Five Ten Freerider Pro - durability?

July 25, 2018, 9:01 p.m.

Posted by: HeyZeus

I have a pair of the new 2FO flats (1.0, not the 2.0) very light and breath very well. Not as stiff on the foot as 5.10s but so far so good. I have had pretty good experiences with the big Red S and clothing/shoes so I'm interested to see how they hold up. I've had them for a month and a half, not nearly long enough, but so far so good. 

neoprene sleeve is nice for keeping the dirt out of them though.

the sleeve is something i wish 510's had. too many dirty socks! I feel like 510 will eventually come out with a pair that has one

Aug. 10, 2018, 11:34 a.m.

Finally went into MEC this week and was able to convince them to give me store credit on my Freerider Pros. MEC is no longer doing the no questions asked thing, I had to argue (politely) with the customer service rep for a few minutes before she gave in... "This looks like normal wear on a bike shoe to me". My argument was that the uppers were still pretty mint while the soles had two holes completely through in 14 months, and somehow the Freeriders I also bought at MEC years ago lasted 3 full seasons before I got the Pros. Pretty sure she checked my account history and saw I was not an abuser of returned items as well.

Grabbed another pair of Freerider Pros... won't be riding as much the new couple years so they should last longer, and I want to try clipless at some point.

Last edited by: grambo on Aug. 10, 2018, 11:35 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 13, 2018, 3:54 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

did you consider the Impact Pro's as an alternative?  i get the impression it's a heavier duty shoe with a PU midsole for more solid support compared to the rest of the 5.10 line (EVA).  few people seem to have them or comment on them...

I thought about it, but I won't be riding park/DH much over the next few years so figured the extra weight rotating around the cranks wasn't worth it. I thought they were 200g a foot heavier but turns out it's just 100g per foot... not a huge deal in mountain biking either way. If these Freerider Pros die a fast death maybe I'll try em next time.

Aug. 20, 2018, 6:53 p.m.

Posted by: LWK

I think its pretty clear that 5:10 soles are not particularly durable, esp for heavier riders, lots of bike park riding, etc.  

I mentioned above that I was going to try a pair of Shimano flat pedal shoes (GR9 model, but all their models have the same sole).  I have a couple of rides in now and initial impression is that they are very grippy.  Maybe not as soft and "sticky" as a 5:10 but the combo of the small interlocking tread pattern and rubber does seem to grip very well.  For reference, I have HT and Shimano Saint pedals on my various bikes and have been on flat pedals/shoes since forever.

Time will tell regarding durability but initial impressions on grip and performance are very positive.  So I'm thinking/hoping there is finally an option to 5:10 shoes

I started off with impacts and then switched to freeriders, which lasted a season (maybe 6 months around here). I'm about 100kg with gear, but even so, I wasn't impressed by that durability, so I gave the shimano Gr-7 a shot. I like the shoe a lot- comfortable and the grip was really good. Like LWK said, not quite 5.10 level, but sufficient. The problem that I ran into is the durability. The soles are toast- you can see through to the green sublayer in multiple spots after 2 months. Basically big chunks of rubber have torn off where the sole contacts my pedals (one up). Bought the shoes through my local shop and took them back, but shimano won't do anything in terms of warranty. Hoping that they hold up better for others, but I'm going to try the freerider pros.