Finish Line Disc Brake Cleaner

April 18, 2021, 8:06 a.m.

I'd get some actual brake parts cleaner from lordco and hose everything down. 

Pull the pads and wash them in a bowl of hot water with dish soap (cuts oil). 

Then wipe it all down with alcohol. 

I find brake cleaner does leave a little bit of residue. Seems irrelevant to automotive brakes but it affects bicycle brakes. 

I just stick to isopropyl alcohol from the drug store now. Leaves no residue and its strong enough for bike brakes, they don't get *that* dirty. 

If things get real dirty I do the water and dish soap, rinse, dry, wipe with alcohol routine. 

Using various other chemicals was always hit and miss in terms of contaminating pads or rotors and having to start the cleaning process over (or in some cases buy new parts) .

April 18, 2021, 12:04 p.m.

Mean Green. Rinse well.....

April 18, 2021, 3:36 p.m.

Alcohol, sandpaper and some elbow grease saved my pads and rotors.  Just bedded them in again and all is back to normal.  Won’t be buying that junk again.

April 18, 2021, 7:26 p.m.

I swear by methyl hydrate. I think it’s stronger and leaves less residue than iso

April 18, 2021, 9:05 p.m.

Why do you all clean your pads and rotors? What is the performance advantage? My brakes work great, right to the point that the pads need to be replaced.

April 18, 2021, 9:11 p.m.

I now bake pads and rotors on the BBQ then clean with rubbing alcohol

April 18, 2021, 9:35 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Why do you all clean your pads and rotors? What is the performance advantage? My brakes work great, right to the point that the pads need to be replaced.

i cleaned them last time cuz shit got on them, I transported a bike on the rack behind the car and 400km later the pads were contaminated with some fucking thing from just driving along on a paved hyway

if you don't have any sand paper handy rubbing them on a cement floor has worked for me in the past

so i got a Fat bike with noisy brakes, the bedding in process is a series of high speed stops ?

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 18, 2021, 9:41 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
April 20, 2021, 3:21 p.m.

I find under normal conditions regular dirt and grease will degrade the power and grabbiness slowly enough that I just get used to it.

If I clean my rotors and pads the brakes are more "positive" feeling, grabbier and have more total power.

I do it as part of my "thorough clean" that includes simple green on the drivetrain and frame scrub down - I take the pads out, scrub and degrease the bike (including the caliper), then clean the pads and rotors and pay attention to where chain lube is going when lubing up the chain.  Routine clean is a spray with the hose and re-application of chain lube, no brake clean then.

April 21, 2021, 6:20 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

i cleaned them last time cuz shit got on them, I transported a bike on the rack behind the car and 400km later the pads were contaminated with some fucking thing from just driving along on a paved hyway

if you don't have any sand paper handy rubbing them on a cement floor has worked for me in the past

so i got a Fat bike with noisy brakes, the bedding in process is a series of high speed stops ?

Find a steep hill, sprinting on flat ground to do it is silly. Hard brake, let go just before brakes fully lock up, repeat. My current Maguras took 20 hard stops to bed in.

Don't lock em up, the point is to grind pad material into the rotors, if the rotors aren't moving against the pads it's not helping any.