Fenders

Sept. 1, 2018, 2:31 p.m.

Im looking at getting a commuter for winter commuting up here in whistler. I'd like to get something that I can recycle old bars/tires/drivetrain onto.

I commuted the past 3 winters on a cruiser, but wouldn't mind something with a normal bar and disc brakes for extra drifts as well as a proper drivetrain.

I have been looking at mec and the Planet Bike Cascadia seem to work according to reviews. Can anyone recommend the correct size or something better?

Sept. 1, 2018, 11:56 p.m.

I commuted two hours a day in Toronto for a couple of years. Gears seized and turned into a single speed pretty quickly in the winter. I would recommend a single speed for this reason. Cheap parts, durable and reliable. Any mountain bike will do. Preferably no shocks. They fit renders well. Also, you don't need horizontal dropouts, just get a surley singulator - they work amazing.

Sept. 6, 2018, 12:30 p.m.

I have the cascadia fenders and after 5 years of mega use, some of the rubber fell off... pretty reasonable considering how cheap they are.

pro: breakaway tabs at the mounts

con: will likely need to modify to fit anything that has mtb geometries or lots of space between the bottom of the crown and wheel.