Ergon Saddles

Sept. 16, 2017, 8:28 p.m.

My current saddle (Chromag Moon DT) seems to be killing by butt lately and causing numbness, etc. Looking for a new one that's more comfy. Ergon saddles look like they could be a good solution - do any of you guys have experience with them? Or other brands/models that you would recommend? Do any of the local shops carry Ergon saddles?

Sept. 16, 2017, 9:10 p.m.

SME3 MTB Enduro

I have one but have yet to try it out , I also had too order it in , none of the shops I deal with carried stock .

Sept. 17, 2017, 9:38 a.m.

I like the Moon saddle (I think it's now called Mood) but the Specialized Henge is better for me. Available in a couple widths too.

Sept. 17, 2017, 10:11 p.m.

I've tried an Ergon saddle, and for me it was one of the worst saddles I've planted my butt on. Too flat, too wide at the back, too hard on the nose. Just didn't work for me. I gave it an honest try of at least 6 rides but after climbing for 20 minutes, numbness set in. Even after adjusting the angle. WTB Volt is working for me now, been very happy with it, as well as a Bontrager Montrose. Having said all this, it doesn't mean it won't work for you. I went through at least 6 saddles before I came up with something that worked. Try and find a store with a demo program or at least a comfort guarantee.

Sept. 18, 2017, 8:18 a.m.

Have the SMA3 myself. I'm pretty prone to numbness on less steep sustained climbs like Mtn. Hwy. I was on a Chromag trailmaster which i liked as much as any other saddle, but still the numbness. I thought the SMA3's flatness/wideness would help "relieve some pressure" but the numbness is similar. The nose on the trailmaster is much more comfortable than the SMA3, however i'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me in the least. I like the SMA3, can't fault it overall, after a few months on it.

Depending on where your numbness is (the sit bone area or gooch/grundle/taint, etc.) you may want a saddle with even more relief channel.

Sept. 18, 2017, 9:24 a.m.

If you check out the front page there is a review of a SQL saddle that piques my interest....Using a cheap volt now, but something like this looks pretty good.

https://nsmb.com/articles/sqlab-611-ergowave-saddle/

Sept. 18, 2017, 1:16 p.m.

Posted by: krusty-rider

Try and find a store with a demo program or at least a comfort guarantee.

Anyone know of any Vancouver shops that have something like this?

Sept. 18, 2017, 4:25 p.m.

I’ve been using the sqlab 611 titube for 2 years without any issue. Highly recommend and the saddles are rugged enough for north shore riding and our weather. Once you realize how your sit bones should be sitting on a saddle you will never go back to the full gooch contact saddles. Just perform the cardboard sit bone measuring procedure here and get an idea on the width of saddle you need. Use a piece of thin cardboard that you have in your house.

Sept. 21, 2017, 7:51 p.m.

Race Face Atlas causes numbness. Just tried a Chromag Mood DT, which I think is worse. The search continues.

Last edited by: idle on Sept. 21, 2017, 7:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 22, 2017, 10:44 a.m.

RF Atlas is a narrow/short DH saddle isn't it? I have the I-beam version on my DH bike. Would definitely not want to pedal on it although I have a wide ass. Chromag Trailmaster has worked for me in the past, now looking at a Fabric to replace the stock SDG Fly on my new bike.

Sept. 22, 2017, 6:09 p.m.

The sqlab saddle looks great but the price is pretty crazy - aren't they like 200 USD?

Sept. 29, 2017, 1:16 p.m.

I will have some feed back on the Ergon saddle in the next few day , I just swapped out my trusty Moon DT for the SME3

Oct. 6, 2017, 1:40 a.m.

I like the elongated nose of SQlab saddle. Great for climbing.

Oct. 6, 2017, 10:29 a.m.

So a few days late , but still feedback , I did a lap on Sunday with the Ergon saddle . First thing I noticed is the width and length of the rear section of the saddle , It's not really that much wider (few mm's ) it's the length of that area , it is 10 to 15mm longer in the shape . My first impression was I need to slide it back , but will wait till we do some climbing and trail riding . Turns out I felt the same whil climbing and on the trails so was the flu bug is out of me I will long more mileage and share my thoughts .

One quick note , comfort wise I ride with no padding in my shorts , and other then the saddle not being in the right position on the bike . I did not have any discomfort from it,s shape or padding .

Oct. 7, 2017, 1:42 p.m.

Had an Ergon SME3 for about a year now, no complaints. I should try their grips next.