Fedex and UPS shipping fees

Nov. 11, 2012, 8:41 p.m.

I recall the topic has come up in several threads in the past about the ridiculous fees that UPS and Fedex apply to items shipped in from the US to Canada. I have a personal grudge against these bas%%ards, so take great delight in sharing the following information that may be off assist in case you choose to utilize thier services for some bike-related (or non-bike-related) shipment.

You need to scroll through a bit to get the exact accurate info, but there are some lower mainland posters on the page that provide good details. Basically, it explains how to effectively (and legally) avoid the extra fees that the courier companies attempt to sluff onto receivers (essentially doubling their profits after charging the shipper already).

http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

Nov. 11, 2012, 8:57 p.m.

why is it that cbsa isn't controlling this?

Nov. 11, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

I would guess because CBSA isn't concerned with the convenience or treatment of the consumer, their job is to attend to processing of goods through the border. Fedex and co. have (arguably legal) mechanisms (albeit offensive to consumers) that function to facilitate flow of goods while streamlining the process to the convenience of CBSA. However, if the consumer chooses to exercise their rights, the CBSA has ultimately not sold out their function to the private contractor (Fedex etc), and is perfectly willing to allow you to clear your own goods, thus avoiding the offensive fees that may otherwise be applied.

Basically, the couriers saw a buck to be made, and the gov't saw it as no skin off their back, so no reason to stop them. It's the consumer advocacy groups that have stepped in (eg Ontario). To my knowledge, what the couriers do is technically legal, even if it offends one's sensibilities to be essentially coerced into paying upwards of 50% of the value of a package (or more), based on current caselaw from Ontario. However, there are options to avoid this, which begins with demanding USPS only, or following the long and convoluted directions in the link.

Nov. 12, 2012, 7:40 a.m.

Its the brokers that piss me off. PBB in particular. They call there service a value added one when you question how they gouge you. Then threaten you with collection agencies for non payment!
Thx for the info

Nov. 13, 2012, 5:58 a.m.

You could just use USPS and wait a few more days? May not be that great for larger more expensive packages but for small things it has worked well for me. But It is definitely a huge rip off and scam, what ups and fedex charge for shipping is outrageous.

Nov. 14, 2012, 2:07 p.m.

USPS/CPS is pretty good and I think their $8 (?) charge for brokerage is fair. But often you're forced to use UPS from US stores so this info is really handy.

You can physically take a package and tell the driver to send you a bill. But if you don't pay, you'll likely have troubles getting deliveries in the future and you may get the usual collection agency calls. It cannot affect your credit rating though. I've never done this but its been pretty tempting when I'm standing at the door fuming over outrageous brokerage fees.

I'll keep bumping this just outta hate for UPS (and FedEx ground to be fair). In fact, it should be stickied. And it should be titled "How to dodge brokerage fees on UPS/FedEx shipments".

Thanks cerealkilla!

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 14, 2012, 2:16 p.m.

you guys make it sound like all UPS shipments rape you with brokerage fees. Not true. Only the regular UPS delivery is bad. Most US places that use UPS will use International Expedited which doesn't have any extra brokerage fees.

You just need to be aware of the service they use.

Nov. 14, 2012, 11:59 p.m.

you guys make it sound like all UPS shipments rape you with brokerage fees. Not true. Only the regular UPS delivery is bad. Most US places that use UPS will use International Expedited which doesn't have any extra brokerage fees.

You just need to be aware of the service they use.

Same thing with Fedex express. Depending on the value, brokerage can be covered. Not as nice for ground though.

www.knollybikes.com

:canada:

Nov. 15, 2012, 5:18 p.m.

^^ true. Air shipments are pre-cleared, ground is where the rape occurs

Nov. 15, 2012, 5:20 p.m.

or just have packages shipped to mail receiving places just over the border.. and get free shipping

Nov. 15, 2012, 10:28 p.m.

CBA didn't like it today when I told them the only thing I bought was gas and mailed a snowboard for warranty.

Truth!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 23, 2013, 3:01 p.m.

A co-worker just got a $60 UPS brokerage bill - she did the self clear thing with no problems. Bump!

forgot to add, UPS lied about when initially questioned about it. It was only when she explicitly told them what they were required to do that they begrudgingly did it. Sorry but those guys really are douche bags. I mean policies are policies but lying to people is pretty low.

Jan. 23, 2013, 3:27 p.m.

I know this is only semi-related but hoping someone can answer.

Ordered around $150 of parts through CRC, got the free shipping option. Somehow the idiots at customs read the value as $950 instead of $150 so there was a $200 duty tacked on which I refused to pay. Sent the package back to customs to re-assess their mistake but I'm still expecting to have a small duty fee attached once they've gone over it.

How come I have only been charged duty on some orders from chainreactioncycles, I've had to pay small duty on 2/5 orders which does not make sense? I read that I can dispute and duty fees since I should not have to pay any at all, is this true?