Evil insurgent

Dec. 17, 2017, 12:42 p.m.

Anyone ride one of these? Haven't really payed much attention to evil since they had that warranty issue. On the lookout for a new biek and this is a big contender

Edit - interested in other options too but because of the nature of my job and location I haven't really had a opportunity to check shit out. Any recommendations

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

Last edited by: BurkeMtnRider on Dec. 17, 2017, 12:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 17, 2017, 10:47 p.m.

find out what your favorite bike shop carries.  All brands are pretty good now.  I am liking the Transition's new geometry.

Dec. 17, 2017, 11:31 p.m.

Evil call it a "two wheeled death machine".....and the new suspension system is designed for simplicity LOL.

Dec. 18, 2017, 10:09 a.m.

The weird head tube may not fit on older ns racks. Newer ns racks seem to be alright though.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 18, 2017, 3:06 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

find out what your favorite bike shop carries.  All brands are pretty good now.  I am liking the Transition's new geometry.

Favourite bike shop is 1200km away. I will not support the shop up here due to a bad experience. i came in with a wad of cash and was trying to buy parts/order in, to avoid buying online and they kept trying to sell me cheaper parts that they had in stock and wouldn't order what I wanted. I'm perfectly content with ordering online now.

Dec. 19, 2017, 10:16 a.m.

This frame is either going to be discontinued or revamped.

I'd probably choose one of their frames from the 'ing line of bikes.

Dec. 19, 2017, 11:26 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

This frame is either going to be discontinued or revamped.

I'd probably choose one of their frames from the 'ing line of bikes.

^This. They are blowing out the old Insurgents, so chances are a new one is on the horizon in some form. One of the most common complaints with the Insurgent was a slack STA (eventhough Evil somehow measured it to be 74.8) that is a problem for taller riders. Current Insurgent frame is non-boost, non-metric if that matters at all in your plans on the new bike buying.

A Calling, FollowingMB, Wreckoning are the wiser choices in the Evil line right now as they have slightly more up to date geometries. Im still not sold on their QC, but their CS seems to have gotten better from what I have read.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Dec. 19, 2017, 11:27 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 19, 2017, 10:43 p.m.

I agree that 'up to date' geometry may not be better depending on the rider and circumstances.  The slack STA would be the only real caveat I would have if he is a taller rider.

Dec. 20, 2017, 10:33 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

is the more up to date geometry necessarily better though?  is the insurgent not an awesome bike as it is? maybe the pricing will be great on a bike that (may) work perfectly for you. i'm not sure that every new geometry iteration is best for everyone.

Are you not fan of the slack and crazy long reach...

Dec. 20, 2017, 8:26 p.m.

I don't think I'd be interested in having my bike be super duper long. My trails are often quite tight with have awkward corners, both up and downhill, and I can't see that being super awesome with even longer wheelbases and top tubes than on the niners I've used so far.  Steep STA sounds good though.

Last edited by: tashi on Dec. 20, 2017, 8:27 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 21, 2017, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: BurkeMtnRider

Anyone ride one of these? Haven't really payed much attention to evil since they had that warranty issue. On the lookout for a new biek and this is a big contender

Edit - interested in other options too but because of the nature of my job and location I haven't really had a opportunity to check shit out. Any recommendations

That warranty issue? The one with pretty much all of their bikes, and zero communication?

I don't get how folks are willing to throw money at brands that have behaved so shabbily in the past. There's so many excellent bikes out there without needing to support brands like Evil.

Dec. 21, 2017, 2:14 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Posted by: BurkeMtnRider

That warranty issue? The one with pretty much all of their bikes, and zero communication?

I don't get how folks are willing to throw money at brands that have behaved so shabbily in the past. There's so many excellent bikes out there without needing to support brands like Evil.

My thoughts exactly.

Dec. 21, 2017, 5:38 p.m.

follow sullbikes on Instagram , he shred's on a Insurgent .

Dec. 21, 2017, 9:54 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

is the more up to date geometry necessarily better though?

Yes!

/thread

Dec. 26, 2017, 4:55 a.m.

There are numerous stories/interviews out regarding Evil's past and how those days are behind them. My friend is a local dealer and they've been great to work with the past three years. We've seen exactly two bikes require warranty service (both of which were due to improper rider set up; improper torque, etc.). Evil took care of these promptly. 

As far as the bikes go, nothing rides like them. Go read the reviews. I've ridden all of them and my daily driver is the Wreckoning. The Insurgent is a fantastic bike and if you already have the parts and wheelset that will go on it (142 rear axle/27.5 wheels) then picking up the current frame at it's reduced price is a no brainer. Otherwise, pick one of the newer models that turns you one. If you want further specifics ask away.