Failing steertube?

Aug. 27, 2003, 11:22 a.m.

So I was installing my bearing race on my steertube yesterday like a dumbass with a big flathead screwdriver and a hammer I thought I'd be carfeful but I wanst and nicked the steertube down by the race. (not too bad of a nick but noticible)

To add to the problem this is an aluminum steertube (a non machined one with a cast type surface finish) on a single crown fork. (5" Z1 bomber)

Any experiene out there with a steertube failing due to this or will my weak link still be the stantions? I ride hard enough that this fork well stressed as it is.

And no, I dont want to run a double crown….:(

Thanks for any input!

Aug. 27, 2003, 12:01 p.m.

I am not sure what to tell you. I would not feel comfortable riding a fork with a critical component damaged like that. But that's just me.

On another note (not necessarily directed to you), I don't exactly understand some riders these days. They want a fork capable of DC travel in an SC form, and then they bitch and moan when it breaks. I think 5" is the max a 1.125 SC fork should be capable of. Anything more and it's asking for trouble. Maybe it's just me.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

Aug. 27, 2003, 12:05 p.m.

I agree with Bac here.

EroticRobin

Aug. 27, 2003, 12:25 p.m.

i hate to say it, but regardless of a knicked steertube, the fork would have failed anyways if you ride hard at all it will break i can almost definately say.

Aug. 27, 2003, 12:34 p.m.

You're the only one that can see the size of this nick, I don't think anyone could tell you from here.

I think it'll probly be fine, unless it's more of a gouge.

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

Aug. 27, 2003, 1:16 p.m.

Its also brand new fork…a warrany replacment. I wish I had the steel steertube. Maybe I could press it out and press in a cro mo steertube?

I do see your point about the dual crown, that will be my next upgrade.

Aug. 27, 2003, 1:24 p.m.

You might just be better off selling it and getting a DC now, and of course use the correct tools to install parts.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.