Elixir CR vs. new Saint

Jan. 2, 2010, 11:03 a.m.

My feedback:

Pushing 230 LB + so stopping power is fairly crucial.

Was running the Elixir CR front for about three months. Good brakes but did come across the following issues:
a. Blowing through brakes pads
b. Bleeding was a issue
c. Never could get the same feel after switching out pads. Had to do some major fine tuning.
d. Cheap design/assembly

Got a replacement front Saint and could not be happier. The ergonomics are comparable to my previous Louise FR's so this brake feels right at home.
The craftsman ship of the Shimano is far above the Avids. The caliper and lever assembly really do inspire confidence. No cut corners in the design, assembly and hardware spec.
Have been running them since October and no negative feedback yet. Have yet to come across any sort of fading as mentioned above.
As for the cost of brake pads, shop around. Online (CRC) you are looking at about $29 CAD which is right in line with all other pads.

Jan. 2, 2010, 11:23 a.m.

I'll keep it short.

Rode the saints a few times at Mt. Washington. Super grabby, very powerful, not much modulation. Too much lever travel and the lever itself is a bit narrow for my preferences. Bleeds with mineral oil is a bonus imo.

Own a set of Elixir CR Mags. Very powerful, great modulation, unsure about fading issues since I haven't put them through those kinds of rides yet. Bleeding is tricky. It took me a few times to get all the air out of the levers/calipers. Properly bled, they feel amazing. Lever throw and shape is great as well.

Jan. 2, 2010, 11:26 a.m.

I've used both a fair amount and the Avids are way better. Not really any more powerful but more consistent no matter how hot they get. Mineral oil brakes fade when they get really hot. It doesn't matter what brand, but every mineral oil brake I've ever tried suffered from the same affliction.

DOT all the way. If you don't like getting fluid on your little pink purse then I guess that would be a concern, but otherwise just harden the fuck up.

Also, lever position and throw is far more intuitive on the Elixers, meaning more of your fingers are on the bar.

Jan. 2, 2010, 1:23 p.m.

Chris, just get the Elixirs - you ride your brakes the whole time you ride, so the brake fade you'd get from the Saints (leading to injury), and the expense of replacing brake pads every 2 rides would ruin you.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 2, 2010, 4:07 p.m.

^ you do realize bleeding a car brake is different from bleeding bike brakes.

there are more chances of getting fluids on your hands bleeding bike than car I find.

Of course I realize that bleeding a bike is different from bleeding a car, I've done both.

Like I said, nitrile gloves and being careful means no skin contact with the fluid when bleeding my Codes.

Jan. 2, 2010, 4:25 p.m.

I have noticed a fair amount of fade before on my Juicy 5's.

Thread killer

Jan. 2, 2010, 5:41 p.m.

i never understood the on/off complaint.. when you're going down the steep fast, brakes never gonna stop you instantly. people need to just learn how to use fingers, and not judge products on parking lot endo test.

Jan. 2, 2010, 5:56 p.m.

i never understood the on/off complaint.. when you're going down the steep fast, brakes never gonna stop you instantly. people need to just learn how to use fingers, and not judge products on parking lot endo test.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Seriously that modulation argument has been beaten to death already. Your fingers are the modulators!

Jan. 2, 2010, 6:35 p.m.

I agree about the fingers as modulators things, but there is something to it having ridden both Hayes Mags and Juicy 7s. Its not all just fingers.

Andrew, you're right, I do drag my brakes, but I'm still faster than you. :lol:

Jan. 2, 2010, 6:45 p.m.

I agree about the fingers as modulators things, but there is something to it having ridden both Hayes Mags and Juicy 7s. Its not all just fingers.

Andrew, you're right, I do drag my brakes, but I'm still faster than you. :lol:

The brakes don't modulate though, you do. I have had Hayes, Shimano and Avid and the difference is how hard I pull the lever! Never had the "I tried to stop, but the brakes threw me over the bars - they are just on and off."

Jan. 2, 2010, 10:44 p.m.

Notice all the drama over bleeding Avids. Of course this is just an opinion (disclaimer) I've got codes and I have to bleed all the time. Always inconsistent. Don't even consider this a decision - go for the extra dough on the Saints and ride with confidence - every ride. + more power - always a good thing.

Jan. 2, 2010, 11:27 p.m.

do people still like the hayes nines?

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Jan. 2, 2010, 11:41 p.m.

How do Elixers compare to Codes? I'm getting too fast (too fat) for my Juicy 7's… (Posted via Mobile Device

Jan. 3, 2010, 12:51 a.m.

i can not believe people are comparing elixirs to the new saints.
i have been running a set of the new saints and i have been comparing it to my new set of hope tech/v2's on the other bike for power and all i can say is that these brakes have a ton of it and that fade thingy people are talking about… all i can say is i have not noticed any type fade ever. i think the new saints are pretty much equivalent to the feel and power of the magura gustavs they just replaced but at a fraction of the wait with a far better lever feel…..actually its more like a waaay better lever feel.

tried the elixirs several times and they are good brakes but i wouldnt compare them to the type of brake that the saint is. i find the elixer to be more comparable to a mono4, a decent magura louise or a juicy7. the modulation was alright but i didnt find it good enough for me to come out and say that the brake has awesome modulation(that would be the tech/v2)

ps: i have been drinking so the bottom line is even though the elixir is a good brake its half the brake the saint is…booyah
but then again it depends what your using it for….i didnt read what you wanted the brake for but i would assume it was for stopping a dh bike right?

Jan. 3, 2010, 10:36 a.m.

Yes. DH machine. I'm still a bit conflicted, but I am leaning more towards Saints still. Maybe I'll get the Elixirs for my FR bike?