Endorko helmet dork off

March 8, 2017, 7:44 a.m.

I'm participating in that classic frenchy multi-day enduro race this June in Provence and have been thinking about facial and head protection. Carrying an open face and a full face helmet sucks, so that's off the table. For Crankworx EWS I didn't mind doing the full day full face helmet because it's mostly been a lot of lift riding in the past couple years and there's always endure walking...but the thought of a full face only for 6 days of 8 hour days with lots of climbing = bleh, and open face on blind racing = sketchy, imho.

So what's less dorky, playing a trials moto rider on the non-descending bits with the Giro Switchblade, or having a cutaway chinbar like the Fox Proframe all the time? I kinda wish the Giro had the main helmet venting of the Proframe....at least they're both available in matte black.

dork on!

March 8, 2017, 8:04 a.m.

I'd try both helmets on and see which one fits the best.

March 8, 2017, 8:18 a.m.

Posted by: Dean-W

I'd try both helmets on and see which one fits the best.

come on, be more subjective!

March 8, 2017, 8:44 a.m.

you might also consider the met parachute which is available at mec. basically the same idea as the fox proframe

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

March 8, 2017, 10:21 a.m.

Posted by: dutch

you might also consider the met parachute which is available at mec. basically the same idea as the fox proframe

dork quotient way too high...those things look terrible

March 8, 2017, 10:38 a.m.

really? the old one was pretty hideous but the new one is pretty good i thought.

March 8, 2017, 1:28 p.m.

Having read about the possibility of entering the TP as an amateur I amwas tempted but declined. 

Enjoy every fucking kilometer, flip....which I am sure you do. 

When is it exactly? Since I have a Sabbatical until the end of August, I might drop by at the end for a pint. 

Not having tried the Switchblade but loving the idea I'd go all Giro on this one. Come on....

Although....my little one (6 years old) wanted the Met. Arrived today. A really nice helmet with a quality feel.

March 8, 2017, 3:53 p.m.

The Fox Frame looks really good and seems to have the latest of every technology. If it fits right, that would be my first choice. Plus it comes in the best colour that never goes out of style or looks like shit after one muddy ride.

Last edited by: kperras on March 8, 2017, 3:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 8, 2017, 5:10 p.m.

I've been thinking the same thing. I didn't like the Bell. I found that it fit different depending on whether the chin bar was attached. The Met Parachute was promising but didn't fit me well either. I tried the Fox today and it didn't fit me quite right either. I found that the MIPS liner rubbed me in a weird way and despite the huge vents in the chin bar it still felt decidedly like I was wearing a full face. 

For me the Switchblade is the winner. Remove the chin bar for comfortable AM riding anc climbing. It sits nice and balanced with or without the chin bar. And without the chin bar it's a good option for moderately technical trails especially in iffy weather. For me the Switchblade is the winner. I would go try them all on. Kinetik cycles has the Fox and Switchblades in stock in most colour/size combinations.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 8, 2017, 6:48 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I've been thinking the same thing. I didn't like the Bell. I found that it fit different depending on whether the chin bar was attached. The Met Parachute was promising but didn't fit me well either. I tried the Fox today and it didn't fit me quite right either. I found that the MIPS liner rubbed me in a weird way and despite the huge vents in the chin bar it still felt decidedly like I was wearing a full face. 

For me the Switchblade is the winner. Remove the chin bar for comfortable AM riding anc climbing. It sits nice and balanced with or without the chin bar. And without the chin bar it's a good option for moderately technical trails especially in iffy weather. For me the Switchblade is the winner. I would go try them all on. Kinetik cycles has the Fox and Switchblades in stock in most colour/size combinations.

good post, thanks! I think the 'decidedly like wearing a full face' was the line I was looking for from someone more in the know than me....I think if things were predominantly descending with lift access then the Proframe might be more appealing, but with substantial pedalling I think I need to not be penned in full time

March 9, 2017, 1:13 p.m.

I'm very interested in the Fox....but waiting for the new Kali to come out. Met helmets just don't fit my head...so that ones out.

March 9, 2017, 6:28 p.m.

I'm not keen on the large chin bar openings. I can see sliding across the ground and hooking something and getting an injury from that. There is always the chance of hooking the chin bar through the main opening anyway I suppose but I think helmets for off road should be rounded to avoid snagging as best as possible. You can borrow my Switchblade flip, if it ever stops snowing and we get spring instead of another period of glaciation. I think it's a medium.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on March 10, 2017, 12:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 31, 2017, 1:24 p.m.

I have a S2R and I never take the chin bar off anymore. I thought that the ability to remove it was a great feature at first.

That is until I went down HARD and my cheek hit a rock, cracking the chinbar. I was exiting 5th, thinking that my run was over, and I went head first into a pile of rocks on the left and in the bushes right before the final drop to the road. I wouldnt bother to stop to remove the chinbar in a situation like that, but if I had a few kms of XC (just like exiting 5th), I would. No longer.

I guess what Im saying is that I wont ride open face anymore. Now that these chinbars are so unobtrusive I dont see the reward of removing them. I barely even notice it on my S2R. I could switch it out, but why bother? It saved me from probable surgery that day in an segment of trail that I never felt there was risk.

Id go with a chin bar that cannot be detached.

Last edited by: Ddean on March 31, 2017, 1:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 31, 2017, 3:01 p.m.

The leatt option seemed a little less dorky

April 2, 2017, 7:42 a.m.

I picked up the matte black Fox yesterday. Looking forward to trying it out. 

It sure is light and I think looks pretty cool too.