Elixir CR vs. new Saint

Jan. 1, 2010, 10:47 p.m.

OK, I have done extensive searching on this, and I was originally dead set on the new Saints. Only now I have a line on the Elixir CRs, which will save me $$$ over the Saints. Before I start, these are going on a DH/shuttle rig. (For riding at Cypress/Squamish/Whistler.) I'm about 200lbs, and I've been running Avid Juicy 7s with no real complaints on my FR bike for a couple of seasons.

What I have gathered so far is that the Saints have gobs of stopping power, but are plagued by three problems: 1.)off/on feel 2.)cost of replacement pads (which is like double the price of everything else) 3.) Shimano specific hardware - if I snap a bolt (or strip one out, which is more likely) - it will not be fixed by a quick run to the local hardware store for a cheap replacement. Some have said that they run through pads more quickly. My experience with them was that they did feel a bit grabby, but nothing I could not get used to with some time.

The Elixir CRs are said to be more powerful than the Juicy's I've got now, and have great modulation. They seem to have had a bad initial run (NO WAY!!!) so there are lots of stories of leaky, air sucking reservoirs, and vibrating (howling) rotors. I have not ridden them at all, but I really like my Juicy 7s, even if they use DOT fluid (ugh).

I might have an option to get the Codes at a decent price as well, not sure though. Also not really sure I want to go that way as the inconsistent lever feel problems seem to plague the Codes even worse.

Formulas are out because of cost and difficulty to find parts. Advice?

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:19 p.m.

not sure what you're on about w/ regards to the hardware? do you mean the bolts holding the caliper halves together? anyway, they definitely take a bit to get used to how the power comes on, because there is a lot of it.

I don't like Avid stuff, personally. Just don't like how goofy the bleed system is, the hard to reset pistons, and the DOT fluid as the cherry on top.

My personal philosophy is that I'll take as much braking power as I can get, and let my fingers meter it out. I went with m810 saints.

That said, I do have a number of customers running Elixirs and enjoying them.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:33 p.m.

Why the beef with DOT fluid?

My Subaru and my Codes get the same Motul brake fluid, which makes it nice and easy :)

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:41 p.m.

Why the beef with DOT fluid?

My Subaru and my Codes get the same Motul brake fluid, which makes it nice and easy :)

DOT is pretty freakin' toxic stuff, whereas I use mineral oil to condition my wood cutting boards.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:42 p.m.

DOT is pretty freakin' toxic stuff

Well then don't drink it! :lol:

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:43 p.m.

Go Saints. Absolutely love mine. And if you're worried about cost of replacement pads the cost will be going down soon. Or you can always cut the little horns off old XT pads. As for pad life I just installed my third set after owning them since early March. Pretty acceptable pad life in my experience for riding it in all weather with half a month at Whistler. Nothing against Elixirs but they're a bitch to bleed.

I troll shitty posters like yourself, because it's amusing to watch you skidmarks get all riled up.

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:48 p.m.

Well then don't drink it! :lol:

it kills your skin, and destroys gloves. i prefer mineral oil too.

Jan. 1, 2010, 11:53 p.m.

and gets absorbed through your skin and ends up in your liver for a while.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 2, 2010, 12:22 a.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

u sure u don't have the modulation comparision backwards ???

Shimanos have always had fantastic lever feel for modulation

Jan. 2, 2010, 12:31 a.m.

and gets absorbed through your skin and ends up in your liver for a while.

Nitrile gloves + being careful = no problems for the small amount of fluid in bike brakes.

I change the brake fluid in my Subaru for auto-x and rally a few times a year, and I can't remember ever getting it on my skin.

Jan. 2, 2010, 12:48 a.m.

^ you do realize bleeding a car brake is different from bleeding bike brakes.

there are more chances of getting fluids on your hands bleeding bike than car I find.
considering for car you would only need to top out the reservoir and get someone to step on and off brake pedal while u loosen and tighten the bleed screw on the caliper

Jan. 2, 2010, 1:18 a.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

u sure u don't have the modulation comparision backwards ???

Shimanos have always had fantastic lever feel for modulation

the saints still have the gooshy feeling shimano lever, it's just that it's REALLY easy to lock up a rear wheel with these brakes. they never feel like squeezing wood like a Hayes, they just come on so bloody strong.

Check my stuff for sale!

Jan. 2, 2010, 8:51 a.m.

Tough call, both great brakes.

My Elixer CRs have been good, and they were from a fairly early production run. If you like Juicy 7s you'll really like the CRs. It can be difficult getting air out of the lever though (the factory tech at Crankworx had trouble, so it's not just me).

I know a few people who run the new Saints, they do feel a bit more on/off, but also a bit stronger. You can adjust reach, but not contact-point. If my LBS had them in stock at the time I probably would have gone with them… but I've got no regrets about going with CRs.

P.S. I weigh 150lbs with gear… so overall power is not a huge concern.

Jan. 2, 2010, 9:03 a.m.

Usually I reccomend saints for guys over 175….they have more power
But seeing as you like the juicys, get elixers because they are lighter, cheaper, and plenty strong.
Also check out the formula mega, around same price as elixer cr's and close to the power of the ones, w/out adjustment though
Posted via Mobile Device

Jan. 2, 2010, 10:11 a.m.

I used Elixirs from the beginning of 09 to mid-july when I sold that DH bike. I've been using the new Saints since the beginning of September when I got my new DH bike.

I switched from Hope Mono 4's to the elixirs and had a lot of trouble adapting to the decreased modulation and extra power for the first couple rides, but once I did, I thought they were great. Lots of power, didn't heat up too much, modulation was decently usable. Pretty good brakes overall - except the fact it seemed like I had to bleed them every 3 rides and often just the bouncing around in the truck driving up a shuttle road would leave you needing to sit down and pump up the lever for a few minutes to get pressure again. Not a huge deal, but it wasn't something I wanted to do.

When I started riding the Saints, I again had trouble with modulation and power for the first couple rides and had a lot of times where I would try to feather coming into a corner and the front would lock (never had brakes that would do that before!). That said, when I got used to the new Saints, I realized its not the modulation that I was having trouble with - it was just the power. The new Saint brakes just have so much power its unreal. On the other side of it, I have NEVER felt the slightest hint of fade with the Saints, whereas I could get the elixirs pretty hot with a few specific fall-line trails. I bleed my Saints ONCE, and am still running the stock pads 4 months later (though I only ride on the weekends). My elixirs would get only a handful of rides on each pad-set.

So far, the Saints are the first brakes I've owned where I honestly don't have to think about my brakes before I ride. Once you get used to having the power, you learn to love it, and they don't generate much noise at all. I've been really happy with them so far.

SOR