DVO forks, why are they rare as hens teeth?

Sept. 29, 2021, 9:20 a.m.

Could try suspension werx for sure, I never really think to buy parts there for some reason. 

I buy my dvo stuff from S4 suspension in Quebec, they keep really good stock.

Sept. 29, 2021, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Could try suspension werx for sure, I never really think to buy parts there for some reason. 

I buy my dvo stuff from S4 suspension in Quebec, they keep really good stock.

Yup Suspension Werx is listed as their western Canadian distributor so should have all spare parts for sure...

Been on a new Onyx SC and Topaz shock all season on my Sight.....I'm pretty blown away. Wont be going back to Fox or RS anytime soon....

Sept. 29, 2021, 2:59 p.m.

Posted by: Taz123

For DVO teardowns - where are you folks getting your seals and oil? I'm guessing any 7.5wt oil works, and was going to contact SuspensionWerx for seals - just wondering if anyone had a different suggestion.

SW can sell you the oil as well as the seals and other parts. I just ordered Motul 7.5Wt from Fortnine online shop, because I didn't think of picking any up when I was at SW.

Sept. 30, 2021, 4:16 p.m.

I think maybe they stopped gluing those lock rings so securely at some point. 

Both of my dvo forks were a bear the first travel change, but simple after that as I didn't re apply any locite. 

I recommend buying the pin spanner dvo specify for holding things when removing that lock ring. Just to avoid mangling stuff.

Keeping air pressure in the air spring was enough for me to undo the lock ring from factory without any issues. That I recall anyways, it's been a while.

Then you depressurize the spring fully, push the assembly in a bit, and remove the c clip and the whole shibang comes out

Oct. 1, 2021, 7:10 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

I think maybe they stopped gluing those lock rings so securely at some point.

Both of my dvo forks were a bear the first travel change, but simple after that as I didn't re apply any locite.

I recommend buying the pin spanner dvo specify for holding things when removing that lock ring. Just to avoid mangling stuff.

Keeping air pressure in the air spring was enough for me to undo the lock ring from factory without any issues. That I recall anyways, it's been a while.

Then you depressurize the spring fully, push the assembly in a bit, and remove the c clip and the whole shibang comes out

Be careful about using this technique. The original air spring assembly doesn't appear to have the c-clip holding the lock ring in place (as per the service guide), which is why they used thread-lock there. So leaving air in there could result in some face explosion action. The boost version definitely has the newer assembly, no thread-lock, and a C-clip holding things together.

The suggestion for having an appropriate pair of spanners on hand is a good one. I happened to already have one when I did the service, and they were very handy.

Last edited by: mammal on Oct. 1, 2021, 7:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 1, 2021, 4 p.m.

I'm loving the OTT & air spring in the Diamond. After a few shakedown laps on smooth flow, I took it to the steppy roots of Mt Victoria yesterday. Easy to tune to ride high without being harsh, though I added a couple of HSC clicks - I like the current feel, but wonder why it has ~30 clicks available, but the setup guide tops out recommending 10 clicks. Currently on 5 clicks in - recommended for someone 20kg heavier than me.

Dec. 7, 2022, 10:32 p.m.

Update PSA.

I've found twice now my Diamond feeling harsh, and on checking the settings have found the HSC has wound itself on. I don't change the LSC, so it's not me twisting them together. 

Today the HSC was 4 full turns on, but my note file said I'd left it at 1. 

Felt great again after resetting.

Dec. 8, 2022, 7:55 a.m.

That's really interesting. In my experience with the Diamond and Onyx, the HSC dial is very stiff, and is probably the last adjustment that would ever self-adjust during riding.  So stiff that I usually need to use the LSC adjuster, at it's max or min extent, to help wind the HSC adjuster in either direction. Then I reset the LSC to where it should be.

Dec. 8, 2022, 11 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

That's really interesting. In my experience with the Diamond and Onyx, the HSC dial is very stiff, and is probably the last adjustment that would ever self-adjust during riding.  So stiff that I usually need to use the LSC adjuster, at it's max or min extent, to help wind the HSC adjuster in either direction. Then I reset the LSC to where it should be.

Yeah that's how mine is as well, no way HSC would move on its own. I wonder if he means the OTT?

Dec. 8, 2022, 6:46 p.m.

I'm riding the D2 and nothing ever turns out of place, but it seems to be the same problem that others have had with the OTT adjuster winding itself out.

Dec. 8, 2022, 7:27 p.m.

Yeah that's how mine is as well, no way HSC would move on its own. I wonder if he means the OTT?

Nope. HSC. 

And yes, it's stiff AF to turn by hand. Unless a buddy has been messing with me, or I've been turning it without updating my note file, it's turned just through use. 

I know it sounds super unlikely, and I was very surprised to find it, but just as a data point to check if something feels off, there you go.

Dec. 9, 2022, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

That's really interesting. In my experience with the Diamond and Onyx, the HSC dial is very stiff, and is probably the last adjustment that would ever self-adjust during riding. So stiff that I usually need to use the LSC adjuster, at it's max or min extent, to help wind the HSC adjuster in either direction. Then I reset the LSC to where it should be.

Nope. HSC.

And yes, it's stiff AF to turn by hand. Unless a buddy has been messing with me, or I've been turning it without updating my note file, it's turned just through use.

I know it sounds super unlikely, and I was very surprised to find it, but just as a data point to check if something feels off, there you go.

Fair enough. I'm on 3 different DVO forums, and two Ibis Ripmo AF forums which are bikes that almost exclusively include Diamond and Onyx forks. I've never heard of HSC self adjusting, although OTT is a bad one for self adjusting (as Kenny mentioned), and LSC is easy to bump out of position by accident.

Then looking at the mechanism itself, if the knob is very difficult to turn by hand, it's going to take a lot of force for the internal assembly to self-adjust, and that stiff knob will turn along with it. If I were you, I'd use a paint pen or silver sharpy to mark the setting position, ride a bunch, and confirm for sure that it's self adjusting. If/once you confirm for sure, that's a specialty question for DVO (they're VERY helpful with end user communications), because your problem itself is "as rare as hens teeth".

Last edited by: mammal on Dec. 9, 2022, 11:02 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 10, 2022, 11:14 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

That's really interesting. In my experience with the Diamond and Onyx, the HSC dial is very stiff, and is probably the last adjustment that would ever self-adjust during riding. So stiff that I usually need to use the LSC adjuster, at it's max or min extent, to help wind the HSC adjuster in either direction. Then I reset the LSC to where it should be.

Nope. HSC.

Fair enough. I'm on 3 different DVO forums, and two Ibis Ripmo AF forums which are bikes that almost exclusively include Diamond and Onyx forks. I've never heard of HSC self adjusting, although OTT is a bad one for self adjusting (as Kenny mentioned), and LSC is easy to bump out of position by accident.

Then looking at the mechanism itself, if the knob is very difficult to turn by hand, it's going to take a lot of force for the internal assembly to self-adjust, and that stiff knob will turn along with it. If I were you, I'd use a paint pen or silver sharpy to mark the setting position, ride a bunch, and confirm for sure that it's self adjusting. If/once you confirm for sure, that's a specialty question for DVO (they're VERY helpful with end user communications), because your problem itself is "as rare as hens teeth".

I'm not entirely discounting operator error, or being toyed with by friends.

April 17, 2023, 7:21 p.m.

Velo did you ever figure out what’s going on with your hsc?

April 17, 2023, 7:53 p.m.

DVO forks, why are they rare as hens teeth ?

I'm betting something rather boring such as DVO does not have the marketing or distribution machine of SRAM or Fox