Dropper Question: Reverb vs Fall Line

April 19, 2018, 12:16 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Posted by: grambo

Pretty damn compelling at $200USD ($250-260CAD) without a remote. The travel adjust would be awesome for me. 150mm droppers are a hair (maybe 10mm) too long on my current bike due to a long seat tube and me wanting to run a large with short legs, so I run 125mm with some seat post exposed, this would solve that problem.

Being able to reduce drop is compelling, but it’s also worth looking into stack height of different models. You may be fine with a 150 in some models (e.g. X Fusion Manic).

Good point. There's a Google spreadsheet somewhere (that I thought I bookmarked, but did not) that lists the specs of all dropper posts including stack. I believe the Crank Bros Highline was actually the shortest stack due to the collar/sealhead but maybe the XF is close?

Unless my RF Turbine gives up the ghost (knock on wood) I will just run the 125mm. If it blows up and I can get it warrantied I would sell the post and buy the OneUp if customer reviews are positive.

April 19, 2018, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Pretty damn compelling at $200USD ($250-260CAD) without a remote. The travel adjust would be awesome for me. 150mm droppers are a hair (maybe 10mm) too long on my current bike due to a long seat tube and me wanting to run a large with short legs, so I run 125mm with some seat post exposed, this would solve that problem.

Being able to reduce drop is compelling, but it’s also worth looking into stack height of different models. You may be fine with a 150 in some models (e.g. X Fusion Manic).

Good point. There's a Google spreadsheet somewhere (that I thought I bookmarked, but did not) that lists the specs of all dropper posts including stack. I believe the Crank Bros Highline was actually the shortest stack due to the collar/sealhead but maybe the XF is close?

Unless my RF Turbine gives up the ghost (knock on wood) I will just run the 125mm. If it blows up and I can get it warrantied I would sell the post and buy the OneUp if customer reviews are positive.

I had the same problem recently... I ride a large frame but have short legs. Was looking to get a 150mm seatpost but I couldn't find anything that would work so ended up settling for a 125mm. My problem was that for the 150mm to fit me I needed to have it 100% slammed into the seat tube but then I didn't have enough space inside the seat tube for this to work. Perhaps on a different frame in the future I might be able to get a 150mm to work.

April 19, 2018, 1:19 p.m.

I love the action and reliability of my Manic. It is short from the seal head to saddle rails, but its rather long internally. I had a 125 Lev integra and figured I could fit a 150 Manic. But the Lev was actually one of the shortest posts internally. So I ended up settling with the 125 Manic

It looks like this 1up in 150mm is 30mm shorter internally than the 125 Manic. If only 1up could use the same cheap Manic cartridge too.

April 21, 2018, 12:59 p.m.

I just send my 9.8 back for the second time in a year for a rebuild. I can’t seem to go two rides on it with out the return speed slowing down significantly. If it does it again I’ll have it serviced again and sell it and try to get a bike yoke revive. For $475 this fall Line should be significantly better than the other droppers. I love the action, the Rebranded wolf tooth remote when everything works right. But damn it hasn’t lived up to its hype, the weather got nice and I’m stuck without a bike!

April 23, 2018, 5:05 p.m.

What service buletin or where can i find it?

Thanks

April 24, 2018, 7:35 a.m.

My experience has been that the old Gravity Dropper was very reliable, but finicky with cable tension, and had a crappy remote.  My Reverbs all sagged, had to be sent in for service, and had crappy remotes.  I haven't tried the new ones and am unlikely to.  I had 2 KS LEVs and one was pretty good but started to sag once the warranty was finished.  My other KS LEV spent more time being warrantied than on my bike.  My LBS gave me a loaner that I used more than the one I purchased.  I sold that one I got my first Bikeyoke Revive.   I was instantly spoiled and can't ride without my Revive because all the others feel like the are moving through peanut butter.  I had to get a second Revive.  If my budget was tighter I would get a Manic, and am OneUp curious.  I've been on the first Revive since last July and recently installed it on a new frame after it had been laying down for 6 weeks.  It was sagging and I didn't remember the sequence for reviving it because I had only done on the initial install.  Doesn't matter if the bike is hung up or upside down for a while, the Revive just works like butter every time.  Now I have a LEV that sags and needs service but won't be worth more than that cost.

April 24, 2018, 8:37 a.m.

Bear with as I have quite a bit to relate: I have had three Fall lines (and no not because they don't work!! I still own two of them). I started with the 150mm in my Nomad 3 (XL - rider 6'2" with 34" inseam). 9point8 sent it to me in March 2016 and it set up easily, although the original system of cable end at the post was far more finicky and a PITA to get perfect as one guess-imated and trimmed the correct cable housing length.

As soon as the Digit remote was available I bought one of them and it is far easier to set up.

Wear and tear? I rode 1800 km in training in three months, the 2018 Trans-Provence and guided all summer without an issue.

In November 2016, when it became available, I bought a 175mm dropper as there are times when the seat cannot be low enough with the 150mm!

I switched the 150mm to my fat bike and the only issue I had was a seat collar failure (and not from over torquing) where it cracked and a piece that surrounds the angle adjustment bolt fell away, luckily this happened on the trail to work rather than miles from home on a training ride.

9point8 responded to my email within five hours, I had a return label that evening and the seat post was re-built and returned to me within 10 days which is pretty good in my opinion. As it was not as a result of over torquing they even paid the shipping.

I am fairly certain that it might have been an invisible crack from a fairly big off (fell and flipped 12' off a rock wall into an olive tree, I don't know how I walked away from that one with only scratched and small rotor burn!!) during the Trans-Provence that finally failed and I told 9point8 that the dropper post had had a fairly active life including a few pretty decent crashes. The main point is, that other than the metal failure, the seal was perfect and the action almost as crisp as the first day.

My first 175mm 9point8 developed a leak last summer (full time guiding again so lots of miles and use - I use my dropper more than I change gears on a lot of trails) and it turned out that the schraeder valve core had become loose from trail vibration. I now carry a valve core tool but luckily, at the time, the maintenance chap at Tyax had a valve core tool for his ATV that he let me borrow.

I bought a full re-build kit and after watching the video (and having t available on my phone during the service) I managed a full re-build in about 40 minutes. Other than the brake release tool, which is fairly cheap to buy, it requires no tools that most keen mechanics don't already have in their tool kit.

So the 150mm post did a full (hard) summer and two winters and is now back on the Nomad 3 as it lives with its new owner.

My Sight has a new 175mm Fall line with Digit remote, and 300 km of spring training without a hint of trouble.

My Range has the 'old' 175mm Fall line with Digit remote which has 2800 km (mostly off road) on it but refreshed with a full rebuild kit.

I have also run Lev and Lev Integra (both pretty good) on older bikes and I have used Reverbs on rental/ demo bikes (even with the new remote it is still not as crisp feeling and the seat wobbles). The best I have got out of a Reverb is six days without an issue and I honestly believe that the hydraulic remote is the biggest weakness (now that the post seal overlap issue has been addressed - apparently) and those Reverb owners I know who have converted to something like the DeHy or Wolftooth ReMote Sustain seem to experience less problems.

The question of longer dropper posts exerting more force on the seals is just physics, of course they do which is why BikeYoke are proposing bigger tubes or integrating into the seat tube (34.9mm versus 31.6mm is a 10% increase in diameter let alone the increase in volume and surface area) to make the longer posts stronger and less likely to over-load the seals. But like suspension anything with a seal that experiences some small and continuous amount of lateral load has to be serviced and replaced eventually. The fact is the home rebuild on the Fall line is simple and relatively in-expensive.

Considering how well the Fall line works, how reliable it has been for me, how simple it is to set up and maintain, how there is only an hour down time for a full rebuild, the smooth light action and replaceable mounting bolt of the Digit remote and their customer service I just don't see why I would run anything other than a 9point8 dropper post.

Last edited by: andrewbikeguide on April 24, 2018, 8:47 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling
April 25, 2018, 7:22 a.m.

Well, after one ride on the e13 post I can tell I already love the thing.  

Super fast going either up or down.  I forgot how much better this is a I just got used to the lower speeds of the Reverb and PRO that i've been using for the last little while.

Good remote.  Nice and adjustable.  High quality feel.  Grippy paddle.  Only problem is that it's not identical to the old one so I keep pushing the wrong place, but that's not really a post problem is it?  I'll adjust.

Preset stops are challenging currently.   This thing moves fast, and I've been running infinite posts for the last 6 years or so so I expect a bit of adjustment period on this.  I seem to remember it taking about two rides to find the middle position of my Command Post and then it was automatic.

150mm of travel is a noticeable improvement over my PRO's 125mm.  Somehow 125 felt excellent on my Rootdown but the seat was in the way more on my Stumpjumper, this little bit extra gives me the room I remember having on the Rootdown and has improved my cornering and body english on the rougher stuff.

No cartridge, good remote, and a (relatively) low price.  What's not to love?  Thank god for competition, I'm amazed that the Reverb hasn't had a major redesign yet, I'd be sweating if I were SRAM.

April 25, 2018, 10 a.m.

I actually know quite a few of the 9point8 guys, they recently solved the air leak issue with an updated mainseal, I think there is a press release posted somewhere, I've had the fix in my post for the past 6 months and it hasn't skipped beat

April 25, 2018, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: MattyB

I actually know quite a few of the 9point8 guys, they recently solved the air leak issue with an updated mainseal, I think there is a press release posted somewhere, I've had the fix in my post for the past 6 months and it hasn't skipped beat

Do you think that's the solve then? i.e. the cause of these older complaints? It kind of sounds like it. The new ones will come with all the latest solves so should be good to go?

Last edited by: craw on April 25, 2018, 10:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 25, 2018, 12:34 p.m.

newer posts will have the fix in them, the added a sprung washer under the seal to press it into its seat

April 26, 2018, 3:50 p.m.

Is there any reason, besides buying Canadian, to pay the big bucks for one of them though?  Spending over $500 really doesn't seem necessary anymore.

April 26, 2018, 4:15 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Is there any reason, besides buying Canadian, to pay the big bucks for one of them though?  Spending over $500 really doesn't seem necessary anymore.

Extra travel. The Fall Line (200mm) and Bikeyoke (185mm) are the longest options. They're also both the most expensive.

April 27, 2018, 12:12 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

what's the tax in landed cost comparo Craw? pretty close between those 2 i imagine.  9.8 can be purchased (and therefore serviced/warrantied) through your LBS if that matters. not sure about BY. BY has big appeal, but i wouldn't be interested in dealing with out of country service.

Good question. 9.8 is Canadian, so despite the higher cost is way more appealing. I thought the Revive was user serviceable? Otherwise I’d be loathe to buy something that required support from a European company.

April 27, 2018, 3:18 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: JBV

what's the tax in landed cost comparo Craw? pretty close between those 2 i imagine.  9.8 can be purchased (and therefore serviced/warrantied) through your LBS if that matters. not sure about BY. BY has big appeal, but i wouldn't be interested in dealing with out of country service.

Good question. 9.8 is Canadian, so despite the higher cost is way more appealing. I thought the Revive was user serviceable? Otherwise I’d be loathe to buy something that required support from a European company.

Revive is 100% user serviceable.  You would have to order the parts kit in (which would be the same for the 9.8).  You can get the Revive from Jenson, which will be free shipping and 6-7% tax to your door in 3 days.  They often have them on sale at Jenson as well, in addition to 6% cash back.  Got my 160mm BY for $299USD +6% cashback.