el jefe vs. avy

July 12, 2003, 3:14 p.m.

i alomst positve you can get a swinger in a 2.25 stroke, i think that is what i have.

i couldnt find the info anywhere and manitous website isnt like working for me.

July 12, 2003, 4:34 p.m.

go to www.answerproducts.com
the length of the shock has to be 7.875, dont know if the last two didgets were in the right order??? but that is the size it has to be. To change this thread around, which is better, avy or swinger?

BIGHIT FOR SALE… CHEAP
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item;=3669305997&category;=58081&sspagename;=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd;=1

July 12, 2003, 4:37 p.m.

Originally posted by Monster Mike
Hmmmm, I doubt the el jefe is any better and also know that an avy is not over priced. I havent gotten to take apart a El Jefe yet but are the internals hard coat annodised? I doubt it. Thats one big reasogn behind avys pricing for forks and shocks. Everything is hard coat annodised. So that it lasts WAY longer. When you change your marzocchi fork oil it comes out near black..Why? becaus the internals arent coated. All Avy stuff is thus why oil comes oil near perfect after a year of use. Its not so much that dirt is getting in the fork oil in marzocchis its that the worn internals"dust" isnt getting out.

No doubt. I'd like to add that Brassballs is the one talking sh*t since he doesn't even OWN a stratos rear shock. Me and mike here both own an Avalanche and have had it for longer than most of the stuff Brassballs has owned. How the hell do you form an opinion on that? "My 8 ball owned" You had it for how long???

July 12, 2003, 5:33 p.m.

Super8
i didn't relize you were so sensitive?
sound like a 12 year old school girl. face it, you spent way to much money on your shock and now your trying to justify it. there are better shocks for less money out there.
if you can't take it then don't try and dish it out cry baby!!!!

July 12, 2003, 5:37 p.m.

Originally posted by BRASSBALLS
Super8
sound like a 12 year old school girl. face it, you spent way to much money on your shock and now your trying to justify it. there are better shocks for less money out there.

LOL. At least I only SOUND like a 12 year old school girl. Fool.

Justify an Avalanche? Better shocks? Lol again. Is this planet earth?

July 12, 2003, 5:59 p.m.

Avalanche hands down.

BrassBalls have you ever owned either of these rear shocks? If not then you have little say on this topic.

If you're compairing performance there is no way el jefe could beat the avalanche. Price, the avalanche is exspensive, but that comes with quality.

All together the avalanche is the best option, price is justifiable and if you actually know how to ride a bike you probally can get hooked up by a local shop quite nicely.

And BrassBalls, you're an idiot.:)

July 12, 2003, 6:09 p.m.

swinger or avy, basically i would say swiger only because it will match your front perfectly. for general trail riding and freeriding i think it is better, for hucking the avy is incredible becaue of its durabilty and ultra unbottomable ness.

ohh and brassballs, shut up.

and super 8 just ignore it.

July 12, 2003, 6:14 p.m.

Originally posted by wisc fr-rider
and super 8 just ignore it.

Your right. But its all too entertaining.

July 12, 2003, 6:42 p.m.

Super8

Your an idiot. How many ppl have had the el jefe? This is just like shermans. Everyones like no man theyre hte shit theyre perfect, cant blow up. And not some are leaking, cartridges are blowing…. ect. Avys been tried tested and proven. Would you rather buy a shock not knowing if it will hold up in the LONG TERM or one thats a little more and will. Avy is proven, best dampening ive felt period.

July 12, 2003, 7:36 p.m.

Dont quote or count me on this but i heard that a guy working on the inside of Stratos, ordered and bought and Avy and they just opened it up and copied it. hahaha

Im not sure i just heard about it so dont go ape shit.;)

And Avy owns any rear shock right now.

Toyota 4Runner - Caged, Geared, Locked and Eatin Rock!

July 12, 2003, 8:12 p.m.

i say get the el jefe, you'll save yourself some coin, get it earlier, and get to try something new out.

Yeah - you'll get to be Stratos' "guinea pig". That's basically how they find out if something will work in the long tearm or not - they just ship it out. If a certain model starts comming back in mass quantities (ex: S-7s, Helix DHs), then they go back to the drawing board. Sure you'll save yourself some coin at first, but shipping it back and forth to Stratos numberous times and waiting anywhere from 3 weeks to over three months (yes - it happens. It happened to me) will soon have you kicking yourself in the ass for not just ponying up at the start and buying an Avy.

And yes, I have ridden an El Jeffe equiped bike. It felt ok, but was not as exceptional in a variety of situations like my Avy and didn't have that "bottomless" feel on large hits like my Avy.

Marzocchi forks suck?? I don't know about the rest of the line, but my 02 Monster T is the best fork I've ever ridden. I also have a 98 Z-1 with the original seals - maybe I've just been lucky.

Captain Stabbin' - what you heard was not a rumor. Like I said - that's Stratos' idea of R[HTML_REMOVED]D - they haven't come up with anything new for years, so they just buy a shock that's really hot and copy it. Of course they add the extra Stratos "magic touch" that ensures they will all blow up about six moths after they leave the factory.

Life is uncertain, death is not.

July 12, 2003, 8:17 p.m.

Originally posted by Burnsie
** you probally can get hooked up by a local shop quite nicely.

That's the only kicker - everyone but everyone pays for an Avy - I've never talked to anyone who got any kind of discount or deal. They're more than worth it, though.

Life is uncertain, death is not.

July 12, 2003, 8:18 p.m.

Haha i knew it:)

Avy is good shit
Marzocchi has been good to me
And Stratos..well ya never owned em but ridden em and ya they licked (S8,S7)

Toyota 4Runner - Caged, Geared, Locked and Eatin Rock!