Flat Pedal Shoes

July 10, 2019, 4:17 p.m.

Looking for recommendations for my next flat pedal riding shoes purchase. My last two pair have been Five Ten Impact VXi and I have been less than impressed with these shoes (both price and durability) so I think I'll look elsewhere this time. Any strong opinions based on whats currently available? Cheers.

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

July 11, 2019, 11:15 a.m.

Curious about the newer brands like Ride Concepts and I think Afton? Last year I managed to get MEC to warranty a pair of Five Ten Freerider Pros that were showing massive sole wear after 12 months but they said they won't do it again. I'm not riding as much these days (and no bike park) but those shoes are already showing more wear than I'd expect after a year. Not acceptable for a $220 shoe.

July 11, 2019, 5:38 p.m.

I just got a pair of ride concepts hellion yesterday, haven't used them yet but they seem nice

Dec. 31, 2019, 6:22 p.m.

I really like the  5-10 Freerider shoe for my flat pedals & currently have 4 pair, but I find they just don't last. 2 of them have holes in the soles, & the other 2 the uppers have worn thru in places. Is it worth it to buy a more expensive pair of 5-10's or better to  try a different brand?

Dec. 31, 2019, 6:35 p.m.

I rode Ride Concepts this year.  I lost my footing on my Chromag Dagga pedals a few times in really shitty places (hi Crab 4).

The Impact Pro Vxi or whatever the hell they're called these days have been my go to shoe for years, and I'll be going back.  Sucks they're pricey and don't last that long.

Dec. 31, 2019, 6:41 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I rode Ride Concepts this year. I lost my footing on my Chromag Dagga pedals a few times in really shitty places (hi Crab 4).

The Impact Pro Vxi or whatever the hell they're called these days have been my go to shoe for years, and I'll be going back. Sucks they're pricey and don't last that long.

My experience as well, but ride concepts has another stickier compound I haven't tried yet, might do the trick. Fiveten is the gold standard in grip but the durability isn't great, especially those impact vxi!

I have a pair of the ride concept transition clip shoes that are still in mint shape after a season of use, and the grip is great with clips haha. But if they make a sticky compound with that durability that would be a winner for flat shoes.

Last edited by: Kevin26 on Dec. 31, 2019, 6:44 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 31, 2019, 8:46 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

Posted by: ReductiMat

I rode Ride Concepts this year. I lost my footing on my Chromag Dagga pedals a few times in really shitty places (hi Crab 4).

The Impact Pro Vxi or whatever the hell they're called these days have been my go to shoe for years, and I'll be going back. Sucks they're pricey and don't last that long.

My experience as well, but ride concepts has another stickier compound I haven't tried yet, might do the trick.

No kidding!  I'll definitely give those a go as otherwise the shoe was great.

Jan. 1, 2020, 8:42 a.m.

https://singletrackworld.com/2019/12/vaude-am-moab-mid-stx-waterproof-mtb-shoes-reviewed/?fbclid=IwAR3Gc9eN0oAL5b5Vnk2673SVykdgeB6r8bWXuRHk_l0_O4DCWVuGda89Lss

These peak my interest. Nothing on their site yet.

Jan. 4, 2020, 10:30 a.m.

i have been using the "ordinary" 5.10 impact and so far they have been uphiolding pretty good, tbh. I had a look at the xvi version and was immediately told by a rider in the shop that they will last until the end of the season, and that was two seasons ago. 

So far I have been quite impressed by the shoe. The Freerider I had before were too thin and on longer park day my feet hurt, so I bought the normal impact and all is well, after two seasons of riding park and my hardtail on funduro tours I am happy. There are some marks on the soles from the pins and a stitching is coming loose but after two years that is fine with me.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 4, 2020, 4:14 p.m.

I tried some Ride Concepts Hellions - construction is excellent. Sole is less sticky than 5.10 rubber, but not bad. I found the heel cup quite shallow and it didn't hold my foot securely of provide much protection at the ankle. I wore the same size as my 5.10's but shoe was a bit longer and narrower from side to side. Stiffer than OG Freeriders. If the heel cup was deeper I'd buy another pair. If them remain the same I would skip them.

I also tried some North Wave Clan shoes - construction is excellent. Sole is less sticky than 5.10 rubber, but similar to RC soles. Fit was good and I wore same size as my 5.10's. I liked them a lot and will keep wearing them. I'll probably buy a second pair when it's time.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 4, 2020, 4:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 7, 2020, 8:47 a.m.

Are Adidas Terrex Trail shoes sold in Canada? Can't find them on the website. They use 5.10 rubber for the soles but are (reportedly) much better made than the 5.10 themselves. Plus they are actually quite decent for hiking.

Some riders in the alps swear by approach shoes made by La Sportiva. The ones with "Megagrip" soles.

Jan. 7, 2020, 11:14 a.m.

Posted by: Timer

Are Adidas Terrex Trail shoes sold in Canada? Can't find them on the website. They use 5.10 rubber for the soles but are (reportedly) much better made than the 5.10 themselves. Plus they are actually quite decent for hiking.

Some riders in the alps swear by approach shoes made by La Sportiva. The ones with "Megagrip" soles.

Jenson ships to Canada for free over $150.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Adidas-Terrex-Trail-Cross-SL-Shoes-2019?_br_psugg_q=addidas

Jan. 7, 2020, 7:27 p.m.

This past fall I was stuck on a bike trip having forgotten my Impact Pros at home.  I ended up buying these Bontrager Flatline in a pinch, and I actually prefer them to the 5.10s.  Comfortable and they've held up well so far.  The grip against the OneUp aluminum pedals on my bike is very slightly less than a 5.10 sole, but definitely secure feeling.

Jan. 12, 2020, 3:04 a.m.

Anyone of you evrr tried the flst pedal shoes by Ion?

July 29, 2020, 11:08 a.m.

Anyone have any recommendations for the most "minimal" shoe? least padding, lightest weight, thinnest sole, etc...