Educate me on Tubeless

Sept. 21, 2014, 5:31 p.m.

Why can't Maxxis release relevant DH Casing tires in a 26" folding bead? Im talking DHR2, DHF, HR2, 3C and 42a, TR, EXO.

Im close to jumping over to Schwalbe for my gravity needs. And aside from my Purg, the last non-Maxxis tires I owned were some Nevegal DC Tomacs or something like that

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 21, 2014, 7:36 p.m.

Maxxis are slooow movers indeed. I doubt it has anything to do with 27.5 either. In fact they have some new head scratchers….for example: a 26X2.1 Ignitor EXO/TR. Yay?

Sept. 22, 2014, 7:23 a.m.

Why can't Maxxis release relevant DH Casing tires in a 26" folding bead? Im talking DHR2, DHF, HR2, 3C and 42a, TR, EXO.

Im close to jumping over to Schwalbe for my gravity needs. And aside from my Purg, the last non-Maxxis tires I owned were some Nevegal DC Tomacs or something like that

I have owned several dual ply Highrollers with folding beads. That was at least 10 years years ago though.

Sept. 22, 2014, 1:28 p.m.

I think they do, no? The UST version of the 2 ply DHF and HR have folding beads

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 22, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

Yeah Im wanting DRII and HRII in folding, possibly a Griffen and Shorty as well. I know there is DHF, HR, and DHR in UST. Didn't have too much success mounting UST Ardents on Arch 29s a few years back. Can't get DHRII DH Casing on 33 LB hookless, dish soap, garbage cans, metal tire levers.

I would just like to see them have more options out in with the current line. Im pretty certain I could be content running DHRIIs f/r on the DH bike almost year round, summer I'd likely run DHF/Griffen or something. DHRII up front on the Surface, and DHRII f/r on the 6" AM bike as well.

But maybe Im missing something so I ordered up some different tires that don't carry yellow lettering on the sidewalls
26x2.35 Magic Mary VertStar SG folding TL-Easy
29x2.35 Magic Mary TrailStar SG folding TL-Easy
26x2.4 Conti Trail King Protection+Apex folding
29x2.2 Conti Trail King RaceSport folding

Will see how I get on with these rubbers. All will likely be run ghetto tubeless, except the 26" TK as the 6" bike has a dent in the rim sidewall

Sept. 24, 2014, 10:56 a.m.

Are you getting that with single wall no reinforcement tires? I will get that too if I use too light a tire. I try and use Conti protection, Schwalbe snakeskin, specialized control and I find that I don't tear tires. Whatever you are using I think the answer is to bump up to a stronger casing.

Yea, always have used snakeskin or control. am now using the conti protection as I ruined a tire in Austria and needed a new one, and they are cheaper and everywhere here. Might need to bump up the casing even more. Just frustrating

Jan. 3, 2015, 2:54 p.m.

It's cheap (compared to Stan's golden ribbon) @ ~$3 a roll, and it seals the rim better then Stan's tape (no need to inflate a tube to bed down the tape to prevent air seeping under the tape when seating)… the only negative is it is heavier then Stan's tape

On rims that can be a real PIA to bead up tires on (like my Velocity Blunt 35mm rims) the Gorilla tape works great.

I use Stan's sealant and I remove the valve cores when seating the tires (Leyzne MtB floor pump -- no air compressor). Worst case scenario some soap suds will help really stubborn tires (Schwalbe Super Gravity tires sometimes come pretty pretzeled and don't like to take a more convenient shape) slide into place.

No problem airing up Racing Ralphs (Snake Skin 2.2 [HTML_REMOVED] 2.35), Hans Dampf (Snake Skin 2.35), Magic Mary (Super Gravity 2.35), HRII, DHRII, Ikon (3c EXO 2.2 [HTML_REMOVED] 2.35), Purgatory, and GC.

Your installation piqued my interest so I decided to acquire some older model Velocity P35 rims (found them for a good deal on Amazon) and set them up tubeless with my current tires. I'm assuming from your post above that with these rims, Stans tape (because I have a roll) and some sealant, a non-TR 3c EXO Minion 2.5 and DHR II 2.4 should set up nicely on these rims and hold air? I didn't want to buy proper UST tires or change to Schwalbe's as these tires are relatively new and I've read they set up fine "ghetto tubeless".

Shed head!

Jan. 5, 2015, 1:22 p.m.

^^ could be a little burpy since there isn't much rubber sealing the bead. If you haven't already taped the rim, gorilla tape might be a better way to go since its a little more gummy.

Jan. 5, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

^^ could be a little burpy since there isn't much rubber sealing the bead. If you haven't already taped the rim, gorilla tape might be a better way to go since its a little more gummy.

Cool thanks.

Shed head!

Jan. 5, 2015, 2:40 p.m.

You don't need sealent w/tubeless ready tyres? 3:00 mark…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hAKHYFKsJE

How many of you don't?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 5, 2015, 3:08 p.m.

I've never run any tire without sealant. I'm especially not going to with non-UST tires. I'm gonna try the gorilla tape method.

Shed head!

Jan. 5, 2015, 5:13 p.m.

yes you need sealant in TR tires otherwise air leaks through the microscopic pores in the tire casing

Jan. 5, 2015, 5:25 p.m.

Only time you don't need sealant is when using UST tires with UST rims.

And even then, why wouldn't you run sealant?

Jan. 5, 2015, 7:04 p.m.

I don't know that's why I'm posting in this thread 'cause I am using same rim/tyre as in above demonstration, eh?.

And man is that HansDamph ever a monster! Advertised at 795gm weighed on my scale @ 880. :(

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 5, 2015, 7:37 p.m.

You don't need sealent w/tubeless ready tyres? 3:00 mark…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hAKHYFKsJE

How many of you don't?

He's doing it wrong. Soapy water goes on the rim first. Take that tire lever and put it back in the tool box. Levers are for pussies. And can damage the bead. Hands only. Tubeless ready must use sealant. Must. Only UST tires on sealed rims can go without. But like others say, why would you not use sealant?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.