Fenders? Marsh Guard vs RRP Guard(s) vs Mudhugger

April 30, 2018, 7:57 p.m.

This past weekend was glorious. The shore was basked in sun and it felt like a gift from above. I head out the door in T-shirt and in a matter of minutes I’m on the trail and something hits me; winter still has a decent grip on the dirt under me. Perfect time for testing some fenders. It seems like the Marsh guard (or similar products) is the most popular around here; it’s light and is way, way better than having nothing. But I’m going to focus on three fenders that are wet weather experts; the Mudhugger Front Race, the RRP ProGuard Standard, and RRP ProGuard Max Protection.

I seem to have a unique ability to catch all available mud on the trail with my eye balls. Right in the balls. And it seems to happen more often on the lip of a jump or mid air, right when sight is non-optional. So you can probably see why I’d want a massive fender up front.

First up, the Mudhugger. This was my first serious fender for winter riding and I was impressed with the size (~17”). It weighed about 0.08 kg (on my scale) and on the trail I didn’t notice the extra heft up front. What I did notice was how clearly I could see. I still have one nugget or two make it past the fender during really nasty rides, but that’s a big change from 10+ with the smaller fenders. One thing I really liked on the Mudhugger was the lip at the front of the fender; it brings the front of the fender really close to the tire and I imagine that it helps with reducing the amount of mud flying forward, directly in the riders path.

Next up are the RRP ProGuards. These fenders are big, at (~19.5”) for the standard and (~23”) the Max Protection (this thing is huge). The fenders come in at 0.12 kg and 0.13 kg, respectively. Both fenders work really well, but I can only think of a few bikes that would be better suited to the Standard vs the Max protection. I’m thinking 29er’s with under down tube mounted water bottles (i.e. Yeti SB 5.5c, Kona Process 111, etc.). I haven’t tested it, but there may be some clearance issues, so check things out before you dive in.

OK, back to the fenders. The standard fender is awesome, much better than the smaller ones you see around. But if I’m spending ~ 120 g on a fender, I’m going to the Max Protection. It’s awesome. My unscientific data says that I get slightly less crap in the face than the above 2 fenders. It inspired confidence in nasty conditions and I felt I could push harder knowing that I would be also to see any wet, diagonal roots that seem to reach up and pull back to earth when you least expect it.

I really enjoyed my time on all these fenders. If I was buying fenders for some serious wet weather riding, or to just keep faceward trail debris to a minimum, I’d probably go with the RRP Max Protection for the late fall through early spring, then the Mudhugger for the summer. After trying these well made products, I’m not going back to the smaller fenders, even if it pushes my XC bike over 31 pounds!

If you have any questions, please post below and I’ll try to respond quickly.

April 30, 2018, 8:01 p.m.

And if you're looking to purchase these fenders in the Lower Mainland....

Lynn Valley Bikes carries the Mudhugger Front Race for about $60 CDN.

RRP fenders are distributed by CCN Bikes and you can buy them online here

April 30, 2018, 8:17 p.m.

Yep. I ran the Mudhugger on both bikes for a while, then the RRP Max protection on my smaller bike (with 29er 2.3 DHR 2's) and the Standard on my Enduro bike (with 29er 2.5 DHF wide trails or 2.5 DHF DH tires). Full disclosure, I purchased the Mudhugger and Phil from CCN bikes let me test the RRP guards.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

April 30, 2018, 8:25 p.m.

Meh, fender season's about to end, eh? But thanks for the heads up on where to get the Mudhugger locally.

Last edited by: tungsten on April 30, 2018, 8:50 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 30, 2018, 9:39 p.m.

Mudhugger on my bike , I love it

April 30, 2018, 10:57 p.m.

If you want to order the RRP ProGuard in Canada or the US you can get them from:

Reciprocators

Address: 2455 Dollarton Hwy #217, North Vancouver, BC, Canada, V7H 0A2

Tel: 778 996 2453

Email: [email protected]

May 1, 2018, 8:29 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

i also have the Mudhugger rear fender. first one sent to Canada when they just came out. it's also the bomb. now they are longer though and i've put a lexan extension flap on mine. one shop locally stocked them this winter and now a few mates run them. buddy calls it a game changer.

I have one as well , bought the pair off PB a couple yrs back , really nice fender . Too bad it,s truly designed for a HT frame . I keep my front fender on all year , helps keep dust and dirt out of the face in the summer as well.

May 1, 2018, 9:47 a.m.

mudhugger on the front and has done what it said on the tin. I never felt the need for a rear fender though

May 1, 2018, 6:53 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Meh, fender season's about to end, eh? But thanks for the heads up on where to get the Mudhugger locally.

Yeah, I hear you. But there's always a few days until the end of June that seem to be super wet. Plus, these fenders are burly, and will gladly wait out the summer season ready for that first mucky ride in the fall!

May 4, 2018, 8:54 a.m.

I like the fender Hart and a few others run.  Apparently the mount or fender is fork specific.

Nov. 3, 2018, 3:36 p.m.

I have been using rear Mudhuggers fo 4 years now and will not buy a bike that it won't fit on.  My friends all have them and I am seeing more locals all the time with them.  I find that the regular front MH and Marshguards don't do much to keep mud out of my eyes, so with the help of this thread I have RRP Proguard Max protection guards on the front of both my mountain bikes now.  The first ride I deliberately charged through as many deep puddles as I could find and miraculously finished with a clean face and clear eyes.  Heavy, check, dorky, check, works great, check.

Nov. 3, 2018, 3:36 p.m.

I ordered from Reciprocators and highly recommend them.

Nov. 6, 2018, 11:02 a.m.

I ordered from Reciprocators and highly recommend them.

x 2 !

Thank you for your patience, please accept my sincere apologies for the radio silence.

We have just become aware of a bit of a black hole that was created with our ordering processes, when we transitioned between administrative staff/process.

The good news is: 

1) We will ship your order tomorrow 

2) You will get a 50% credit on your credit card so half of your Proguard is on us.

Once again thanks for your patience, that was a unusual turn of events that caused this. 

Happy trails! 

Very best 

Liette Mowatt

Reciprocators.ca

Nov. 6, 2018, 3:33 p.m.

I had a similar response. I had estimated a time of arrival based on their website and after a week too long I sent an email. A second email and then this response. I’m probably going to order a second fender for my second soon. The big ones are really better than those small ones.

Nov. 7, 2018, 10:05 a.m.

I have a few rides on the RRP pro guard and am very happy.  It is secure and keeps mud and water out of my eyes 100% of the time.