Dropper Question: Reverb vs Fall Line

April 12, 2018, 9 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I wonder if the longer travel posts put so much more leverage at the seal head that air leaks are going to be more common. So perhaps for longer droppers, select one where the seal head does not hold air pressure as well? Are there any?

That's one reason I went for the TRS+ (e*13) post. It's just a simple spring design so no air to leak. I'll see how it lasts. Only have a few rides on it and so far so good!

Last edited by: Jenkins5 on April 12, 2018, 9:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 12, 2018, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: craw

Do you use an NSR rack? What's involved in burping it?

I have an NSR.  Ive only loaded the new bike on and off a few times, but I have never had to 'revive' the post afterward.  Like Dutch said, the revive process takes less than 10 seconds and a 4mm allen key (or provided wrench) if you should need to do it.

Like burping a Monster T :)

Despite my desire to go to 200mm AND support Canadian, I'm feeling like the Revive is my top choice so far. 185 is still more than I had, and hopefully enough given my new bike's steep STA.

April 12, 2018, 11:48 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Do you use an NSR rack? What's involved in burping it?

I have an NSR.  Ive only loaded the new bike on and off a few times, but I have never had to 'revive' the post afterward.  Like Dutch said, the revive process takes less than 10 seconds and a 4mm allen key (or provided wrench) if you should need to do it.

Like burping a Monster T :)

Despite my desire to go to 200mm AND support Canadian, I'm feeling like the Revive is my top choice so far. 185 is still more than I had, and hopefully enough given my new bike's steep STA.

If you do go Revive, Jenson had a sale on them when I bought mine.  20% off, +6% off with Active Junky.  Not sure they are on sale now, but you will get your post in 3 days.

April 16, 2018, 7:58 a.m.

I can't imagine choosing a Reverb for it's reliability, but I guess folks do luck out.  I also can't stand the hydro lever however.

Disheartening to hear about the fussiness of the Fall Line, I was hoping that was going to be an amazing super reliable long-travel Canadian made unicorn dropper post.

Just installed a e13 on my bike.  Haven't ridden it yet, but I like the loud thump it makes whenever it moves, the super fast action, and how solid it all seems.  And the price. So glad there's a real competitive market happening for these things now.  I'm hoping it's like a Command Post with some extra reliability (vs. the 2010 versions I used last).

April 16, 2018, 9:40 a.m.

X Fusion Manic. After a full year, mine feels like the day I bought it, with no sag or additional play. And if it dies, you just drop in a new cartridge, which is inexpensive. The only downside is that you can't adjust the speed, and the seat rises on the slower end of the spectrum.

On my AM bike, I put on a Race Face Aeffect post last week. It also has a good track record. I thought about getting another Manic, but wanted to try something different, and it plays better than the Manic with the Wolf Tooth ReMote LA I already had. Return speed is also adjustable by varying air pressure.

It seems the cheap posts are outliving the fancy ones when it comes to durability.

Last edited by: D_C_ on April 16, 2018, 9:41 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 16, 2018, 4:22 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

It seems the cheap posts are outliving the fancy ones when it comes to durability.

Truth. Bought a KS Lev five years ago and besides one cable change it has never needed service and works as it did the day I first rode it. Knock wood.

April 16, 2018, 9 p.m.

no need for hydraulics in a dropper.  SRAM makes huge bank on selling kits for their Reverb so why change.  They have the OEM market and people who don't research.

April 16, 2018, 11:35 p.m.

OneUp is getting into the dropper post market, with a post where the amount of drop can be adjusted using shims. It looks promising, and hopefully durability is good.

Nice price right now, too.

https://can.oneupcomponents.com/collections/dropper-post/products/dropper-post

April 17, 2018, 2:33 p.m.

OneUp Post just dropped https://can.oneupcomponents.com/collections/dropper-post

April 17, 2018, 5:10 p.m.

Have we ever known OneUp to not make something awesome?

April 17, 2018, 10:15 p.m.

Have we ever known OneUp to not make something awesome?

They do make good products, but a dropper post is more complicated and failure-prone than anything they've attempted to date.

April 18, 2018, 12:07 a.m.

Pretty damn compelling at $200USD ($250-260CAD) without a remote. The travel adjust would be awesome for me. 150mm droppers are a hair (maybe 10mm) too long on my current bike due to a long seat tube and me wanting to run a large with short legs, so I run 125mm with some seat post exposed, this would solve that problem.

Last edited by: grambo on April 18, 2018, 12:08 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 18, 2018, 8:44 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Pretty damn compelling at $200USD ($250-260CAD) without a remote. The travel adjust would be awesome for me. 150mm droppers are a hair (maybe 10mm) too long on my current bike due to a long seat tube and me wanting to run a large with short legs, so I run 125mm with some seat post exposed, this would solve that problem.

Being able to reduce drop is compelling, but it’s also worth looking into stack height of different models. You may be fine with a 150 in some models (e.g. X Fusion Manic).

April 18, 2018, 11:36 p.m.

Had some trouble with my Fall Line lately but they just released a service bulletin where my post fit the bill so now there's a new and improved main seal on its way to me as of today. That being said, I'm all but set to go with a Transfer for my Primer build, and my buddy just picked up his second Transfer to replace a Reverb..

April 19, 2018, 12:16 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Posted by: grambo

Being able to reduce drop is compelling, but it’s also worth looking into stack height of different models. You may be fine with a 150 in some models (e.g. X Fusion Manic).

Good point. There's a Google spreadsheet somewhere (that I thought I bookmarked, but did not) that lists the specs of all dropper posts including stack. I believe the Crank Bros Highline was actually the shortest stack due to the collar/sealhead but maybe the XF is close?

Unless my RF Turbine gives up the ghost (knock on wood) I will just run the 125mm. If it blows up and I can get it warrantied I would sell the post and buy the OneUp if customer reviews are positive.