fanny-pack / hip pack

Sept. 20, 2017, 10:30 a.m.

Just a question, if riding with a hip bag are you not scared of crashing/falling onto it? Or is it just my head?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Sept. 20, 2017, 11:53 a.m.

I'm not too worried about that, but now my back really does feel exposed

Sept. 20, 2017, 12:22 p.m.

At the moment, my shorter rides involve stuffing stuff into a roadie jersey underneath an outer (more baggy) one. If anything, this should be an improvement.

Sept. 20, 2017, 9:22 p.m.

Posted by: stinky_dan

I'm not too worried about that, but now my back really does feel exposed

Well, to be honest at the moment I do not even bother taking tools and a minipump with me. 

I go on short evening rides, 10 to 12 km, about 70% of which are trails and forest roads, the rest roads. Since almost in a loop I figure I can walk if I have a mechanical. 

Until now I never ever thought about my back as being exposed. :/ Which is a nobrainer. 

Thanks for reminding me....guess I ride with a small backpack again from now on.

Sept. 29, 2017, 1:35 p.m.

Did a quick ride in Galbraith yesterday and noticed several riders running the Dakine bladder hip pack . Also saw several of the High Above waist packs.

Sept. 29, 2017, 2:06 p.m.

I have the dakine hot laps and my buddy as the one with the bladder. Best purchase ever. Hot laps is great if you're able to carry a bottle on your frame so you can just keep the phone and some tools in the pack.

Sept. 29, 2017, 2:12 p.m.

I have 2 hip packs.

1 is the smaller Dakine with the side bottle holder. great for short rides, i typically throw a small bottle on the pack, phone, keys, tool in the bag and i'm good to go.

2 is a Camelbak with a 1.5l bladder. it has more room inside, plus the way the buckle velcos / buckles in place i can stow a jacket. i had my headlamp battery and a rainjacket in it the other night and it fit snug. it's gone on some longer rides this year, and i was good for water with a bottle on the bike.

i still get a sweaty lower back, but i don't miss the whole sweaty back thing.  As for crashing, i don't think about it. best thing to do is just not crash!!

Sept. 30, 2017, 10:37 a.m.

https://www.weecog.co.uk/products/core

here,s another hip pack , they also have smaller frame bags as well .

Oct. 13, 2017, 1:44 p.m.

I just got my High Above pack. A little larger than a Dakine Hotlaps but stable enough and it has a couple cord locked loops to attach a jacket to the outside. I tried a first gen Palos but the weight of a full bladder sucked. Initially the waist strap needed to be cinched up every 100 metres until I added a couple slider locks but even then it would loosen unless I left the bladder put. Sold it. I prefer this HighAbove unit. Fits a tube, pump and a handful of parts and food with room for the MSR Trailshot filter. Wallet and phone too. Small bottle on the bike, tools in the steer tube.

Oct. 17, 2017, 2:05 p.m.

After riding the Camelbak Palos for a few months I've retired it. It was wreaking havoc on my lower back. I went back to a standard backpack style and everything went back to normal.

Oct. 23, 2017, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: craw

After riding the Camelbak Palos for a few months I've retired it. It was wreaking havoc on my lower back. I went back to a standard backpack style and everything went back to normal.

where are your wearing it on your mid-section ?? and I assume you are using the bladder ?

I run mine with no bladder ( bottle on bike ) and I wear it on my hips and low in the back . It does get bulky and discomforting at times with the bladder , Plus with the bladder the shape and fit continually changes as the bladder is drained .

I have worn mine for up to 7hrs during a race and found the bladder to be a real pain . So much so I would hydrate for days prior to a race so I could just use the bottle

Nov. 22, 2018, 12:31 p.m.

Old thread, but just wanted to say I am happy with my new Osprey Talon 6L fanny pack. Have had it out on a few 2h and some 4h rides so far. Plenty of room, I fit a tube, levers, 2x CO2, tire plug kit, quick links, zip ties and some other random tools, couple energy gels, zip loc bag of trail mix, keys, wallet and phone with lots of room to spare. I use the external straps to hold my flannel shirt/windbreaker on climbs. The included 2x 500ml water bottles plus the 1x 500ml I can fit on my bike (YT Jeffsy) is enough for anything besides all day rides in +30C for me. 

On longer rides I do find I have to pull the waist strap up if it slips down from my waist to my hips but that only happens when I have it a bit loose on climbs, it always stays in place on descents. When the water bottles are full I and notice the weight of the pack a little bit but after a few sips from each bottle it disappears.

Much much prefer both climbing and descending with a fanny pack vs full backpack.

Nov. 28, 2018, 9:08 a.m.

Been very happy with the Bontrager Rapid Pack I picked up 4 months ago.  Had it out on several long and short rides and have it stuffed with tools, phone, tubes, levers and snacks.

Couple of things I found, is that if you dont have a waterproof phone you need to get a different pack and it does stain pretty easily(Perma mud stains)

I was a little concerned about have a bottle mid back, but I been off the bike a few times and the pack rotated to the side

Not mine, but gives you an idea of the staining

Nov. 29, 2018, 9:43 a.m.

https://labaustere.com/

Have not tried one or seen it in person . But on RideMonkey the guys are speaking very highly of this hip pack.

Nov. 30, 2018, 2:17 p.m.

I have an Evoc pack for big days or if I am leading a group so I can carry enough food and first aid for people, and a Dakine fanny pack for those in between rides, but lately I have been riding with no pack...minimal tools/tube on the bike in a dry bag and a pump mounted to the side of my bottle cage....this has been a great setup.