"Fast" rear tires

Oct. 19, 2022, 11:57 a.m.

How many of these tires are WT

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/maxxis-dhr-and-dhf-wide-trail

I know the agressor is not

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 19, 2022, 2:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 19, 2022, 1:55 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: Sethimus

Ah probably true but like a lot things broped related it's irrelevant. Op is asking about tires for mountain biking.

if it’s under 20kg it’s still a mtb

Oct. 19, 2022, 3:59 p.m.

😂

I had a whole string of not MTB's in the early 2000's.

----------------

Back to pedally rear MTB tires ...I think for road commuting to the trailhead then not dying on the trail, the DHR dual in the narrow 2.3 size is my current fav. Rode one down to bald last summer, just put another one on last month. 

Rekon is quicker but burns up too quick for my steep riding habits. DHR's got better side knob grab, is surprisingly light, is more durable and after some center knob wear (or all of it) it gets faster 😉

Oct. 21, 2022, 2:14 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

😂

I had a whole string of not MTB's in the early 2000's.

----------------

Back to pedally rear MTB tires ...I think for road commuting to the trailhead then not dying on the trail, the DHR dual in the narrow 2.3 size is my current fav. Rode one down to bald last summer, just put another one on last month. 

Rekon is quicker but burns up too quick for my steep riding habits. DHR's got better side knob grab, is surprisingly light, is more durable and after some center knob wear (or all of it) it gets faster 😉

Try a 2.3 Minion Semi Slick then.  Fast but with the same Minion side knobs.  They also do them in DD IIRC.

Oct. 21, 2022, 7:35 a.m.

Funny, I kinda like the DHR best when it gets down to semi worn flat center knobs so it's like a pretend SS. It's like a free SS after having a 2.3 DHR dual lol.

When they first came out I ran a couple of actual SS's. Side knobs were tough to disengage, felt like something was a bit off on the mould design or maybe rim width requirement or I did something wrong? It was not exactly right.

I decided I didn't care all that much for semi slicks in general though after a few due to death by mud. Rock Razor was probably my favorite for tread pattern, but even then the squirrelly speed/ braking control needle is pretty pegged in the greased lightning direction.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Oct. 21, 2022, 8:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2023, 2:44 a.m.

Where is everyone at with their fast rear tyres.

I'm on a 2.25 Tough Fast Trail Boss on the FS and 2.3 Minion SS Maxx Terra on the HT.

I'm after something like the Minion but in a heavier casing and maybe 2.4 but can't find one atm. So fast rolling but super agressive side knobs.

Is anyone using an Aggressor DD?

Last edited by: fartymarty on June 23, 2023, 2:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2023, 5:19 a.m.

Been using the Aggressor DD, but much prefer the Dissector for the same use. I find the Dissector to be faster rolling and with better cornering abilities.

June 23, 2023, 8:54 a.m.

I’m on a pair of Continental Xynotal 2.4 enduro casing soft compound. Good rolling speed and grip too. Claimed to be their hard condition tire which around here is most of the trails. Even when wet it’s still mostly hard surfaces here in Whistler.

June 23, 2023, 10:14 a.m.

Posted by: olaa

Been using the Aggressor DD, but much prefer the Dissector for the same use. I find the Dissector to be faster rolling and with better cornering abilities.

Is there a DD Dissector?

June 23, 2023, 10:48 a.m.

I found the Dissector to be a good rear for about 2 weeks for braking.  So done with Maxxis tbh so they aren't getting any more of my $....   Specialized Eliminator and Purgatory are good rolling tires, cheap and last descent.

June 23, 2023, 11:16 a.m.

Specialized tires are on sale now too!

I have a couple big ass Butchers on the way to replace the poor man’s slaughter my rear one has turned into and have backup for later. $66 each so 2 delivered for about the same price as a single nice Maxxis.

June 23, 2023, noon

Yeah dissector is good except the lugs are just too fragile. They don't last for me, either. 

SE4 is a decent option as well.

June 23, 2023, 11:09 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Is there a DD Dissector?

Yep, i've got a DD Maxterra Dissector.

Weird about the durability, i have a dhr on the other bike that is looking much worse after less riding, especially the sideknobs. 

I have a set of Xynotal replacing the worn dhr, so that will be an interesting comparison as well.

June 24, 2023, 5:50 p.m.

DHR lasts slightly longer for me than the Dissector in the rear.

June 28, 2023, 8:06 a.m.

I've run Aggressor DD. Great tire for dry conditions. I hate the Dissector. Feels decent for 10 rides then the side knobs are 80% mush and 20% torn off and it tries to kill you.