

Jan. 14, 2016, 7:07 a.m.

i got shimano saint pedals, $120 best pedal i have owned! rebuildable too.

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Jan. 14, 2016, 7:13 a.m.

My first set of Atlas pedals had the bearings seize after four or five rides.

Replaced the bearings and then rode for the rest of the season. Pulled a pedal off with my hand near the end of the season when I noticed it seemed to be sticking out a bit from the crank arm.

I'm running Scarab's right now mainly because that's all the shop had and I wanted to keep riding. Leggatt snapped the axle on his so that's kind of in the back of my mind.

Jan. 14, 2016, 7:13 a.m.

I'm rocking the RF Atlas on my trail bike and I couldn't be happier with them. They're very slim but have a wide platform - perfect for larger feet. My bike is pretty low, so I do strike the pedals from time to time - so I know they're pretty burly.

Jan. 14, 2016, 7:37 a.m.

Kona Wah Wah. Cheap and cheerful. Multiple years of riding on this set with no issues at all.

Ride, don't slide.

Jan. 14, 2016, 7:47 a.m.

Im using blackspire sub420's the pins they use are very grippy(best grippy ive ever had) and they cost 120$ cad , Ive also been happy with NRG tasters choice at 100$ locally..

Jan. 14, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

My first set of Atlas pedals had the bearings seize after four or five rides.

Replaced the bearings and then rode for the rest of the season. Pulled a pedal off with my hand near the end of the season when I noticed it seemed to be sticking out a bit from the crank arm.

I'm running Scarab's right now mainly because that's all the shop had and I wanted to keep riding. Leggatt snapped the axle on his so that's kind of in the back of my mind.

I had exactly the same problem with the Atlas pedals except mine just fell off the axle:S If they fit your budget take a look at the DMR vaults,huge platform,grippy pins,bomb proof if your a bigger dude with big feet.

Jan. 14, 2016, 8:26 a.m.

I still say the composite body pedals are the best bang for the buck. I have the eariler generation of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/nukeproof-electron-evo-pedals/rp-prod122950

They are light, cheap and have decent grip. I imagine the updated version ive shown here have even better grip. They take a beating, and you dont feel as bad about beating these guys up as you do a $200 set of something more bling.

They are also available from Deity, NRG etc….

Jan. 14, 2016, 8:29 a.m.

Spank Oozy Pedal

Jan. 14, 2016, 9:14 a.m.

If you can pony up the dough the Race Face Atlas are amazing!!! Run them on all my bikes.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 14, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

Spank Oozy Pedal

I'm running these too, but find I have to pull them apart and grease the bushing in them quite often.