Dropper post choice

July 10, 2014, 9:26 a.m.

mine's been absolutely flawless as well. only had to bleed the system when i replaced the lever due to a crash (had a top mounted left lever; replaced with an under bar mount to fend off a repeat occurrence). love the thing; not a complaint to be had from me (i can't feel the wiggle on the bike).

Yeah if I go with the reverb I will get the right hand switch and mount it on the left upside down. I ride 1x right now anyway so I shift with the right, drop the seat with the left.

Is the reverb fairly straight-forward to install? I imagine it's pretty easy except for possibly the issue of shortening the hydraulic cable and bleeding the system but if the instructions are good and the equipment is all included then it should be not too bad.

Wrong. Always.

July 10, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

I agree on the GD points you make Biggles…it is probably the most reliable, easily serviceable post on the market.

But being a bigger guy….I won't even think about one for myself. I think my size is the root of all the issues I have had with the various posts I have tried. I do hope that someone comes out with a post that can hold up to the abuse I dole out on my posts. Till then I will rock my Thomson (once I heal up and they send me my new one)!

July 10, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

Good points. GD needs an internally routed dropper in their lineup. And a bit of "aesthetics" engineering would go a long way to improving their market perception.

Internal routing wouldn't really accomplish much, since it already has a fixed cable. It could look a little better, but honestly, function[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]form for me every time.

Another thing that I like; the seat comes up fast. It's there when you need it. There's not much force in the spring, so it won't hurt you if it hits, but some of the other posts, like the Reverb (before rebuilding with lighter oil) the seat comes up too slowly. When you want the seat up, you shouldn't have to wait for it.

July 10, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

PSA. Thompsons are 350ish at CRC for 27.2 posts. I need 31.6 tho.

Wrong. Always.

July 10, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

Internal routing wouldn't really accomplish much, since it already has a fixed cable. It could look a little better, but honestly, function[HTML_REMOVED][HTML_REMOVED]form for me every time.

Another thing that I like; the seat comes up fast. It's there when you need it. There's not much force in the spring, so it won't hurt you if it hits, but some of the other posts, like the Reverb (before rebuilding with lighter oil) the seat comes up too slowly. When you want the seat up, you shouldn't have to wait for it.

Internal routing is the only option on many new frames. As for return speed most droppers are fast enough.

July 11, 2014, 3:02 p.m.

Loving my KS Lev that I had installed last week. The store where I purchased it from/installed will service it at the same time I take the bike in for a regular service.

July 11, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

Loving my KS Lev that I had installed last week. The store where I purchased it from/installed will service it at the same time I take the bike in for a regular service.

Unless the nitrogen chamber goes…then it's off to Norco. :)

July 11, 2014, 3:33 p.m.

There's not much force in the spring, so it won't hurt you if it hits, but some of the other posts, like the Reverb (before rebuilding with lighter oil) the seat comes up too slowly. When you want the seat up, you shouldn't have to wait for it.

If you can't adjust a Reverb to come up really fast then you have air in the system or have tightened the seatpost clamp too hard.

Jan. 22, 2015, 4:32 a.m.

Think I am on the road to a dropper post as well. I have basically two options/choices, but I am wary of info from the internet and the "sponsored" journalism some of us talked about in another thread.

My two choices are limited because of money.

Rock Shox Reverb 31.6/420 and 125mm of travel

or

Kind Shock Supernatural 31.6/435 and 150mm of travel

Now, the KS offers more travel compared to the RS Reverb.

The internet says both are either great or a complete failure. I am not sure, the only thing I am sure about is that I no longer want to ride without one.

I need NSMB's wisdom.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 22, 2015, 6:05 a.m.

Think I am on the road to a dropper post as well. I have basically two options/choices, but I am wary of info from the internet and the "sponsored" journalism some of us talked about in another thread.

My two choices are limited because of money.

Rock Shox Reverb 31.6/420 and 125mm of travel

or

Kind Shock Supernatural 31.6/435 and 150mm of travel

Now, the KS offers more travel compared to the RS Reverb.

The internet says both are either great or a complete failure. I am not sure, the only thing I am sure about is that I no longer want to ride without one.

I need NSMB's wisdom.

Yes, and yes. They are all great, until they fail, which they invariably will. I've had posts from all the major players (except Thomson) and they all eventually shit the bed, some sooner than later. Having said that I have had the "most" success with the Reverb. I am currently without a dropper after 10+ years of running them due to the reliability issues. Currently waiting until the 9point8 Fall Line comes out in the spring to delve back into this market.

Jan. 22, 2015, 7:22 a.m.

So whatever happened with Crankbros latest uppy downy post? (Insert sounds of crickets here)

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 22, 2015, 8:49 a.m.

So whatever happened with Crankbros latest uppy downy post? (Insert sounds of crickets here)

They should not be allowed to bring another POS dropper to market…

Jan. 22, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

My wife's new bike came with the updated X-Fusion Hilo SL. Out of the gate, it seems to work well. She's about 9 rides in and so far no complaints. For small hands, she finds the joystick style remote very easy to hit (although I think it exposes the cable to the elements more easily).

ONline, X-Fusion has a very good service section and manuals, so it looks like home support is a fairly straight-forward reality.

So, what should I expect from this post? Is it really a piece of crap in disguise as it seems descent out of the box?

Jan. 22, 2015, 9:35 a.m.

My wife's new bike came with the updated X-Fusion Hilo SL. Out of the gate, it seems to work well. She's about 9 rides in and so far no complaints. For small hands, she finds the joystick style remote very easy to hit (although I think it exposes the cable to the elements more easily).

ONline, X-Fusion has a very good service section and manuals, so it looks like home support is a fairly straight-forward reality.

So, what should I expect from this post? Is it really a piece of crap in disguise as it seems descent out of the box?

I had one… went back for warranty 3 times in 2 months. I may have had a lemon, who knows. Just my 2 cents.

Jan. 22, 2015, 10:20 a.m.

I love my Thomson dropper, a bunch of my riding buddies have them now too and have had no issues with them. As Gladeplayboy said though…no one is making one that is perfect yet, they all have their own issues. If I was buying now, I would go Thomson or Reverb and not mess with the rest.

I do admit the new 9point8 looks interesting and I can't wait to hear how Rob likes his.