Dropper post choice

Jan. 22, 2015, 10:23 a.m.

I love my Thomson dropper, a bunch of my riding buddies have them now too and have had no issues with them. As Gladeplayboy said though…no one is making one that is perfect yet, they all have their own issues. If I was buying now, I would go Thomson or Reverb and not mess with the rest.

I do admit the new 9point8 looks interesting and I can't wait to hear how Rob likes his.

I would add Thomson to my very shortlist of acceptable droppers, but I can't stomach the $500+ asking price.

Jan. 22, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

Im chocked to see that a reverb seal kit is $50 USD. What a jip for a handfull of o rings and plastic bushings.

Jan. 22, 2015, 12:30 p.m.

Yes, and yes. They are all great, until they fail, which they invariably will. I've had posts from all the major players (except Thomson) and they all eventually shit the bed, some sooner than later. Having said that I have had the "most" success with the Reverb. I am currently without a dropper after 10+ years of running them due to the reliability issues. Currently waiting until the 9point8 Fall Line comes out in the spring to delve back into this market.

Thanks for the reply, I have heard of issues, but still right now riding without one really is a bummer for me.

The Thomson one is really expensive, so no matter how reliability may be, a no sale for me.

How easy are the Reverb or the KS to service? Is it possible to do it yourself?

Never heard of the new one you are mentioning, or I forgot about it.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 22, 2015, 12:51 p.m.

Thanks for the reply, I have heard of issues, but still right now riding without one really is a bummer for me.

The Thomson one is really expensive, so no matter how reliability may be, a no sale for me.

How easy are the Reverb or the KS to service? Is it possible to do it yourself?

Never heard of the new one you are mentioning, or I forgot about it.

The Reverb is probably your best bet since it is within your budget. The 9point8 Fall Line isn't due out for a few months and to be honest it will be a bit of a gamble as its just coming to market. I am hoping some good old Canadian engineering, design and manufacturing will push this post to the top in terms of reliability. Hopefully, some day reliability will be ubiquitous across all brands.

Jan. 22, 2015, 1:12 p.m.

go reverb from bike discount.de. they're giving them away there (ie, $210usd for std, $260 for stealth). no idea how they do it.

Jan. 22, 2015, 7:18 p.m.

Think I am on the road to a dropper post as well. I have basically two options/choices, but I am wary of info from the internet and the "sponsored" journalism some of us talked about in another thread.

My two choices are limited because of money.

Rock Shox Reverb 31.6/420 and 125mm of travel

or

Kind Shock Supernatural 31.6/435 and 150mm of travel

Now, the KS offers more travel compared to the RS Reverb.

The internet says both are either great or a complete failure. I am not sure, the only thing I am sure about is that I no longer want to ride without one.

I need NSMB's wisdom.

check out this site i got my reverb thru them , it,s a stealth version and it was $340cdn to my door

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 23, 2015, 9:33 a.m.

I am eagerly awaiting the new 9point8 Fall Line.

Fully mechanical post with stealth routing and made in Canada by a good group of guys.

The first round of proto's was 100mm travel but they're upping that to 125mm for the production version. They are also working on an internal sleeve to limit the travel for those of us that don't do the full drop. Currently I run the "enduro collar" on the Reverb and only use about 60mm of drop, will be nice to be able to internally set this and keep the post looking clean.

Jan. 23, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

The fact that it is fully mechanical and fully adjustable is huge…if they get this right it really could be a winner. Looks user serviceable too…very nice!

Jan. 23, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

Fully mechanical post with stealth routing and made in Canada by a good group of guys.

The first round of proto's was 100mm travel but they're upping that to 125mm for the production version. They are also working on an internal sleeve to limit the travel for those of us that don't do the full drop. Currently I run the "enduro collar" on the Reverb and only use about 60mm of drop, will be nice to be able to internally set this and keep the post looking clean.

Yep, that's the one I'm waiting for.

Jan. 23, 2015, 9:59 a.m.

i remember seeing a clip about this post and it looked like you have to use the thumb lever alot getting it up or down , i like the hydraulic release the lever and it goes up or down .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 23, 2015, 10:31 a.m.

i remember seeing a clip about this post and it looked like you have to use the thumb lever alot getting it up or down , i like the hydraulic release the lever and it goes up or down .

That is their current model the Pulse.

It can be actuated in 5mm increments, so you can click the lever once and move up or down 5mm, multiple clicks is multiple moves. Or you can just pull in the lever and move infinite.

They are changing the 5mm to 10mm increments. The tech in the stepper that allows this type of movement can't be done in stealth layout.

Having ridden lots back in Ontario where these guys designed the Pule for it makes sense. Lots of rolling singletrack where 5-10mm drop can change the way you attack trail, then go up to full height for climbing. You might choose to ride 95% of your ride in the 5mm down position and only use the full up for stepper longer climbs. Much more time seated during the ride.

Jan. 23, 2015, 11:29 a.m.

technically its not fully mechanical as its supported by air :D

remember the black mamba? lol

edit * or is it fully mechanical? doesnt quite say.

Jan. 23, 2015, 12:06 p.m.

My two choices are limited because of money.

Rock Shox Reverb 31.6/420 and 125mm of travel

or

Kind Shock Supernatural 31.6/435 and 150mm of travel

Now, the KS offers more travel compared to the RS Reverb.

i'd say reverb stealth. a moving cable sucks ass. the ks lev is still the most user friendly if you can swing it.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 29, 2015, 3:17 a.m.

go reverb from bike discount.de. they're giving them away there (ie, $210usd for std, $260 for stealth). no idea how they do it.

The fact that it is fully mechanical and fully adjustable is huge…if they get this right it really could be a winner. Looks user serviceable too…very nice!

Looks promising - but guess it will end up being pretty expensive over here in Europe.

i'd say reverb stealth. a moving cable sucks ass. the ks lev is still the most user friendly if you can swing it.

Thanks for your replies. :)

Personally, I rather tend to favor the KS dropzone which is lever actuated (2 bolts, no hassle with a cable), but as some of you have said - that is not always the right decision, and since I have zero personal experience, I'd rather go with a logical decision.

Another question I have - is a remote really necessary? Reaching for the lever should not be more difficult than scratching when it's itching?!

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 29, 2015, 6 a.m.

Looks promising - but guess it will end up being pretty expensive over here in Europe.

Thanks for your replies. :)

Personally, I rather tend to favor the KS dropzone which is lever actuated (2 bolts, no hassle with a cable), but as some of you have said - that is not always the right decision, and since I have zero personal experience, I'd rather go with a logical decision.

Another question I have - is a remote really necessary? Reaching for the lever should not be more difficult than scratching when it's itching?!

Don't even a consider a non-remote dropper. Its just a bad idea.