Evil insurgent

Sept. 26, 2019, 6:50 p.m.

Bumping this, looking to replace both my bikes with one next year and thinking the Insurgent might be a good way to go, especially since one of my favorite shops is an Evil dealer :)

Anyone have any recent experience on these bikes?

Sept. 26, 2019, 7:15 p.m.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/evil-insurgent-frame

Sept. 26, 2019, 7:23 p.m.

Now that's a colour lol

Sept. 27, 2019, 11:07 p.m.

I've been riding an insurgent for the past two seasons. Great Bike. I bought a large (their recommended size on the chart). I think I would size up next time. The Super slack seat tube sets the effective STA more slack the higher it goes. That would be my one gripe. Ok climber but not incredible. That being said, it is relatively efficient pedalling with decent anti squat. Downs are amazing.

This all being said, I just picked up a knolly warden frame (which I did size up) and I like it much better. The knolly has way more suspension activity while pedalling which provides endless traction. The downs are just as good if not better. Interestingly I find the knolly more stable at speed despite very little difference in wheelbase. The seat tube angle feels pretty similar on both.

One significant difference in the builds is that I mulleted the knolly which I am digging. I'd think about doing it to the evil as well.

Pics for comparison

can't get the pics to show up from pinkie for some reason....

Sept. 27, 2019, 11:08 p.m.

Sept. 28, 2019, 1:19 p.m.

Thanks, that's some good info.

Any days in the park on them? How are they on the jump trails?

Sept. 28, 2019, 8:53 p.m.

I don't do Park so can't say but I think both would be fine. The evil has a really high leverage curve and you are supposed to put your weight + 20 in psi in the shock. I imagine an air shock would wear quickly doing so many laps. I replaced the body and seals after one year of trail riding. If I was doing Park I'd just make sure it is a coil. You can run long forks on both and they really rip in their low positions. Both have really progressive travel, they feel very buttery in the top and supportive through the bottom.

If Park is a big part of what you do, the evil has slightly slacker geo and would be awesome with a coil. With a 170 Fork, the geo would be even better than what's listed.

Oct. 2, 2019, 5:52 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/evil-insurgent-frame

That colour is awesome. 

Am looking at replacing my bikes as well....but just scared of carbon.

Oct. 2, 2019, 8:20 a.m.

Have a Wreckoning. Have rode the insurgent, which is  way more snappy and lively. The Wrecker is an awesome bike but just seems to want to plow thru everything in a straight line. Dunno if any other 29 enduros are snappy or that's just the way it is. I did demo the new 27.5 Transition coil Patrol  .... that is a killer fun bike for freeride/ park.... Probably my next buy.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_PatrolAlloyGX.cfm

Oct. 6, 2019, 8:26 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Have a Wreckoning. Have rode the insurgent, which is  way more snappy and lively. The Wrecker is an awesome bike but just seems to want to plow thru everything in a straight line. Dunno if any other 29 enduros are snappy or that's just the way it is. I did demo the new 27.5 Transition coil Patrol  .... that is a killer fun bike for freeride/ park.... Probably my next buy.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_PatrolAlloyGX.cfm

Ok...do not really have Transition on my radar. A friend of a riding buddy snapped the chainstays on his Patrol a few times....he is a bit on the chubby side though. 

Probably go with a full-on dh bike for park due to lower maintenance than a single crown bike. My kid is addicted to riding park.

Oct. 6, 2019, 2:12 p.m.

Park is not a huge priority, I was only curious.

I am coming from a Darkside looking for something more nimble. This thing is a beast to pedal.

Oct. 7, 2019, 10:33 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Park is not a huge priority, I was only curious.

I am coming from a Darkside looking for something more nimble. This thing is a beast to pedal.

Compared to the Darkside you will probably find the Evil much easier to pedal. I have a titanium hardcore hardtail and on flat-ish strava segments am still faster on the insurgent. It pedals fine. On really steep climbs you notice the STA and have to get forwards on the saddle but other than that, I don't have any issues. My favorite part of the ride is how much fun it is. The front end comes up easy and it manuals well, it carves corners and is nice and stiff. If you have a good deal on one, you will have a great time riding it.