Dropper Question: Reverb vs Fall Line

April 9, 2018, 12:17 p.m.

So I need a new post. I should have space for a 170/175. I had a great run with my last Reverb (which I sold with the frame since it was a 34.9) - I serviced it once a season and recently swapped out the plunger remote. It was a good post.

But now I need a new post and I've always liked the idea of the Fall Line. Though I'm hearing whisperings that they haven't been as good as they appear to be. Has anyone here actually put some time on one? They both come in a usable length and diameter for me. My question is about function, durability and serviceability.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 9, 2018, 12:59 p.m.

No time on a FallLine, but the reports scared me off on my build as well.  Ended up getting a BikeYoke Revive (160mm).  Im only one ride in, so I cannot give a reliability report.  First impression is that it is well thought out and built and it is supposed to be completely user serviceable.

April 9, 2018, 5:29 p.m.

Posted by: craw

So I need a new post. I should have space for a 170/175. I had a great run with my last Reverb (which I sold with the frame since it was a 34.9) - I serviced it once a season and recently swapped out the plunger remote. It was a good post.

But now I need a new post and I've always liked the idea of the Fall Line. Though I'm hearing whisperings that they haven't been as good as they appear to be. Has anyone here actually put some time on one? They both come in a usable length and diameter for me. My question is about function, durability and serviceability.

I have a 200mm/30.9 Fall line. It stopped holding air last October but I never really got around to fixing it, pulled it up with my thighs for the climb and set it down in the usual manner for the descent. I did replace the main seal on Friday though and it was stupid easy, holds air perfect now. I think the reason it stopped holding air was a combo of pressure washer and sub zero temps. Either way, if it stops holding air again I wont be mad as the job is simple.

April 9, 2018, 6:36 p.m.

I rode the hell out of my 9point8 and it only started losing air in December after maybe 150 rides and I use it a lot. I bought the service kit and redid all the rubber bits and brass deals. Works fine again. I recall looking at the reverb service video and thinking “nofuckingway” I’m doing that. I’ll screw it up. Too many steps. That said my last reverb went two seasons with no service. Only a couple remote bleeds.

April 9, 2018, 8:56 p.m.

Put a 175 Fall Line on my last build.  previous builds include two Reverbs, including the OG version... It was a toss up between the FOX Transfer and the 9.8. 9.8 took the win when they teamed up with WTC for the remote I wanted. No issues with it so far but can't say I've had enough time on it to justify giving it a proper grade.  Setup instruction videos are online and seemed to be pretty straight forward for myself.

April 9, 2018, 10:06 p.m.

The Fall Line seems to be the better choice if you're the kind of person who really gets deep into their gear, is willing to learn and love its quirks and take the long view on ownership.

April 10, 2018, 10:40 a.m.

no experience with the Reverb but I have two 9.8's on separate bikes.  The first one has a solid season of use and zero problems.  Love it.  The second one had a a problem holding air right from purchase (exactly as T-mack describes above).  LBS had an excruciating time getting response/service from 9.8.  By the time I got it back the season was basically over so it has sat in a box since; will put it on one of my bikes as soon as the local trails dry out.  Hopefully it will be fine now but yea, a bit disappointed overall.

April 10, 2018, 11:19 a.m.

I had air leak issue with my 175mm Fall Line as well. Worked Ok before that though. Installation was a bit of a pain too. Just picked up a 170mm TRS+ post (all mechanical design) so I'll see how that holds up!

April 11, 2018, 7:37 p.m.

I wonder if the longer travel posts put so much more leverage at the seal head that air leaks are going to be more common. So perhaps for longer droppers, select one where the seal head does not hold air pressure as well?  Are there any?

April 11, 2018, 7:51 p.m.

Bike Yoke 💗

April 11, 2018, 8:25 p.m.

Posted by: dutch

Bike Yoke 💗

Every review mentions that the post needs to be bled/burped/whatever every time the post goes upside down... like it would when being hung multiple times per week on an NSR rack...

Last edited by: craw on April 11, 2018, 8:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 11, 2018, 8:46 p.m.

So far I've had great luck with it. I do the blurp thing maybe once a month or less. But I can totally see that happening over time.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 11, 2018, 9:30 p.m.

Do you use an NSR rack? What's involved in burping it?

April 11, 2018, 11:17 p.m.

I 've got a recon rack which holds the bike in the same position. I have friends with ns racks as well.

Basically you just take your allen key (or the lever provided) put in in the hole, turn it, push post down, remove key from hole, Release post. It's pretty easy.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 12, 2018, 8:47 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Do you use an NSR rack? What's involved in burping it?

I have an NSR.  Ive only loaded the new bike on and off a few times, but I have never had to 'revive' the post afterward.  Like Dutch said, the revive process takes less than 10 seconds and a 4mm allen key (or provided wrench) if you should need to do it.