Dropper post choice

July 9, 2014, 8:55 a.m.

Dave at bicyclehub can fix up a Reverb quite nicely… fyi

:canada:

July 9, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

What bugs me is when they fail at a dangerous time. Like if I'm going in hot and about to drop something and the seat won't drop because the switch is bunged up. Then you get a choad full of seat you didn't want to be there. It's times like that where I say I should just go back to quick release and run the seat at a "compromise" height for most of the trail and drop it right down at key points.

Bonus…weight loss!

But who am I trying to kid…the dropper is pretty handy when it's working well.

Wrong. Always.

July 9, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

My Thomson dropper just arrived, will give update after some time on it. What a piece af art, this thing looks awesome

July 9, 2014, 12:03 p.m.

They all have issues and I have talked to riders who have had great experiences and horrible experiences with just about every post out there. I think if you are a larger guy like myself you will have more issues…I have not found a post that has been flawless yet…but I have not tried them all yet. :)

They will change the way you ride, but be prepared to send it back in for work, they are not near being close to the reliability of the rest of our bikes yet and when you consider how much they cost you really have to figure out if it is worth it for you.

sorry, none of this applies to the gravity dropper. you just can't generalize about "all" dropper posts when there's an option out there as reliable as a chris king headset

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 9, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

sorry, none of this applies to the gravity dropper. you just can't generalize about "all" dropper posts when there's an option out there as reliable as a chris king headset

I wouldn't go that far… I used two versions of the GD (regular and Turbo) over the years… they tend to need more regular maintenance to keep working well and the remote is dorky (there I said it). Nothing is perfect.

July 9, 2014, 12:06 p.m.

I have not tried a GD but I understand they are not perfect either. They do from what I have read require more frequent, but easy to perform maintenance. I was told that the pins and/or holes do wear and have been known to malfunction. Again not first hand experience but something I was told by someone with a ton of shop experience.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 9, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

What's wrong with the Reverb? They get good reviews and I like the idea of hydraulic lines. And price isn't bad either (they are always on sale somewhere.) Are they unreliable?

Wrong. Always.

July 9, 2014, 12:53 p.m.

What's wrong with the Reverb? They get good reviews and I like the idea of hydraulic lines. And price isn't bad either (they are always on sale somewhere.) Are they unreliable?

Nothing… my Reverb has lasted 3 years without a rebuild and just the odd bleed. They are generally pretty reliable.

July 9, 2014, 7:10 p.m.

They are reliable, however they aren't as nice and buttery smooth on the up/down and they feel a little cheap. Also, your seat will have a little left/right wiggle.

July 9, 2014, 9:41 p.m.

They are reliable, however they aren't as nice and buttery smooth on the up/down and they feel a little cheap. Also, your seat will have a little left/right wiggle.

so you prefer something stable and solid up your behind?

July 9, 2014, 10:06 p.m.

I stand by my words. Every post has issues. Don't think that GD has issues…do a search in google for broken gravity dropper and you will find lots of images like this:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/all-mountain/696731d1337055426-how-gravity-droppers-holding-up-under-clydesdales-2nd-broken-gd.jpg

I have know a few riders who have had to send theirs back. Nothing is black and white like that. For every rider who has had a ton of issues with a post you will find one that has never had an issue….the reality is that none of them are super reliable but they are getting better.

July 10, 2014, 7:17 a.m.

I stand by my words. Every post has issues. Don't think that GD has issues…do a search in google for broken gravity dropper and you will find lots of images like this:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/all-mountain/696731d1337055426-how-gravity-droppers-holding-up-under-clydesdales-2nd-broken-gd.jpg

I have know a few riders who have had to send theirs back. Nothing is black and white like that. For every rider who has had a ton of issues with a post you will find one that has never had an issue….the reality is that none of them are super reliable but they are getting better.

Oh yeah, I snapped the inner post on my GD many years back. The company does have pretty stellar customer service.

July 10, 2014, 8:28 a.m.

Everything will break, that's sort of irrelevant. What matters is the availability of parts and ease of service. If you can't easily get parts, or service is slow and/or really expensive, then it will mean that your post won't be on your bike in working condition as much as it should be. GD really wins at the ownership cost thing: Yeah, they are ugly, a bit clunky and industrial, and you can't be a big guy and reliably get away with using one, but, when a full rebuild costs $18+Shipping, and you can buy any part, even custom build some (for different seat heights), easily rebuild yourself and the owner of the company will respond with clear detailed answers to your questions within hours, then that's something that really needs to be considered.

I like other posts, but left to choose, it would be a GD nearly every time because of the low cost of ownership and reliability.

July 10, 2014, 9:02 a.m.

Everything will break, that's sort of irrelevant. What matters is the availability of parts and ease of service. If you can't easily get parts, or service is slow and/or really expensive, then it will mean that your post won't be on your bike in working condition as much as it should be. GD really wins at the ownership cost thing: Yeah, they are ugly, a bit clunky and industrial, and you can't be a big guy and reliably get away with using one, but, when a full rebuild costs $18+Shipping, and you can buy any part, even custom build some (for different seat heights), easily rebuild yourself and the owner of the company will respond with clear detailed answers to your questions within hours, then that's something that really needs to be considered.

I like other posts, but left to choose, it would be a GD nearly every time because of the low cost of ownership and reliability.

Good points. GD needs an internally routed dropper in their lineup. And a bit of "aesthetics" engineering would go a long way to improving their market perception.

July 10, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

Nothing… my Reverb has lasted 3 years without a rebuild and just the odd bleed. They are generally pretty reliable.

mine's been absolutely flawless as well. only had to bleed the system when i replaced the lever due to a crash (had a top mounted left lever; replaced with an under bar mount to fend off a repeat occurrence). love the thing; not a complaint to be had from me (i can't feel the wiggle on the bike).