Exporting Bike to WA

Sept. 23, 2019, 9:31 a.m.

Interested to see if anyone has done this, I have a potential buyer lined up down in Blaine for my bike.  If I were to drive it across the border to sell it, would I need to declare to US customs that Im doing that?

Do I have to pay taxes on the way back up?

Sept. 23, 2019, 11:49 a.m.

I’ve gotten buyers to meet me just north of the border (e.g. in the parking lot of the Campbell River Store). They’re importing it to the US so let them deal with it.

Sept. 24, 2019, 12:59 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

I’ve gotten buyers to meet me just north of the border (e.g. in the parking lot of the Campbell River Store). They’re importing it to the US so let them deal with it.

Ya I would agree

Sept. 25, 2019, 9:36 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Easier to get back across if you sell it to him dirty? 

I wonder how the weekend Whistler hordes get their bikes back over the U.S. border without hassles.

I had the full customs shakedown once bringing my (U.S. purchased, no less) bike over the U.S. border. They wouldn't even accept the U.S. bike shop receipt I had with me.

Oct. 21, 2019, 10:14 a.m.

Posted by: ehfour

Interested to see if anyone has done this, I have a potential buyer lined up down in Blaine for my bike.  If I were to drive it across the border to sell it, would I need to declare to US customs that Im doing that?

Do I have to pay taxes on the way back up?

If you want to be legal you'd declare to the US border official you are selling the bike in the US and you'd pay any relevant taxes/duties to the US government. You don't have to declare the transaction to the Canadian border official.

Oct. 21, 2019, 11:51 a.m.

Got it all sorted, he came across the border and dealt with US Customs!